Sneaky 'drop fee' in ANC

Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Sneaky 'drop fee' in ANC

After avoiding Avis for 20 years because of several bad experiences I recently rented for a week in ANC. Normally such a rental would go to Hertz but their rate was more than $200 higher. Airport fees are about $100 so I rented from the Avis downtown location to drop off at the airport. That works fine with Hertz in the US and Europe. My Avis reservation confirmation only mentions no additional fees for this scenario and when I picked the car up there was not a peep about this. But when I dropped the car off, bingo, a $29.90 'drop fee' had to be collected. Turns out it is printed at the bottom of the contract so not much to contest. At that time the downtown location was closed and I had still avoided most of the regular airport fees but still, I really hate these kinds of surprises. The lady at the booth was nice and apologetic, she told me she got a lot of push back for this fee. They should really disclose this better. I guess I'll have to continue my boycott for another 20 years....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Was this not quoted in your original quote? If not, and you have proof, complain to Avis.com. If they give you nothing, then go to your credit card, as it's a change of contract. I understand it's on your contract and you signed the contract, but you were already at the location without much choice when they changed the terms of your CONFIRMED reservation.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Was this not quoted in your original quote? If not, and you have proof, complain to Avis.com. If they give you nothing, then go to your credit card, as it's a change of contract. I understand it's on your contract and you signed the contract, but you were already at the location without much choice when they changed the terms of your CONFIRMED reservation.
Agree.

Here's a sample price quote on a one-way reservation from the downtown office to ANC:

Weekly rate
1 week(s) @ $594.00 $594.00

Subtotal $594.00
Taxes and Fees Help $106.92
Drop Charge $0.00

Total due at rental counter : $700.92
Here are the specific terms and conditions in the GDS about one-way drop fees:

FOR ACCURATE RATE QUOTE, ENTER LOCATION CODE OF THE DROP
OFF LOCATION IN THE APPROPRIATE FIELD FOR THE BEST AVAILABLE
RATE. IF A DROP OFF CHARGE APPLIES TO THE RESERVATION,
IT WILL BE RETURNED WITH THE CONFIRMATION. CARS ARE SUBJECT
TO ONE WAY AVAILABILITY AND FEES.
Therefore, if Avis refuses to credit you for the drop, refer back to your reservation and state that it explicitly said that a drop fee did not apply and would not be applied if it was not quoted to you in the reservation.

Avis Alaska is an independent franchise and tries to get away with policies and procedures that are contrary to Avis corporate standards, and you may encounter some resistance from Avis HQ in dealing with them because of their status as a franchise, but press forward. If you get nowhere with Avis, I would file a dispute with your credit card company.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Avis Alaska is an independent franchise and tries to get away with policies and procedures that are contrary to Avis corporate standards, and you may encounter some resistance from Avis HQ in dealing with them because of their status as a franchise, but press forward. If you get nowhere with Avis, I would file a dispute with your credit card company.
I would also immediately file a Better Business Bureau (BBB.org) complaint against them. Avis Alaska tries to be sneaky on these kind of things and if enough of us complain, maybe others will not rent from them or they will change their policies..
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Great advice everyone, this is good to know, thank you! I mailed Avis to have the fee reversed and I'll give them a few days to respond. The fee was not mentioned on the original reservation but not in the way posted above.

I also don't like it that they do not automatically deduct the AWD codes. When I got the car I did not remember what the code in the reservation was for so I did not get the discount. I'm going to try and get that back as well.

Will report back later.

Last edited by robbert; Jul 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by robbert
Great advice everyone, this is good to know, thank you! I mailed Avis to have the fee reversed and I'll give them a few days to respond. The fee was not mentioned on the original reservation but not in the way posted above.

I also don't like it that they do not automatically deduct the AWD codes. When I got the car I did not remember what the code in the reservation was for so I did not get the discount. I'm going to try and get that back as well.

Will report back later.
It's Avis of Alaska, a franchise.

Renting from them, it's more like you rented from some completely different company than Avis. They don't honor most of the Avis coupons, they don't participate in Avis First, they don't do anything much for President's Club members, they don't ..(I think you are getting the idea here.)

They are really good at collecting for every ding on your car, though.

Yup.

David
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Got mail back from Avis that their computer system is "not-mechanized" meaning that they can not see rental contracts from ANC. They refer me to a phone number in ANC. I submitted my request through the ANC Avis website, will see what that brings.

And no, they did not even look at the car when I dropped it off. There were a few very minor scratches that I photographed before driving off just in case. The lady just asked a couple of times if there had been any problems with the car (no).
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:58 pm

Got mail back from Avis that their computer system is "not-mechanized" meaning that they can not see rental contracts from ANC. They refer me to a phone number in ANC. I submitted my request through the ANC Avis website, will see what that brings.
I hate that Avis claims that ANC (and ILM, another franchise that I regularly have issues with) when they claim "sorry, they are a franchise and we can't do anything about it." Some of these franchises are not following corporate standards and Avis looks the other way.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh, not a good sign. I would press forward with Avis corporate, not Avis in ANC, and tell them basically "Tough, it's not my problem that you can't see ANC's contracts. You deal with it internally; I expect my problem to be solved by you."

Avis ANC won't do anything for you--or if they do, I'll be shocked.

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I hate that Avis claims that ANC (and ILM, another franchise that I regularly have issues with) when they claim "sorry, they are a franchise and we can't do anything about it." Some of these franchises are not following corporate standards and Avis looks the other way.
It's very stupid. As a premium company, you'd expect them to have procedures in place for this. Dollar Thrifty has systems in place to import the rental data from their franchises, and even in situations where it isn't working right, their customer service department will manually contact the individual franchise to obtain records by fax. Dollar Thrifty's customer service department even has the ability to make judgments on customer service situations and back-bill the individual franchise if a judgment is made in favor of the customer. If the value brands can do it, certainly Avis should.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Got a call from Avis ANC that they will apply the coupon and return the drop-fee, basically going back to the rate I agreed to in the original reservation. Will give them a few days to get this back on the credit card (nothing yet). We'll see....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got a call from Avis ANC that they will apply the coupon and return the drop-fee, basically going back to the rate I agreed to in the original reservation. Will give them a few days to get this back on the credit card (nothing yet). We'll see....
Well, color me shocked.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Well, color me shocked.
Same here, I'm not counting on anything until I see it on my CC statement.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:55 am

Well, color me shocked.
Same here! Too bad it takes one complaining to get the originally agreed-upon contract. How many people aren't as proactive as those here and are getting hit with charges? In cases like above, I'm still a fan of contacting the BBB if they "fix" the issue so that others can be alerted to your issues.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Just to paint the other half of the picture- not all Avis franchisees are bad. I usually rent from Avis corporate offices in airports, but sometimes rent from a small town franchisee. They own two or three offices. They regularly upgrade me at no fee, and are generally pleasant and reasonable.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by former1k
Just to paint the other half of the picture- not all Avis franchisees are bad. I usually rent from Avis corporate offices in airports, but sometimes rent from a small town franchisee. They own two or three offices. They regularly upgrade me at no fee, and are generally pleasant and reasonable.
Most Avis "franchises" are actually what Avis calls "Agencies"--they are basically contract-operated "storefronts" for Avis. The Agency operator supplies the real estate, local marketing (often just buying brochures, etc. from Avis corporate), staffing, uniforms, and other such miscellaneous expenses. Avis corporate supplies the biggest line item: the cars. In exchange for renting them, Avis pays the operator a small percent of the base rental rate as well as a portion of additional sales (coverage, gas, etc.). Avis corporate determines (based on analytics such as demand, supply, and past performance) the ratees and how many cars each Agency location gets to rent, and cars can be given to or taken away from them at any time.

With these stores, though, you're pretty much renting from Avis corporate, except that a contract employee is filling out your rental agreement. Any issues you have with the rental after that point can be handled by Avis corporate--you can stop at a full corporate store (like a nearby airport) to exchange the car if you have problems, or you can call Avis's central phone number to process modifications to your rental (extensions, change drop location, etc.). These Avis Agencies use the Avis corporate computer system ("Wizard"), and to anyone at Avis pulling the rental up in their system (whether another Avis location or a post-rental customer service representative), it looks just like a regular Avis rental. To the customer, too, it's a pretty transparent process, since Avis provides the computer system, sets the rental policies, and requires the Agency to adhere to Avis corporate standards

Avis in ANC is a very rare type of Avis franchise (since they've been a franchise since 1956)--a fully-independently-owned-and-operated licensee. Instead of Avis corporate paying them a small percentage of the revenue, they buy their own cars, set their own rates, and get to keep all of the revenue they earn (except for a small portion--a few percent--they pay to Avis as part of their franchise fee). Of course, they're responsible for the car payments for the thousand or so cars they keep around--not an insignificant sum. Since they maintain full risk and responsibility for any things that might happen to their vehicles, they are free to set their own policies (within reason). In short, they're basically an independent rental company that happens to carry the big red Avis logo (and pays a small premium to do so).

They also provide their own computer system that isn't integrated well with Avis corporate's (as mentioned above). In fact, Avis once offered the Alaska franchise the option to move to Avis corporate's computer system in order to provide better service to Avis customers, but Avis Alaska declined. Why? Because that would have given Avis corporate the ability to fully see into the franchise's operations and financials. (Avis Alaska has a tumultuous relationship with corporate over the years--check out this story, which made big headlines in the industry trade publications.)

I have no beef with Avis Alaska and wish it much success. However, that success cannot come at the expense of not honoring the basic standards of Avis corporate, especially not honoring reservations and rates as promised and refusing to honor the benefits that elite members are entitled to as part of their loyalty. I also fault Avis Budget Group for not holding Avis Alaska to its standards and not requiring the infrastructure to allow Avis corporate to deal effectively with complaints about their Alaska franchise, especially when other companies (even discount brands that supposedly provide poorer service) do provide that infrastructure.

On a related note, here's an interesting article about the problems that Agencies have had with Avis corporate.

Last edited by jackal; Jul 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.