Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Book Avis in my name and put United MileagePlus number for my dad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum

Title says it all, will it work or they match the United MileagePlus number to the name?

Thx
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Not sure currently, but a few years ago I know that Avis did name matching. I'd assume they still do and don't let fraud like this through.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Not sure currently, but a few years ago I know that Avis did name matching. I'd assume they still do and don't let fraud like this through.
My impression is that the name matching was done on the airline side. The rental company doesn't have access to the airline's database, so they wouldn't know what the name on the FF account is. But when they submit their data to United/AA/DL/etc., they also include the name on the contract, and then the airline rejects it if the name doesn't match.

The question I've never figured out the solid answer to, though, is how strict they are with name-matching. In other contexts, I've seen the name matching be quite loose, to the point that if even only the last name matches, it works fine. If that's the case with the OP, who knows--it might work. But I dont know any of the particulars between Avis and United.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raj_cl
Title says it all, will it work or they match the United MileagePlus number to the name?

Thx
is the purpose of this to keep your dad's UA miles from expiring for another 18 months?

Because if that's not the reason, then you'll get so few UA miles for an Avis rental (UA's main partnership is with Hertz), that I don't know if it's worth the bother of the risk of it not working and thus no one earning anything.

You only get a more significant number of miles per Avis rental with those airlines for which they have promotions:
and I've never seen UA on that list in the last few years that I've been monitoring that thread and its predecessor threads.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
OP here.

Yes, the objective was to prevent expiring miles.

I don't have a past experience that definitively proves this works, hence my question. Upon seeing the responses which could not prove definitively I did not take the risk. Just entered my number.

Got another way to extend my dad's miles.

Thanks for the responses.

sdsearch - glad to see your response, detailed like always. Where are your trademark underlined and bold texts :-) just kidding, much appreciate your helpful link to the Avis promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.