Wiki Posts
Search

Avis bureaucracy

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Avis bureaucracy

On a recent trip to Europe I hit a pillar in one of those narrow parking garages, causing a scratch on the door. So Avis charged me for the damage, some 300 Euros. So far so good, I submitted the damage report to my insurance, they asked me to request a "generic cost matrix" from Avis.

That's when it gets interesting. I sent a request to Avis, got an answer that they needed 30 days to process this! After about 20 days I followed up and asked the status - got a standard blah blah blah answer, basically giving me the first answer again in slightly different words. I followed up again, asking for more details. Surprisingly I did get more details, one of them being that their european partner needs 30 BUSINESS days to process this.

It has been a while since I heard about anything taking 30 days, not to speak of 30 business days. I am pretty sure what I will hear after the 30 business days are over. Are they walking this to Europe?

Any advise on how to cut through this thicket would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Update - Avis came through

Originally Posted by drminn
On a recent trip to Europe I hit a pillar in one of those narrow parking garages, causing a scratch on the door. So Avis charged me for the damage, some 300 Euros. So far so good, I submitted the damage report to my insurance, they asked me to request a "generic cost matrix" from Avis.

That's when it gets interesting. I sent a request to Avis, got an answer that they needed 30 days to process this! After about 20 days I followed up and asked the status - got a standard blah blah blah answer, basically giving me the first answer again in slightly different words. I followed up again, asking for more details. Surprisingly I did get more details, one of them being that their european partner needs 30 BUSINESS days to process this.

It has been a while since I heard about anything taking 30 days, not to speak of 30 business days. I am pretty sure what I will hear after the 30 business days are over. Are they walking this to Europe?

Any advise on how to cut through this thicket would be greatly appreciated.
The 30 days passed as expected without receiving anything. To my surprise on day 30 a refund for the damage charges showed up on my credit card, from AVIS corporate. The explanation was "insufficient documentation for the charges". I guess they charged their European partner for being lazy in the interest of customer service - Kudos.

The fly in the ointment of course is that it would have been nice to know that this was going to happen instead of endless e-mail exchanges with the insurance and customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.