Oldest Rental Car EVER!!!!!

Old May 26, 2011, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite

Work currently takes me to Wausau WI weekly, and my company requires we use Avis to rent our cars. My weekly compact car there has always been clean (no leftover GPS circles on the windshield goes a long way), and I've even gotten the occasional upgrade, not that I care, a compact is plenty big enough for my use.

But this week I had to take the lesser of two evils and choose between a Sentra (no thanks), and a Corolla (ugh). Took the keys to the Corolla and off I went. At least it looked in good shape and was clean inside. As usual I reset the fuel economy computer and the trip odometer. As I reset it, I cycled back to the mileage on the car.

46000+. I couldn't believe it. Key tag says its an '09.

But sure enough it proved true. As I got on the interstate, I could hear the wind noise coming through the top of the door frame, a windshield wiper that misses one inch of the windshield (in the middle of course), and a steady thrumming from the tires on the concrete highway. So much so that when I stopped for lunch, I looked at the tires to see if there was an exposed cord. What I found were cheap noname replacement tires, and evidence from where the car had been repaired in an accident (hence the wind noise).

But as I said, the car was clean, it drove straight, and did what I needed. The location is a licensee. Makes me wonder what Avis' standards are? Is a car with over 46000 miles and a October 2008 build date really what Avis deems acceptable? I know the rental car companies are keeping cars longer, but I can't remember ever having a rental with 30k+ miles, let alone 46k, even in Mexico!

Anyone else runnig into this with Avis, or is it a local issue? Thanks!
Old May 26, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA,HH Gold,SPG Plat,Natl Elite,Hertz Pres Cir
In 2008, I had 3 Ford Taurus cars in the mid 50K.

Then it got better and worse: A few cars the high 40K range in 2009 and the highest mileage car was a Ford Taurus closing in on 60K.

Then it got better for last year. Besides my first rental of the year which had 46K+ and my last one 48K+ all in all I averaged out with a 17K odometer.

This year, no 40K or higher, but a lot of 30K. As an average this year is gearing out to be the worst, but by far Avis has always had the lowest mileage cars.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Well then it sounds like they really are keeping the cars around longer. Had yours been in the fleet as long as this one was, or were they cars getting run hard over a shorter time period. Hard to believe the car had been in service for nearly 3 years. I rent a lot, a high 20k/low 30k hasn't been unheard of, but usually its in a Thrifty or Alamo fleet, not Avis.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We are talking about Wausau here. There is a high chance that the car was used mostly for local rentals from autobody shops and mechanics. The Enterprise dealer here rents 95% of its cars to local dealers. (So much so that the first three locations that they had were INSIDE the Chevy dealer)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Yikes. I must be lucky that I have never had a car with major issues of any kind. High mileage doesnt bother me if the car is working properly.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Avis Israel, picked up a focus with 80k km...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:30 pm

Avis mauritius, rent-a-wreck

The cars you talk about were basically brand new compared to the one AVIS
Mauritius gave me.
It was an 8 year old Toyota Corolla with over 130,000km (80 000 miles) on the clock!
The clutch was worn out and was slipping in top gear going uphill.

From what's been said here, that is obviously what you can expect http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...d-car-mru.html
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:53 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Avis Jacksonville Airport (JAX) had an at-newest 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring on their lot today. It definitely looked out of place with 2012's sitting around, but sure enough, it had the stickers on it so was not a personal vehicle.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
In Los Angeles I once rented an 1950 Studebaker Champion. Now that's old.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
In Los Angeles I once rented an 1950 Studebaker Champion. Now that's old.
Well, that depends on when you rented it!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
True. It was 2000 and I was 18. Charged me a $15 a day under 21 fee. I thought that was funny.

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Well, that depends on when you rented it!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I guess I'm lucky, most of my Avis cars have been under 10K. Hertz, on the other hand, I recently got a car with 50K on it which truly shocked me, and this was at a corporate location, not a franchisee. It had a neverlost gps in it it, but it thought I was about 600 miles west of where I actually was.

I primarily rent from National, have no status with Avis but have been upgraded every time I rented from Avis this year, and I seem to remember the cars have all been brand new and were equipped, not stripped with nice extras.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

Hertz Bangkok - Honda Jazz with 50K km and was told that's the newest they have, which I believe because most other times (primarily with Avis) I get a 70k+ km car with an unpleasant scent...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Avis TLV, the other day, Honda civic with 70k kilometers and boy did it show!

And in true Avis Israel style they said it's an upgrade because the original booking was for a 1.6 and this was a 1.8...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Avis TLV, the other day, Honda civic with 70k kilometers and boy did it show!

And in true Avis Israel style they said it's an upgrade because the original booking was for a 1.6 and this was a 1.8...
I did better a couple of weeks back. They gave me a Mazda with 94'000 Km on it. It was so banged up that I asked the check out agent what I would need to do to it to to be charged for damage. He thought about it a minute and just said "total it". The speedometer dial was so worn and scratched you could hardly read the dial. The car looked so bad that I couldn't bring myself to park in front of our office. On the bright side, nobody was going to think of pinching it....

I put a posting on the Avis Israel website with some photos and it got deleted immediately. Guess they only accept "likes"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.