Wiki Posts
Search

One Way Rentals in Australia?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2003, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
One Way Rentals in Australia?

I have booked a car from Adelaide airport with a drop-off at Melbourne airport. The web site does not give any details about one way drop-off fees (if any).

Does Avis Australia charge one-way fees?

Cheers
Dave - Japan
Old Apr 28, 2003, 3:48 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
Does Avis Australia charge one-way fees?</font>
I don't know about Aussie, but I hired a car in New Zealand the other day and drove from Auckland to Christchurch. Avis swapped the cars at Wellington and Picton so I didn't need to take the car on the inter-island ferry and there was no one-way fee.

Not wanting to be funny but have you considered phoning Avis and asking them about one-way rentals in Australia? :-)

You should check it out though, I was going to take a one-way rental from Dublin to the London once and they wanted to charge Ł1000 one-way fee. There was no mention of this on the website, I only found out when I went to pick the car up. :-(

[This message has been edited by Ex Amex Card (edited 04-28-2003).]
Old Apr 28, 2003, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I'll phone AVIS in Australia and find out. I will then post what I find here. I have rented from AVIS on One Ways in Australia before without charge (but this booking is from travelocity).

Cheers
Dave
Old May 2, 2003, 5:14 pm

I've rented w/Avis at least 5 times in Australia. 3 of the rentals were 1ways and I never saw any drop-off fee. Come to think of it, Nat'l and Hertz don't seem to charge drop off fees either down there.
Old May 4, 2003, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Rented from Hertz and while there was no drop fee per se the rate was about $25 higher for the week for a SYD-MEL rental than it would have been for a rental with a SYD return. Great service from Hertz.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

No One way drop fees. This is actually not bad!
Old Jun 26, 2003, 1:59 am

I just found out that there can be a small penalty for renting one-way. At certain locations (e.g., Brisbane downtown) you won't be able to get the lowest rate, i.e., the economy car, if you book a one-way rental. If you return the car at the same location, it seems to be about AUD 20/week cheaper, as it lets you book into the economy category (which, AFAIK, offers the same vehicle as the compact cat., not sure why... perhaps with the economy you get a standard, and with the compact you get automatic).

The difference is so small that it's hardly noticeable, however.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by honu:
perhaps with the economy you get a standard, and with the compact you get automatic).

</font>
You are exactly right about the auto/standard thing. I prefer the standard so this is one case where an "upgrade" is not welcomed.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:46 am
Suspended

any good codes for australia?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:13 pm

Programs: KF, SPG
Last year i Was able to use following codes for discount of 20-30%. D131135 & D086533 (Don't know if they still work).
Old Aug 1, 2003, 7:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Just did a rental from Brisbane City to BNE AP with 8 days inbetween, no drop charge. I could not tell from the internet, so I called the Avis # and they said from the place we were renting no fee. The rate was cheaper on the internet (Avis.com) than the 800 #. Rented a standard. Wilson Car Park, 133 Albert Street (looks close to the Hilton)
Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:00 pm
Suspended

any good new codes for australian rentals?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

D086066
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Try the D0XXXXX rates in the Avis codes page. Some gave me very good rates in WA (about $60/day for a 4WD). D086689 is one.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 08-26-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.