Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:11 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by rth121
I'm looking at renting through USAA (as they waive young age drivers fee [I'm 24]) at Chicago O'hare Airport (ORD). Which class would be best to get a car with all-wheel-drive (AWD) besides SUV? I'm looking at Buick Verano size class and possibly a Subary Legacy in there; but not sure what are the chances of getting it. Also looking at Ford Fusion or similar class.
It's extremely unlikely that anything besides an SUV will have AWD, and in fact, you're not even guaranteed AWD with an SUV, although it's more likely with the higher classes (Standard, Standard Elite, and Fullsize, etc. SUV's).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tarpley82
Just curious why not rent a SUV? I confirmed today with Avis that booking with USAA you can rent an SUV under 25 also.
Cost a bit more; looking at prices of rental through USAA and AAA Travels, Intermediate SUV (Toyota RAV4 or similar) usually cost around ~$410+; at least during the dates I need it.

I'm looking at a week rental from 12/15 - 12/21 at Chicago O'hare (ORD)

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's extremely unlikely that anything besides an SUV will have AWD, and in fact, you're not even guaranteed AWD with an SUV, although it's more likely with the higher classes (Standard, Standard Elite, and Fullsize, etc. SUV's).
That's what I thought also. Was hoping to get a car with AWD for the possible winter condition in Chicago through Michigan. I originally planned on booking an Intermediate SUV (RAV4 or similar) and hope to get something with AWD as it has higher chances, but when I was checking the prices yesterday, Buick Verano or similar from AVIS showed up for ~$170 less than Intermediate SUV rental and from AVIS description, there's a possible chance of Subaru Legacy(?)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:58 am

I have rented around 11 times with Avis this year. I always book a full size car and a lot of times I either get upgraded to a SUV for free or pay like 10$ a day to upgrade. In my experience its always cheaper to upgrade to an SUV than reserving one. I imagine if ORD is anything like DEN they will have mostly SUV'S anyways. I have learned if your nice with the agent they can pretty much do anything they want to help you out.

Originally Posted by rth121
Cost a bit more; looking at prices of rental through USAA and AAA Travels, Intermediate SUV (Toyota RAV4 or similar) usually cost around ~$410+; at least during the dates I need it.

I'm looking at a week rental from 12/15 - 12/21 at Chicago O'hare (ORD)

That's what I thought also. Was hoping to get a car with AWD for the possible winter condition in Chicago through Michigan. I originally planned on booking an Intermediate SUV (RAV4 or similar) and hope to get something with AWD as it has higher chances, but when I was checking the prices yesterday, Buick Verano or similar from AVIS showed up for ~$170 less than Intermediate SUV rental and from AVIS description, there's a possible chance of Subaru Legacy(?)
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tarpley82
I have rented around 11 times with Avis this year. I always book a full size car and a lot of times I either get upgraded to a SUV for free or pay like 10$ a day to upgrade. In my experience its always cheaper to upgrade to an SUV than reserving one. I imagine if ORD is anything like DEN they will have mostly SUV'S anyways. I have learned if your nice with the agent they can pretty much do anything they want to help you out.
DEN has the large SUVs because people pay for them in the winter to go skiing. ORD has a significantly lower % off SUVs than DEN.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Chrysler 200 - now a full size

Last week on a full size rental was given a Chrysler 200. I asked for clarification if that was a standard or full size and was told it is now a full size. Receipt shows Vehicle Group Rented: Full-Size Vehicle Group Charged: Full-Size. Anyone else with a similar experience? If someone can confirm this further we can update the wiki to move the 200 from Std to Full.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ito717
Last week on a full size rental was given a Chrysler 200. I asked for clarification if that was a standard or full size and was told it is now a full size. Receipt shows Vehicle Group Rented: Full-Size Vehicle Group Charged: Full-Size. Anyone else with a similar experience? If someone can confirm this further we can update the wiki to move the 200 from Std to Full.
Wow, that's absurd! The 200 is far from full size! A few questions:
1. Was this a large/airport/corporate station or an outstation? Locations can classify as they wish, unfortunately. If an outstation/franchise, I'd complain to Avis as that's crap.
2. What is/was listed on Avis.com as the intermediate/standard/full for that location? Then compare the specs of those cars to the 200. If the 200 fits more in-line with smaller cars, ask for a partial refund from Avis or your credit card.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Wow, that's absurd! The 200 is far from full size! A few questions:
1. Was this a large/airport/corporate station or an outstation? Locations can classify as they wish, unfortunately. If an outstation/franchise, I'd complain to Avis as that's crap.
2. What is/was listed on Avis.com as the intermediate/standard/full for that location? Then compare the specs of those cars to the 200. If the 200 fits more in-line with smaller cars, ask for a partial refund from Avis or your credit card.
1: RNO Airport
2: Looking at the AVIS site, full size (Ford Fusion or similar) now does list Chrysler 200 as similar! https://www.avis.com/car-rental/reservation/carguide/E A dummy booking for RNO shows intermediate/standard/full as what i'm used to: cruze/verano/fusion.

I agree this is nuts. Our 2 checked baggage suitcases and 2 standard rollaboards wouldn't fit in the trunk of the Chrysler 200, not even close.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
An analyst recently noted GM dumped 2x the number of cars to rental agencies in December, but it appears Chrysler and Avis did a lot deals recently.

I just saw a bunch of new 2017 Dodge Charger 2WDs rolled out (12 miles on the odometer according to the app) at a recent location. I think they are still Full Size categorized.

Rasheed
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Are the fullsize vans all 15 pass? I've got 12 in the group but might be tight with luggage in a 12 pass version. Not driving far so it would be possible, but if Avis has all/mostly 12s then I'll pay more and get one from Alamo. If it's "probably" a 15 then I'm willing to take that risk.

I don't think I've ever seen a 12 pass van in a rental fleet but I've only rented a van once. On the res sheet it does say 12, but I think they might just be playing it safe in case 1 in 10 vans they have is 12. The Alamo description says 15.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by ride red
Are the fullsize vans all 15 pass? I've got 12 in the group but might be tight with luggage in a 12 pass version. Not driving far so it would be possible, but if Avis has all/mostly 12s then I'll pay more and get one from Alamo. If it's "probably" a 15 then I'm willing to take that risk.

I don't think I've ever seen a 12 pass van in a rental fleet but I've only rented a van once. On the res sheet it does say 12, but I think they might just be playing it safe in case 1 in 10 vans they have is 12. The Alamo description says 15.
There are 12 and 15 passenger vans in the rental fleets of most companies. I would go by what it says on the rental company website. If you reserve a 12-passenger van you could get a 15-passenger van, but it's certainly not guaranteed. When in doubt, call the local office to be certain.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jan 12, 2017 at 8:29 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

​​​
Originally Posted by ride red

The ones I've paid attention to (and the 2 I drove) from Avis were all 12 pax. Haven't noticed a 15 pax on the Avis lots but I haven't counted rows/examined length on all of them I've seen.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:09 am

Hi Guys,

Booked from MIA Class L car (Suburban or similar). Any idea, what are "similar" at the moment? How likely is it to get a Suburban?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kaanne
Hi Guys,

Booked from MIA Class L car (Suburban or similar). Any idea, what are "similar" at the moment? How likely is it to get a Suburban?
From my sightings at many locations, I'd say 80% chance at the suburban. 15% for an Expedition El and 5% Yukon XL. Slight chance for an upgrade to a Navi or even Escalade, if you get lucky.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:05 pm

Long time Lurker, first time Poster

I have a booking for SFO for a Convertible and today I got an Upgrade Voucher(by one class) from Avis Preferred today.

I can figure out what come after Intermediate, Full Size etc but there's only one class of Convertible so, if I use the voucher, what would I be upgraded to?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBaron
Long time Lurker, first time Poster

I have a booking for SFO for a Convertible and today I got an Upgrade Voucher(by one class) from Avis Preferred today.

I can figure out what come after Intermediate, Full Size etc but there's only one class of Convertible so, if I use the voucher, what would I be upgraded to?
There is no upgrade from Convertible (nor are there any upgrades for SUV, Minivans, etc). The upgrade coupon only applies to Economy through Fullsize cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.