Assigned: Toyota Camry
Received: Ford Mustang
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Got into the biggest fight yesterday at BOS. Booked Intermediate (as Presidents Club) and got assigned an Impala. Asked for an SUV (was picking up 2 guys and driving out to Dedham), and was told they were sold out. Pulled out AVIS App and told them I could book an SUV just fine, so how are they sold out. Was offered Fusion, and a bunch of Compact options. I refused. Agent called a manager.

Manager came, cited the same exact lines. Sold out. I showed them the app, and he said, "oh well we're fixing that as we speak; in 20 minutes it'll show sold-out". I asked him if in 30 minutes if I checked the app again would it show sold-out? He said yes. I said, what are you willing to bet on this? If I check back in 30 mins, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc. and it doesnt say sold out, will you give me a free rental day? He said no.

This was for a 7-hour rental (10am-5pm). He offered me a transit van, which I refused (how do you even navigate one of those in downtown boston). I asked for a minivan, or any SUV. He finally relented, and gave me a Santa Fe.

I know I'm not entitled to it, but I swear BOS is the stingiest with upgrades for me @ Presidents Club. I'm always fighting them for something.
You're PC, you booked an Intermediate, and they gave you a 2-class upgrade. You claim you know that you aren't entitled to an SUV, yet you acted otherwise. You were utterly in the wrong on this.

As to your point about SUVs not being sold out... Maybe an employee or someone who knows for sure will correct me, but I believe Avis overbooks their vehicles since they're counting on a certain percentage of people to not show up (like airlines and their seats), with the added loss due to pre-payment not being required for a reservation.

So I can imagine a scenario where they are in fact sold out of SUVs, yet one can still reserve one on the website (again, like how a particular flight can be booked full, yet you can still buy a seat on that flight).

Given all those presumptions (and again, I could be mistaken), I would say that they may have been correct that all the SUVs were assigned to renters, and just to remind you, upgrades are on a "as available" basis, even for CHM.

I'd hope you call up the BOS station and issue an apology for your behavior. I have serious doubts that will happen, though. I challenge you to prove me wrong.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PPlus, Hertz PC, Hilton & BW Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott & IHG Gold
Originally Posted by QSilver
I think it's interesting, too...I'm in & out of BOS quite often and this is the first Honda product I've seen there.
Honda's pretty well known for keeping its rental fleet counts low. In the end, they see it as helping the resale value of their customers' vehicles since there isn't a glut of relatively new, high-mileage former rentals on used car lots and at auctions.

In my mind, that would make me want to buy a Honda. I did the same logic with my Subaru purchase, though I think they have made a corporate decision to change process. I've seen a large influx over the last year of CrossoverEX thing and some Legacy wagons, Foresters and Impreza cars.

As for Honda, I was only once assigned a Honda in all my (albeit short) years of renting. It was a Civic at the Hertz Fort Myers airport station. Rarely seen since and haven't been assigned one at Avis or anywhere else.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PPlus, Hertz PC, Hilton & BW Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott & IHG Gold
Booked: Standard
Assigned: Buick Verano
Received: Ford Fusion

I don't understand two things here:

One - How is a Chevy Cruze considered an Intermediate, yet the same platformed Buick Verano a standard??? I don't care if it has "more features and 'better' sound-proofing." It's an intermediate sized car.

Two - I'm continuing the streak of never getting upgraded, despite being Preferred Plus, which seems to not get one-car class upgrades, even when there is higher class availability. If I wasn't required to rent with Avis by work, I would highly consider switching over and testing Hertz (where I have PC status).

After bringing the upgrade status to the station employee's notice, I was given the option of a Fusion or small SUV. Because I was driving late, needed food, and didn't want to leave luggage visible, I took the Fusion. Loved the car! Had under 2000 miles. Well over that after going to and from College Station.

Funny, the manager arrived early into my discussion and was just as puzzled, as he mentioned that due to the slow week, they had plenty of full-sizes. Is this a reservation system issue? Should I be calling Avis corporate and complain?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Booked: PREMIUM (was same price as full size)
Assigned: Ford Taurus
Received: BMW 528i,

this was thanksgiving week and weekend, couldn't' believe the upgrade.. 150$ all in with taxes for six days.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:38 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Booked: Compact
Received: Hyundai Elantra
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive, Avis PC
Car Reserved: Standard
Assigned: Dodge Journey
Requested: BMW X5
Offered: Volvo X60

Car Reserved: Full Size
Assigned: Buick Enclave
Requested: BMW X5
Offered: Buick Enclave

Seems upto six months ago I could haggle up to a luxury now it seems impossible. Also they really keep trying to throw me in a Dodge Journey lately on every rental.

Last edited by pj23yanks; Nov 30, 2015 at 3:42 am Reason: Add more info
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I know I'm not entitled to it, but I swear BOS is the stingiest with upgrades for me @ Presidents Club. I'm always fighting them for something.
Sometimes Avis-BOS does pretty well and sometimes it's just 'meh'.

For example, today: I was pre-assigned a Volvo XC60 that was parked right outside the Preferred booth. Sounded great, until I found that it had a funky smell and the driver's seat wouldn't move forward (up/down and seat back worked fine). This on a car with about 7k miles on it.

At the Preferred booth, they checked/confirmed the power seat and then assigned me an Impala with about 10k on it.

So, I paid for a C, was assigned & rejected an H, and got an E...or is the new Impala considered a G?

Last edited by QSilver; Dec 1, 2015 at 3:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Reserved : VW Polo (B)
Assigned : Skoda Fabia (C) with 143k miles, 43k shown on the contract

Took the Fabia, to be honest it was in a good condition despite the huge number of kms on it.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: BMW 528i (turned down - back seat too narrow)
Offered: MB 350 (same issue); Lexus GX (no cargo cover, needed to hide luggage).
Requested/Accepted: Cadillac XTS

I must have been an old fart in a previous life, but the XTS is my preferred rental whip. Time it was due to the width of the back seat... couldn't believe how tight it was for 2 average sized adults + 1 child to sit in the back of the BMW or the MB.

Plus, I quite enjoy my cooling seats and large cup holders... both road trip necessities.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: BMW 528i (turned down - back seat too narrow)
Offered: MB 350 (same issue); Lexus GX (no cargo cover, needed to hide luggage).
Requested/Accepted: Cadillac XTS

I must have been an old fart in a previous life, but the XTS is my preferred rental whip. Time it was due to the width of the back seat... couldn't believe how tight it was for 2 average sized adults + 1 child to sit in the back of the BMW or the MB.

Plus, I quite enjoy my cooling seats and large cup holders... both road trip necessities.
Ditto. I wouldn't dream of buying an XTS, but it works very well as a rental car for me.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis CC
Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Volkswagen Jetta
Received: Volkswagen Jetta
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Booked: VW Polo or similar (economy, group B)
Assigned: Skoda Fabia Group C
Received: Suzuki SX4 (group D)

Double-car class upgrade, and 120000km less than the previous one
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
You're PC, you booked an Intermediate, and they gave you a 2-class upgrade. You claim you know that you aren't entitled to an SUV, yet you acted otherwise. You were utterly in the wrong on this.
You missed the point. Everyone said they were sold out of SUVs but they clearly were available for booking. Hence, they are not sold out. That was my gripe. Had they said, "no, you're not eligible for an SUV" that is a different story. I just dont like being lied to.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Dec 11, 2015 at 6:24 am Reason: keeping thread on-topic
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wrightflyerB
Funny, the manager arrived early into my discussion and was just as puzzled, as he mentioned that due to the slow week, they had plenty of full-sizes. Is this a reservation system issue? Should I be calling Avis corporate and complain?
The reservation system doesnt process your upgrades, an employee manually does that when they assign your car. Lazy employee? Maybe. Not paying attention? Maybe. I'm not sure there's someone to complain to except the folks at the desk. I gentle reminder or request for an upgrade typically works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.