FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Benefit of Weekly Renting with Avis (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1348543-benefit-weekly-renting-avis.html)

hangingchad May 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Benefit of Weekly Renting with Avis

Hello,

I am a huge proponent of Avis except in one area: Earning free rentals.

I rent a car from Avis for 4 days / week pretty much every week. I love the service, the cars, the upgrades, etc. However, my one issue is the lack of a proprietary point system that would allow an exchange of points for free rental days.

IMO, Hertz obliterates Avis in this area. As a President's Circle member, i earn 1 point for every dollar i spend on a rental at Hertz (plus a 30% bonus on all points). These points can be used for free rentals.

One might argue that the Avis First "free weekend" coupons are comparable; however, I disagree. The Hertz points system allows you to not only get a free standard car for a few days, but it allows you to spend more points to reserve a specific car (ie a camaro convertible for those summer vacations, or a nice SUV when you need more space). In fact, with Hertz points, you can reserve a vehicle for a single day or an entire week.

I really wish Avis had something like this available. Since I travel weekly, I am able to get free hotel rooms, free flights, etc, but rental cars are the one thing i still find myself paying for when i go on vacation. I end up reserving a full for a decent rate and hoping I get upgraded to a nice car. I usually end up getting pretty good upgrades b/c of my PC status, but if I wanted to reserve a specific car, I wouldn't be able to.

In the end - is it worth it to put up with (imo) crappier service / cars on a weekly basis to earn the free rentals of awesome cars through points (Hertz) - or is it better to continue renting with Avis and getting great service / cars but still paying for my personal rentals and not being able to specifically request that Camaro SS Convertible when I want it for a weekend (unless I pay the big $$).

Alternatively, many of you may feel that the best use of rental rewards is to accumulate airline miles (ie, the US Airways 3000 miles / Avis rental promo going on right now).

Any and all opinions are appreciated - sorry for the long rant. Also, feel free to chime in with any good partner miles promos that are going on right now. I typically fly United, so I would love a good mileage promotion with Avis.

Thanks for reading,

Chad

bkafrick May 21, 2012 1:14 pm

I agree 100% on the accumulation of some sort of loyalty points. To add to your frustration, no "free weekend" points accumulate when you credit to a Freq Flyer program, which I dont really understand... really because we PAY for those miles in the $.75 or $1.00/day Freq Flyer surcharge.

But anyway... at the end of the day its about the service I receive 40 weeks a year renting cars vs the 2 weeks a year i'm going on vacation, that makes me stay with AVIS. They've never screwed me, and I too enjoy my PC status.

If a $250 car rental is what I have to shell out on vacation to have peace of mind the other weeks of the year, its worth it to me.

My two cents.

IAHtraveler May 21, 2012 1:40 pm

It's worth noting that Avis regularly also has the Free to Get Away Promo. This will get you a free day with every 2 two-day rentals. If you max it out, it's easy to start another Wizard # and start over. Granted, your new account(s) wont have First/etc, but you can do this easily.

guv1976 May 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Don't forget that airline miles in certain programs can be redeemed for free (or nearly free) car rentals.

CreditMadeEZ May 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by hangingchad (Post 18616236)
Alternatively, many of you may feel that the best use of rental rewards is to accumulate airline miles (ie, the US Airways 3000 miles / Avis rental promo going on right now).

Any and all opinions are appreciated - sorry for the long rant. Also, feel free to chime in with any good partner miles promos that are going on right now. I typically fly United, so I would love a good mileage promotion with Avis.

It isn't miles and isn't the best redemption, but you can get 9,000 Club Carlson points for 3+ day rentals. 29,000 points can be redeemed for $50 at Avis.

Then you have flexibility and don't have to worry about short expiration times of non-transferrable rental days or weekends.