Driving on the 407 ETR Toll Road in Toronto?

Old May 9, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: HHD
Originally Posted by Critic
Was there a reason you couldn't navigate around the toll road?
Just a mistake. Thought I could pay with cash, but I could not. Tried to find out how to pay, but in those days the internet was not that informative. So we decided let's see and wait. And now we know better.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
The $17 administration fee from AVIS strikes me as steep. . . . not unexpected but unreasonable. I suppose this is a caution to all of us about driving on toll roads with rental vehichles.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
The $17 administration fee from AVIS strikes me as steep. . . . not unexpected but unreasonable. I suppose this is a caution to all of us about driving on toll roads with rental vehichles.
Thats actually half the price of most AVIS admin fee's... Usually (like when I get a parking ticket and forget to pay it) the admin fee is $35.00

So I was actually pleased in this situation.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I agree - the $17 is an Avis admin fee? That does seem pretty high for using a toll road.
Old May 18, 2013, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by texdoc
I agree - the $17 is an Avis admin fee? That does seem pretty high for using a toll road.
Its half the price of the usual AVIS admin fee when you blow through a toll.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Its half the price of the usual AVIS admin fee when you blow through a toll.
Yeah, but this isn't "blowing through" a toll.

On my last rental with Hertz, I believe they said their fee was down to $12.50 plus the 407's actual charges.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
On my last rental with Hertz, I believe they said their fee was down to $12.50 plus the 407's actual charges.
So you feel a difference of $4.50 is really unreasonable? Good grief. Who cares. Its less than a Starbucks coffee.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Interesting. When I drove my own, Massachusetts-registered, car on the 407, going in I expected I'd be paying a toll taker, then saw the apparatus at the same time as I was beginning to contemplate the beautiful highway. (All in, so to speak.) Curse word. But I never received a bill. I guess, with a rental car, they know they have you ...and they do. Regardless of which side of the border you rented it.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
They should allow a way to pay by plate number PROACTIVELY. Utter pain in the rear to use the 407 with a rental car. NO way to prevent a rental agency from gouging you. Other toll agencies worldwide allow you to pay by plate/register a car being on the roadway. For the amount of money the toll road folks waste on paper bills you would think they would move to electronic proactive payments... Better yet allow me to input my plate number and date and let me pay ANY outstanding tolls within 14 days and charge me a surcharge for doing that - still got to be cheaper than letting a rental agency charge their nasty fees.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
They should allow a way to pay by plate number PROACTIVELY.
(I realize this was a year ago, but in case anyone looks this up ...)

They do. Go to www.407etr.com, set up an account, and register the plate number. Then when there's a charge, it'll go straight to your account and you can pay it directly. It's the same price, but at least the rental car agency isn't tacking on nuisance fees.

I have a New York plate and in my experience, about one time out of 5 they don't bill me, presumably because the plate read failed. Rumor says that if you have Vermont plates you travel for free because Vermont, having no toll facilities of their own, declines to cooperate with out of state toll collectors so they can't get the billing info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.