Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice please - slight fender bender

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Advice please - slight fender bender

We are currently driving a new Mustang convertible with Avis and drove to a beach/park area a few days ago. We parked in a designated parking lot that had those parking blocks at the head of each parking space like you see in large public parking areas everywhere. Only these were "home made" parking blocks, made of pieces of wood bolted together instead of concrete.

When we started to back out of the parking space to leave, we heard a noise, and assumed the bottom of the bumper was scraping the block. It was worse than that, however, and the plastic underneath portion that is attached to the bumper (that sort of lips under) was caught on the block and was being torn off the car! After much maneuvering, we managed to get the car free, but now there is a bit of rubber and plastic hanging off the bumper. It isn't noticeable at a glance, but can be seen on closer inspection.
Questions:

We have full insurance (LDW and ALI). Is it correct that we are fully covered for this minor damange and will have no problems or issues upon turning in the vehicled?

We have never so much as put a scratch on a rental in the past, are President's Club members, and rent 3-4 times a year for 2-3 weeks per rental. Will this damage be noted on our record and will it affect our future rentals in any way? For example, will they be less likely to give us our PC upgrades in future?

When we drop off the car, should we just come clean and explain exactly what happened, or should we stay silent unless we're asked? It is possible that the agent receiving the car back won't notice the slight damage, but presumably it will be seen on closer inspection. I'm not asking if we should stay quiet to get away with anything, but since we have full insurance, do we need to take the time to explain the situation at drop-off or is it enough that they'll see it when they're cleaning the car and then will check our records and see that there was full insurance for the minor damage.

We're sick about this happening as we always take car of rental cars as if they were our own, but I guess sometimes s*it happens and once that fender was stuck, there wasn't a lot we could do.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Susan

Last edited by SusanDK; Dec 30, 2006 at 7:55 am
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:47 pm

If you have full ldw, there is absolutely no reason to lie. Thats why you pay for it.

Just come clean. All they will ask from you is for an accident report, available online at avis.com, or on the inside of your rental agreement (perferred contracts, the report is inside the cardboard window hang tag.)

There is no reason to fear any negative information. I know guys out there with 10 accidents and they still rent. They pay the LDW insurance no issues.

As a manager, all I would want is a copy of the accident report and once thats completed, make a copy of it for yourself, if you have a digital camera available, take a pic of it and keep it for future reference to be safe, along with a copy of the accident report (make sure an employee signs your copy, and keep the pic and the report together in a safe place)

Originally Posted by SusanDK
We are currently driving a new Mustang convertible with Avis and drove to a beach/park area a few days ago. We parked in a designated parking lot that had those parking blocks at the head of each parking space like you see in large public parking areas everywhere. Only these were "home made" parking blocks, made of pieces of wood bolted together instead of concrete.

When we started to back out of the parking space to leave, we heard a noise, and assumed the bottom of the bumper was scraping the block. It was worse than that, however, and the plastic underneath portion that is attached to the bumper (that sort of lips under) was caught on the block and was being torn off the car! After much maneuvering, we managed to get the car free, but now there is a bit of rubber and plastic hanging off the bumper. It isn't noticeable at a glance, but can be seen on closer inspection.
Questions:

We have full insurance (LDW and ALI). Is it correct that we are fully covered for this minor damange and will have no problems or issues upon turning in the vehicled?

We have never so much as put a scratch on a rental in the past, are President's Club members, and rent 3-4 times a year for 2-3 weeks per rental. Will this damage be noted on our record and will it affect our future rentals in any way? For example, will they be less likely to give us our PC upgrades in future?

When we drop off the car, should we just come clean and explain exactly what happened, or should we stay silent unless we're asked? It is possible that the agent receiving the car back won't notice the slight damage, but presumably it will be seen on closer inspection. I'm not asking if we should stay quiet to get away with anything, but since we have full insurance, do we need to take the time to explain the situation at drop-off or is it enough that they'll see it when they're cleaning the car and then will check our records and see that there was full insurance for the minor damage.

We're sick about this happening as we always take car of rental cars as if they were our own, but I guess sometimes s*it happens and once that fender was stuck, there wasn't a lot we could do.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Susan
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks ezmonee. It was never the intention to lie or hide anything, since we have full LDW and knew the slight damage would be covered. I just wondered whether it was better to say something upon turning in the car or let them find it on closer inspection, and then see that our LDW covers it.

I've just found the accident report on the avis.com website and don't really feel it should be necessary, since we did not have an 'accident' per se and there is no dent anywhere on the car. Only a rubber bit from the fender is hanging down as a result of it getting caught on the parking block. No other vehicle was involved.

We don't have a printer or fax available (it says to print and fill out the form, and fax it in) since we're on vacation. I barely have an internet connection on limited access. There was no window hang tag on the car.

Wouldn't it be enough to just mention it when turning in the car? We pay for the full insurance to avoid hassles. Unfortunately, we didn't bring a camera on this trip, so can't take pictures.

Thanks,
Susan
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:50 am

The rubber skirt, and I know exactly what your talking about, is often missed in inspection. So you could, in theory, play dumb and get away with it.

But if it is caught, which is possible, you will be asked to fill out the "accident/incident" report which will take 5 min, which you may not have. If you refuse, your LDW will not cover. If you pre-fill the form out and play dumb, they catch it, you whip out a filled report, then one could argue that you had intended to not fill out a report, and possibly jeprodizing your insurance coverage.

If you play dumb, and it sneaks by, and then BAMAVOL or GLEFF or ICE TROJAN, or ME..... get the car next, they dont see it, but then on return they get caught with it, you just contributed to the single most irritating part of car rentals...."I didnt do it and your telling the truth but no one believes you" syndrome.

Since you do have the insurance coverage, and I know for a fact there is no issue with individuals (not companies) renting and getting into accidents, and the insurance coverage is paid for and will not effect your personal driving record or insurance, there is no real good reason for you to play dumb and try to squeak by.

Bottom line, its covered, it will be repaired. It will not cost you one cent now or in the future. Once the report is turned in, its forgotten forever.

Why even mess with it? the accident report is also available inside your preferred jacket or any rental jacket. You can call the 800 number, tell them what happened, they can tell you the nearest avis location to you where you can fill it out. You can turn it in there (get a copy) and exchange the car, or just pick up the form and turn it in later. up to you.

Thanks ezmonee. It was never the intention to lie or hide anything, since we have full LDW and knew the slight damage would be covered. I just wondered whether it was better to say something upon turning in the car or let them find it on closer inspection, and then see that our LDW covers it.

I've just found the accident report on the avis.com website and don't really feel it should be necessary, since we did not have an 'accident' per se and there is no dent anywhere on the car. Only a rubber bit from the fender is hanging down as a result of it getting caught on the parking block. No other vehicle was involved.

We don't have a printer or fax available (it says to print and fill out the form, and fax it in) since we're on vacation. I barely have an internet connection on limited access. There was no window hang tag on the car.

Wouldn't it be enough to just mention it when turning in the car? We pay for the full insurance to avoid hassles. Unfortunately, we didn't bring a camera on this trip, so can't take pictures.

Thanks,
Susan

Last edited by ezmonee; Jan 3, 2007 at 2:56 am
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Update and question

Dear ezmonee,

I did exactly as you suggested. I filled out the form that was in the preferred jacket and when we pulled up to deliver the car back, we explained exactly what had happened to the attendant. I had taken a photocopy of the report and asked him to sign both copies, which he did. He didn't even read the report and barely looked at the car (he was very young and seemed inexperienced).

It's now been over 3 weeks and I'm wondering if we should expect to hear anything back from Avis? Will they send us a final report or confirmation that everything is in order?

I have one other question about our LDW coverage that I'm concerned about.

We make our reservations through Avis in Denmark where we always get an all-inclusive rate, including LDW and ALI. I always have a print-out of the reservation with me which states this (in Danish).

However, I have just noticed on the Avis rental record that is handed to us when we pick up the car (the single index card that is inserted in the rental jacket with the Car #, dates, rate, etc.), that at the bottom, it has the following information:

LDW: .00/DY UNAVAIL
ALI: .00/DY ACCEPT
PAI: 3.00/DY DECLINE
PEP: 1.95/DY DECLINE

Why does it say that LDW is "Unavail"? My reservation clearly shows that LDW is included. Shouldn't it be annotated similarly to ALI (at no additional daily charge, but accepted)?

I looked back at our last rental record as well, and it is annotated the same way.

I want to be absolutely sure that when we reserve using these all-inclusive rates, that we really are getting the full LDW/ALI as specified on our reservation.

Thanks for your help.

Susan
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:00 pm

The LDW is included in your rate, ergo unavailable. The ALI is an insurance from a private third party company that administers it, so thats why one says unavailable, the other one says included because avis fronts the charges (even though the company is part of avis). The distinction is due to different state laws on who and how insurance is sold. Since LDW never leaves avis under any circumstances, its unenecessary when inculded as part of the price.

and the usual turnaround is about a month. But for you I would seriously not worry about it. If the reservation was made via American Express and you do have the american express insurance included as part of your Amex membership, I would notify them just in case, as they have a limit on claims of something like 45 days.

As far as avis, I personally am pretty sure you will never hear from it again.

Dear ezmonee,

I did exactly as you suggested. I filled out the form that was in the preferred jacket and when we pulled up to deliver the car back, we explained exactly what had happened to the attendant. I had taken a photocopy of the report and asked him to sign both copies, which he did. He didn't even read the report and barely looked at the car (he was very young and seemed inexperienced).

It's now been over 3 weeks and I'm wondering if we should expect to hear anything back from Avis? Will they send us a final report or confirmation that everything is in order?

I have one other question about our LDW coverage that I'm concerned about.

We make our reservations through Avis in Denmark where we always get an all-inclusive rate, including LDW and ALI. I always have a print-out of the reservation with me which states this (in Danish).

However, I have just noticed on the Avis rental record that is handed to us when we pick up the car (the single index card that is inserted in the rental jacket with the Car #, dates, rate, etc.), that at the bottom, it has the following information:

LDW: .00/DY UNAVAIL
ALI: .00/DY ACCEPT
PAI: 3.00/DY DECLINE
PEP: 1.95/DY DECLINE

Why does it say that LDW is "Unavail"? My reservation clearly shows that LDW is included. Shouldn't it be annotated similarly to ALI (at no additional daily charge, but accepted)?

I looked back at our last rental record as well, and it is annotated the same way.

I want to be absolutely sure that when we reserve using these all-inclusive rates, that we really are getting the full LDW/ALI as specified on our reservation.

Thanks for your help.

Susan
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks ezmonee. I made the reservation directly with Avis, not via AmEx, although I paid with AmEx. Since I didn't decline the LDW, I don't think my AmEx would cover anything. I feel better about the "unavail" note on the record with your explanation, and I do have a print-out of the reservation that says LDW is included, so I'm sure everything is fine.

Of course, I got a little nervous when I read the other thread stating that a spouse driver now requires a fee and an additional driver form. We've always been told my spouse can drive without these, and he was actually driving when the mishap occurred, which was noted on the accident report.

Hopefully, the previous information I'd been given that my spouse can drive without the additional driver form and fee is still accurate.

Your help was most appreciated throughout this thread!

Susan
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:25 pm

Thanks ezmonee. I made the reservation directly with Avis, not via AmEx, although I paid with AmEx. Since I didn't decline the LDW, I don't think my AmEx would cover anything. I feel better about the "unavail" note on the record with your explanation, and I do have a print-out of the reservation that says LDW is included, so I'm sure everything is fine.

Of course, I got a little nervous when I read the other thread stating that a spouse driver now requires a fee and an additional driver form. We've always been told my spouse can drive without these, and he was actually driving when the mishap occurred, which was noted on the accident report.

Hopefully, the previous information I'd been given that my spouse can drive without the additional driver form and fee is still accurate.

Your help was most appreciated throughout this thread!

Susan
from the website...

Additional Drivers

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver’s license, may drive the car with the renter’s prior permission:

Renter’s employer (while on company business);
Renter’s fellow employee (while on company business);
Renter’s spouse or life partner.
The above additional drivers are considered “authorized drivers” and need not be present at the time of rental nor do they need to sign an additional driver form.

Other individuals may be listed as additional drivers, provided they are at least 25 years of age; present a valid driver’s license; present an Avis-honored charge card; and complete an additional driver form. An additional driver fee may apply for each additional driver (see Additional Driver Fees for details and exceptions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.