Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Chairman at LHR, Reserved Intermediate and also got the DS5. I loved it!

Originally Posted by stimpy
PC
Reserved Compact, received Citroën DS5. Probably the best French car I've ever driven and certainly better than any US based BMW I've rented in recent years. And I think my very first rental car that had a heads-up display! It has a little piece of plexiglas that swivels up on command near the windshield. And it displays your speed and other stuff like cruise control, etc.

It also had very nice bucket seats, upper and lower console, separate moon-roofs for driver, passenger and rear seats, butt-warmers, GPS, nice smartphone interface, backup video camera, etc.

I would not mind owning this car.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Level: PC
Rented: Intermediate
Received: BMW 328xi
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:03 pm

Level: Preferred
Rented: Standard
Offered: Base 2.5L Fusion, then 300.
Recieved: Settled on a 2.5 Passat SE with 400 miles. We drove 1,400 miles in one week, the Passat was a great choice, averaged 32 mpg, much better than I expected.

Level: Preferred
Rented: Premium
Offered: BMW 328i xDrive
Received: BMW 328i xDrive. Couldn't believe this one. There was a Taurus on the lot and a Genesis which would have been fine, but they offered me the 328 for no cost.

Rented: Standard SUV
Offered: GMC Terrain 3.6 SLT or Mazda CX9
Received: GMC Terrain. Had a ton of options but the seats were not comfortable. Averaged 24 mpg, not bad, but the 3.6L felt underpowered. Can't imagine what the 2.4L would have been like.

Rented: Standard SUV
Offered: Lincoln MKX or Ford Escape Titanium (but 2wd and from AZ)
Received: Lincoln MKX. The Escape would have been perfect but I wanted 4WD for the mountains. MKX was a solid car though, the 3.7 V6 definitely has good power, plus got 25 mpg.

Offered: Focus SE, Dodge Dart, or Kia Optima
Received: Kia Optima. I was tempted to try the Dart but the Optima, despite being completely base model, still had a lot of good features that I wasn't expecting. Plus it's technically an upgrade. Good car, much better than a base model Malibu or Camry in its class.

Rented: Full size
Offered: Passat or Fusion Titanium.
Requested: 300
Received: 300. 8 speed auto was nice for a short road trip, the seats were too wide though. Even though it had 8,000 miles there was some terrible staining on the back seat. Still, averaged 29 mpg.

Last edited by mittencuh; Nov 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Received: BMW 328xi
OK - after driving this 2013 for a week, im stumped. Can someone who gets these BMW's often help me?

When I'm at stop lights, the engine shuts down (to save gas?) and then when I step on the gas, it turns back on. Its annoying as hell. How do I shut this off?

Whats up with the weird manual temperature dial at the center console by the vents? It appears to operate completely independantly from the main temp control?

The LCD screen is worthless. It just shows me the available radio stations. I dont seem to be able to "zoom into" a station to have it show Station Name, Song, Artist, etc... Is there anyway to change this?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
OK - after driving this 2013 for a week, im stumped. Can someone who gets these BMW's often help me?

When I'm at stop lights, the engine shuts down (to save gas?) and then when I step on the gas, it turns back on. Its annoying as hell. How do I shut this off?
That's the start-stop function. The full explanation from BMW:

Auto Start-Stop Function
The idea is simple: when you stop, so will your engine.

Red lights, long trains, traffic jams, road work. There are countless instances when your engine unnecessarily uses fuel while your vehicle is not in motion. With the intelligent Auto Start-Stop function-an innovation developed as part of BMW EfficientDynamics-your BMW is designed to not only reduce fuel consumption, but also lower emissions so your engine can automatically turn off when it's not needed, and restart when it is.

Auto Start-Stop is managed by a central control unit that monitors the battery.

To ensure passenger comfort and safety, Auto Start-Stop is only active when certain conditions are met. These include, but are not limited to:

– An adequately charged battery
– An engine at the ideal operating temperature
– Fully closed doors
– Fastened seatbelts
I suppose you could unbuckle to prevent it from stopping the engine!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by QSilver
That's the start-stop function. The full explanation from BMW
Found this too:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/08/13/bm...stop-settings/

Seems people dont like it. I certainly dont.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:04 am

Whats up with the weird manual temperature dial at the center console by the vents? It appears to operate completely independantly from the main temp control?

The LCD screen is worthless. It just shows me the available radio stations. I dont seem to be able to "zoom into" a station to have it show Station Name, Song, Artist, etc... Is there anyway to change this?
You can turn off auto stop/start by pressing the button above the start button with an A with a line through it.

The center vent temperature dial is a feature that's used to be on nearly every Mercedes and BMW but is now pretty much only BMW. It controls the air flow through the two center console vents. If you leave it in the center position it goes along with the rest of climate control. It used to be around with the intention that you could blow cold air out the middle vents to help you stay awake at night at high speeds while using the defroster on a higher heat setting. In 2013 it really doesn't make sense anymore but I used to drive a 1994 E300 diesel and it actually did help keep me alert.

The 328i that I had automatically displayed all of the radio station info? I personally love the newer versions of iDrive. It's a lot better than GM's system and My FordTouch in my personal Focus Titanium.

You can find the 328i's full owners manual online at BMW's website for free.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Pretty much all European cars and even American cars sold in Europe have this auto-stop feature. But on every car I have driven you can turn it off, although you might have to turn it off each time you start the motor. It is usually labeled "ECO" on the button you press to turn off.

Blame the environmentalist lobby, the so called Green parties here in Europe. Yet no one I know thinks it does any good for the environment.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by mittencuh
You can turn off auto stop/start by pressing the button above the start button with an A with a line through it.
Originally Posted by stimpy
But on every car I have driven you can turn it off, although you might have to turn it off each time you start the motor.
Ahhh... finally, no more auto start. What an obnoxious feature. Thanks!!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:00 am

Auto Stop/Start is on pretty much all new European cars because it defaults the most efficient setting. This allows the manufacturer to claim MPG ratings that are higher than actual real world numbers and meet EU standards for minimum(average?) fleet wide MPG.

It is a bit of a joke to sit into a 911 and experience this!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986
It is a bit of a joke to sit into a 911 and experience this!
Agree. Really bothered me on the new 911. At least when you turn it off, it stays off until you turn it back on. I doubt the feature saves that much petrol on a smaller 4 cylinder car but I could see it adding a bit of efficiency to a larger V6 or V8 car.

That being said, I didn't find it too obnoxious on the 328. I got used to it after a little while and I didn't mind the peace and quiet sitting in roadworks on the interstate. Also the regenerative braking on the 328 makes sitting in traffic a breeze, if you're just moving along slowly sometimes you don't even need to brake, the regenerative brakes keep you just slow enough.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 9:14 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Not to interrupt the how-to-configure-your-Beemer discussion but...

Date: 11/12
Reserved: Intermediate
Offered: Nothing at first -- "Er, let me see what we got here...". Then various oddballs, including Captiva, Suburban, Excursion, Wrangler.
Requested: Almost any Mazda
Offered (& declined): Mazda 5
Offered: Mazda CX-9 (as soon as it got out of the wash)
Exchanged to: VW Tiguan

This particular experience was just as weird and disorganized as my summary above implies. When I arrived, every slot on the Preferred board said "See Preferred Counter". The agent found my reservation, and instead of offering anything just asked me what I wanted. Which flummoxed me, because usually I reserve Full and ask for an Infiniti or BMW, but I'm honestly not sure what to ask for with an Intermediate reservation. So I asked what they had, and was told "Basically nothing -- let's see..." followed by an eclectic list of SUVs that didn't sound all that appealing. Apparently Veteran's Day cleaned them out of every kind of sedan, leaving only SUVs and the occasional minivan.

Happily, during the 15 minute wait for the CX-9 to show up, I found a Tiguan sitting in the Exchange-n-Go row and took it. While I didn't much like it at first (mushy accelerator pedal, very basic interior & features), it grew on me a lot, and I'd happily request one in the future. It feels like a BMW X3 once you get the accelerator calibrated, and this is a good thing.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by QBK
Not to interrupt the how-to-configure-your-Beemer discussion but...

Date: 11/12
Reserved: Intermediate
Offered: Nothing at first -- "Er, let me see what we got here...". Then various oddballs, including Captiva, Suburban, Excursion, Wrangler.
Requested: Almost any Mazda
Offered (& declined): Mazda 5
Offered: Mazda CX-9 (as soon as it got out of the wash)
Exchanged to: VW Tiguan

This particular experience was just as weird and disorganized as my summary above implies. When I arrived, every slot on the Preferred board said "See Preferred Counter". The agent found my reservation, and instead of offering anything just asked me what I wanted. Which flummoxed me, because usually I reserve Full and ask for an Infiniti or BMW, but I'm honestly not sure what to ask for with an Intermediate reservation. So I asked what they had, and was told "Basically nothing -- let's see..." followed by an eclectic list of SUVs that didn't sound all that appealing. Apparently Veteran's Day cleaned them out of every kind of sedan, leaving only SUVs and the occasional minivan.
If you don't ask you'll never know. FWIW, when I do not like my car I always ask for a specific set of cars. Rather than "What do you have?" I ask "Can I have a BMW, infiniti, Volvo?" and see what they come back with. I agree renting Full Size upfront does help a bit but you may get a generous person if it was an Intermediate rental.

LAX
PC
Rented: Full Size
Received: BMW 528i

On a side note, I have received a number of cars "Right after they were washed" It is annoying that apparently Avis skips the drying part of the wash so you just end up with dried water spots all over the car.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Jfk
Cc
Rented: intermediate
Received Lincoln MKZ without Nav
Exchanged MKs brand new 400 miles. They had to fish the chip out of the trunk, but working Nav and sat radio.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
On a side note, I have received a number of cars "Right after they were washed" It is annoying that apparently Avis skips the drying part of the wash so you just end up with dried water spots all over the car.
Almost every car I've rented at both Avis and Hertz at an airport location has been like this. The Passat I rented in BOS was so bad I stopped at a gas station a few miles later to clean off the wing mirrors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.