List your upgrades!

Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:15 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by IADDCA
In this thread, I see that many people include a line that says "Requested". What does that mean in this context? Is there a way to make a request while making a reservation on the website. Or do you have to go up to the counter to make this request?
Usually, when I want something in particular I go to the counter at pickup and request it there. In a couple of cases, when I knew I wanted something (e.g. an SUV) for specific reasons, I've called the President's Club number and asked them to add a request to my reservation. It usually works, except when I ask for the moon (e.g., BMW or QX56).

Originally Posted by IADDCA
Below, I'm not surprised that they'd ask for more $ per day for a BMW. Do they sometimes give you a free upgrade just because your courageous enough to walk up and ask? It almost seems like (for example if you're going to DEN for a ski trip) to reserve a full-size and then ask for an SUV instead of reserving one.
The short answer is "Yes, if you have the status". Avis First gets you a guaranteed space-available 1-class upgrade, PC gets guaranteed space-available 2-class upgrade, and Chairman's gets "best non-specialty car on the lot". By "guaranteed" I mean that if it's available, you're supposed to get it -- it's not "if we feel like it". Like CPUs on United.

If I want an SUV, I do indeed book a full-size and expect an SUV for the asking. It's only space-available, so if I was going to DEN for skiing over New Year's, I might reserve the SUV to guarantee it -- but in general, I book 2 classes lower than I want/need.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Where: BNA
Booked: intermediate (highest class I can book thru dysfunctional work travel gatekeeper).
Assigned: 2013 Fusion (Mondeo) SE 2.5, 25,000+ hard miles, scratched, smelly.
Traded for: 2013 C-Max SEL, 16K miles, xlnt condition.

Not really an upgrade but I like the goofy C-Max jellybeans for some reason.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
Where: DAL
Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Kia (lower end)
Requested: A 2014 Camaro SS white with 140 miles I saw next to my assigned place.
Received: 2013 Camaro SS...it's nice but has 38k miles and kinda shows.

Although older I still liked the Camaro. The white was super nice and said he just couldn't do the no fee upgrade for that nice of a car. When I come to Dallas I either get a Camaro, Tahoe or Challenger.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Traded for: 2013 C-Max SEL, 16K miles, xlnt condition.

Not really an upgrade but I like the goofy C-Max jellybeans for some reason.
I've had 2 C-Maxes & really like them. Sure, it doesn't handle like the Z4 I've got right now or the 5 Series I had last week, but it's a good overall car IMO. My wife begs to differ with me on this one: She hates small cars, and there's not many compartments for stuff for the driver (phone, little wallet, change, lip stick, etc).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:38 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Just wanted to say thank you to those who responded. Thank you!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Figured I should better ask here, before starting a new thread - anyone have any experience with Presidents Club status in Dubai? Looking to rent from DXB, wonder if I should hope for an upgrade or not, since Europcar is significantly cheaper - but I'd be willing to pay more in hopes of leveraging status and getting an upgrade.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Figured I should better ask here, before starting a new thread - anyone have any experience with Presidents Club status in Dubai? Looking to rent from DXB, wonder if I should hope for an upgrade or not, since Europcar is significantly cheaper - but I'd be willing to pay more in hopes of leveraging status and getting an upgrade.
Yes of course you get an upgrade. At any Avis managed lot in the world. It's been a while since I rented at DXB, but I recall they have some nice cars. However the main reason I would choose Avis isn't the upgrade. It's the fact that you are PC and in case there is some kind of problem you will have more juice with Avis than with Europcar.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes of course you get an upgrade. At any Avis managed lot in the world. It's been a while since I rented at DXB, but I recall they have some nice cars. However the main reason I would choose Avis isn't the upgrade. It's the fact that you are PC and in case there is some kind of problem you will have more juice with Avis than with Europcar.
That's true, that's a very valid point. My other choice is Sixt Diamond, so I posted in their forum to ask for an opinion, but in this case Avis is significantly cheaper than Sixt, so as long as I don't wind up in a Toyota Echo (which is what I'd basically book, hehe), then I think it's a done deal.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:18 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Yes of course you get an upgrade. At any Avis managed lot in the world.
Where have you seen this? I've called w special requests when I've been to Europe & South America as both a CC and PC. All times I've been told "we'll put a note on the reservation but can't guarantee anything. Your [PC/CC] status is only guaranteed in US/Canada."

In Europe, I've received minor upgrades (1-2 class. Not like the US). In South America, no dice.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Where have you seen this? I've called w special requests when I've been to Europe & South America as both a CC and PC. All times I've been told "we'll put a note on the reservation but can't guarantee anything. Your [PC/CC] status is only guaranteed in US/Canada."

In Europe, I've received minor upgrades (1-2 class. Not like the US). In South America, no dice.
Two things.

1. Yes as there is no PC in Europe, you are effectively downgraded to Preferred. However Preferred are entitled to upgrades and it does show up in your reservation that you are PC. So the local staff can give you an extra upgrade if they are on the ball.

2. I've rented over 100 times in Europe and elsewhere and I always get an upgrade. Usually I am upgraded several levels when I book a compact.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Class reserved: Full size
Car received: Infinity JX35
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Class Reserved: Full size
Class Received: Infiniti QX80
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
Where: HOU (Hobby)
Assigned: Ford Escape
Received: 2014 Camaro SS with 700 miles on it.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Two things.

1. Yes as there is no PC in Europe, you are effectively downgraded to Preferred. However Preferred are entitled to upgrades and it does show up in your reservation that you are PC. So the local staff can give you an extra upgrade if they are on the ball.

2. I've rented over 100 times in Europe and elsewhere and I always get an upgrade. Usually I am upgraded several levels when I book a compact.
Watch out for the upgrades in Europe. Your credit cards may not cover the insurance. Last time I checked my Chase United Club Visa would not cover the insurance on BMW 5 series or Mercedes E Class rentals in Germany. Good news is they did cover the Z4.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Impaul4
Where: HOU (Hobby)
Assigned: Ford Escape
Received: 2014 Camaro SS with 700 miles on it.
paid or free? what'd you say if it was free? You seem to get great upgrades quite frequently... teach me your ways! hahaha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.