For a while now I've been meaning to experiment with my rental booking to see if I can get lower rates.
My upcoming trip is LAX Sept 6 to 9. Exactly 3 day rental, evening arrival and return, standard size car ("Monte Carlo or similar").
I experimented on Avis.com using a browser with no cookies (web site did not recognize me). I tried a couple of different AWD numbers I've seen posted here (A460200 and L149332) and tried USA and Canada as country of residence. No wizard number was entered.
Here is a breakdown of my results:
AWD # rate residence rate code
A460200 198.50 USA IZ
L149332 185.11 USA 3A
A460200 166.60 CAN HN
L149332 157.83 CAN HN
I did not enter a rate code (just reporting what it came back with). All prices above are in USD (including all taxes, no optional coverage selected).
I then accessed avis.com with my usual browser, and it recognized me, and I tried the same booking as above (my Wizard and AWD number being part of my profile).
I got a rate of $120.97 USD (rate code was HO).
I then went back and tried to enter one of the above AWD numbers into the booking. I got the message
Incompatible AWD - The AWD number you have entered is not compatible with your Wizard number. Please indicate how you would like to proceed by selecting one of the following options. Note: If you choose to replace your AWD number you will not be able to use your preferred benefits for this renatl (and only this rental). Additionally, this reservation will not be displayed in your "My Avis" reservation listing.
I decided not to continue with that line of inquiry.
So basically my question is:
1) Can I do better than $120 for a 3 day (week-day) rental from LAX?
2) How exactly can I use alternate AWD numbers and not experience an incompatibility with my Wizard number?
3) Is there a list of rate codes that will magically give me a better rate if I use the right one?
4) Are there any coupon numbers in circulation? (or do I need a physical coupon when I get to the rental counter?)
5) I remember seeing an entry for something like "cost control" but I didn't see it in the above booking screens. Is / was there something called "cost control", and what can I put in there (if I can make it appear that is) ?