FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Avis Chairman's Club: Managers Dont Know?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/829152-avis-chairmans-club-managers-dont-know.html)

lardiop May 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Avis Chairman's Club: Managers Dont Know?!

I've made 3 reservations around town over the last 2 weeks or so.

One place understood the CHM routine and gave me the choice of whatever I wanted. Outstanding service and support.

I just called one place to make sure everything was set for tomorrow and that they had received the notes section of my reservation. I got called 'bro' a lot and was informed that I would be receiving either a Pontiac G6 or Sebring. I asked if the manager was around, and the person informed me that he was the manager of the location.

I asked if my Chairman's Status was confirmed for the reservation, to which I was seriously asked 'What's a Chairman?'... *slaps forehead*

Anyone have similar experience with off-airport locations not knowing what the CHM program is? All my airport reservations have been stellar, but off-airport is definitely hit and miss.

IAHtraveler May 30, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm President's Club and have rented off-airport a few times. They always give me whatever I want. The once, the employee seemed surprised that a PC member rented from there. When I gave her my name, she said, "OH, Mr. IAHTraveler, you're the PC member. That's awesome, how long have you had that status? ... How do you like the service it gives you? ... We have the following cars, which do you want? ..." She was wonderful,.

I've never had a bad experience as PC, anywhere, except in CLE. No matter what I reserve or am given, if I ask for something different from their full lot of cars (too huge, cigarette smoke, dirty car, etc), I'm told "Sorry, that's the only vehicle that we have available."

ECKOA6 May 30, 2008 9:49 pm

I would have been on the phone with the CHM desk right away if that happened to me. Remember the CHM desk can get ahold of managers, regional managers, etc to resolve issues right away.

heffa May 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lardiop (Post 9801336)
... and that they had received the notes section of my reservation.

Notes section? How do you get notes into your reservation, or did the CHM desk do that for you over phone?

GoodKarmaGuy May 30, 2008 11:43 pm

I've always had GREAT service as a Chairman. Really the best consistent status of any top tier program.

I would suggest calling the desk and letting them know what happened. I would be very polite and just frame it as a "FYI" so they would have a heads up. Managers that are not informed reflect on THEIR higher ups. Somebody missed something somewhere! (I would also ask them to check my "notes" by which I figure you mean special preferences and requests.)

BTW, I was in ...hmmm... I can't remember now where it was... maybe FLL or LAS?.. and I was looking for the booth so I could bypass the desk and I asked a suit whom had just walked out from the desk, where I could find the car pickup. Just then I noticed my name on the welcome sign, did a double take and laughed. He realized I was a CHM and walked me all the way to my car himself. Turns out he was a visiting Avis VP. It was sorta fun, I have to admit! :D

lardiop May 31, 2008 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 9803199)
Notes section? How do you get notes into your reservation, or did the CHM desk do that for you over phone?

afaik, there is a notes or special instruction section attached to each reservation. I always ask the CHM desk to put little requests in there or if I'd like them try and get me a specific car.

Just as the phone reservation is coming to a close with the CHM desk, I say something like 'could you just put something for me in the notes section' and they always seem to do it. Last week I really wanted to try out a new Cadillac CTS (specialty class) so I made a reservation with the CHM desk, and asked the agent to reflect my preference in the notes section.

I showed up to the location to find a brand new CTS. Manager told me she had it brought over from the other side of town. ^

As for the rental today here's what went down. I don't know who I got the other day when I called, because this guy sounded very different and had the Avis manager name tag.

Showed up around 10 minutes early to the location only to find the small Avis office empty. I waited outside for around 10 minutes until the manager of the location asked if he could help me. I said I had a reservation for Mr. lardiop at 9:00.

The manager pulls the rental info up on the computer, and asks: "Would you like a PT Cruiser or a Sebring?" Confused, I politely asked if there was any reason why I was being offered an intermediate car. (I noticed a bunch of Impalas and Magnums parked right by the door)

Manager looks at me and says, "that's what you have booked right"? I inquire whether my Chairman status was confirmed for this rental? He looks right at me and says "What's that?"

I dig into my wallet and pull out my CHM card and hand it to him. He remarks "Hmm, first time I've ever heard of that, is it kind of like the President's Club? How does it work?"

I explain the details of the program and what my typical rental experience is like. The manager looks at me and says 'Well, I guess I could give you an Impala or Magnum as an upgrade...'

I look at my watch and realize I have to leave asap to get to my meeting on time. I ask if he has anything better, small SUV, van, anything. Manager says a full size is the best he can do and hands me the keys to a dirty red Magnum wagon with a lackluster interior and an underpowered 3.5 V6 under the hood.

Drove it around for the day and returned it about 10 hours before it was due back. Left the keys in the drop box knowing I'd never rent from here again.

Will calling the CHM desk do anything? I don't want to be 'that guy' who always calls and complains, but it was definitely my worst Avis experience to date.

GoodKarmaGuy Jun 1, 2008 12:09 am

Originally Posted by lardiop (Post 9806843)
Will calling the CHM desk do anything? I don't want to be 'that guy' who always calls and complains, but it was definitely my worst Avis experience to date.

Don't worry, you're NOT that guy. If you were you wouldn't be asking. ;)

Please call and let us know here what happened. CHM are invitation only and we are supposed to be really, truly white glove service. I don't mean that to sound snobby, but Avis goes out of their way for us and this station's service undoes all that good work.

I wish you had time to call the CHM desk while you were standing at the desk! that would have been grrrreat! :D

lardiop Jun 1, 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy (Post 9807157)
Don't worry, you're NOT that guy. If you were you wouldn't be asking. ;)

Please call and let us know here what happened. CHM are invitation only and we are supposed to be really, truly white glove service. I don't mean that to sound snobby, but Avis goes out of their way for us and this station's service undoes all that good work.

I wish you had time to call the CHM desk while you were standing at the desk! that would have been grrrreat! :D

I'm traveling all weekend... I'll give them a ring Monday morning.

gleff Jun 1, 2008 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy (Post 9807157)

IIndeed, I'd have dialed the CHM desk and said, I'm here picking up my car and the manager asked me what the Chairmans program was, I was hoping you might be able to explain it to them?

Like the OP, I once turned up at an in-town location to rent a car and no one was there. A quick call to the CHM desk had it open in 10 minutes and believe me the regional manager who showed up with the keys knew about the program. :o

lardiop Jun 1, 2008 6:10 pm

Just got off the phone with the CHM desk.

The agent apologized for the poor service and was shocked that a manager had no idea about the Chairman's Club program. I made 2 additional reservations before mentioning the experience and I made it sound like more of an FYI than trying to 'pull rank' on the location for lack of a better term.

Very frusterating experience if you ask me, and I'm really not that picky about service. In hindsight I should have mentioned the non-manager from the same locaton that repeatedly called me his 'Bro' when inquiring about the reservation a few days in advance.

Oh well, its back to my regular spot for the next few rentals.

Off hand does anyone know why the CHM 1-800 number doesnt work in Canada? I always get bumped to the regular reservation desk and have to ask for a transfer.

Insiderdude Jun 2, 2008 8:08 pm

I've consistently received great service as a CHM. At all of the US airport locations (and even most off-airport locations, although their cars are hit and miss, mainly due just to a lack of choice/inventory) - almost always I'm offered at least a Premium, if not a luxury and sometimes a specialty upon request. Just being CHM alone will make me a lifelong Avis renter!

Lardio, let me know how your experience in Canada works out. In general, my rentals as a CHM in Canada is definitely a grade below US rentals, unless it's booked thru the CHM desk.

lardiop Jun 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Insiderdude (Post 9816416)
I've consistently received great service as a CHM. At all of the US airport locations (and even most off-airport locations, although their cars are hit and miss, mainly due just to a lack of choice/inventory) - almost always I'm offered at least a Premium, if not a luxury and sometimes a specialty upon request. Just being CHM alone will make me a lifelong Avis renter!

Lardio, let me know how your experience in Canada works out. In general, my rentals as a CHM in Canada is definitely a grade below US rentals, unless it's booked thru the CHM desk.

Just that one location I've had problems with.

Rented a few additional times from other locations around Toronto, no issues at all. I found one location where the manager will literally get me any car I want out of the fleet for the intermediate rate. I send him the confirmation number along with my car choice. When I arrive its waiting for me all detailed and ready to go. Can't ask for anything more than that.

Anyone else have some CHM experiences they'd like to share?

AvisChairmansClub Jul 6, 2008 3:59 pm

if you find an avis location that for some reason does not understand or know the benefits of the Avis Chairmans Club Program, call the avis chairmans desk & advise an agent so they can resolve the situation immediately !!!!!!

anytime your not getting your chairman's club benefits call the chairmans desk & advise them of the situation at any avis location

The Avis Chairmans Club & Presidents Club are US & Canada Programs Only
but all reservations made by Chairmans Club Members no matter if they are booked on avis.com, or by a Travel agent, or any other way always come to the avis chairmans desk & are handled on your behalf & if you are traveling to europe they will do everything possible to have all the benefits extended to you at any international location!!!!

l etoile Jul 6, 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by AvisChairmansClub (Post 9990220)
if you are traveling to europe they will do everything possible to have all the benefits extended to you at any international location!!!!

I have been very surprised by this. I've found my Chairman's Club benefits have been recognized in several places in Europe. Actually, I can't think of any place where they have not been.

AvisChairmansClub Jul 6, 2008 4:17 pm

Thats very good to hear!!!!!!

locations that have chairmans frequent their facility are very familiar with the program but not all locations will be