Search

AVIS Preferred Select & Go

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AVIS Preferred Select & Go

Hi guys,

So what exactly is the point behind this program to "Select & Go" instead of your assigned rental if there is nothing in that row at all?

On the last two rentals (and I rent weekly since beginning of March through to October 2017), I was sent an email letting me know what slot my rental would be in and that I could also use the "Select & Go". Both times, nothing was parked in the "Select & Go" rows at all.

This is Toronto YYZ. Would you recommend I go to the Preferred kiosk and ask in the future? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Right... so nearly 150 views and no comments/thoughts... so I'm guessing this is typical and "business as usual" for AVIS then.

Too bad we don't have any representation from AVIS lurking about on this board like Starwoods, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:53 am

I have seen a good number of vehicles in Select & Go both at JFK and EWR. However at both those places there was hardly anything that one would want to pick up. Even on the app the exchange options that appear are not good enough. Probably one in a ten chance that you will find something worthwhile through that route. You are much better off going in to the preferred desk and asking for whatever you are wanting.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

When are you arriving? I think that's key. I often get to YYZ either Sunday night or sometime Monday. There are always cars in the S&G row. Not usually great stuff, but options at least.

However, over arrived a few times mod-week and the lot is BARE (no more than 5-7 vehicles total). So if you are coming in then, maybe this is what you're seeing?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

I usually arrive on Sunday evenings around 5:30 to 6pm depending on how fast the plane gets a jetway and arrival of luggage.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Avis Preferred
The last time I rented, we went at 7 on a Thursday to the MEM location. They had a full Select & Go that was stocked with 4-5 each of identical Cruzes and Sentras. Underwhelming, to say the least.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Hi guys,

So what exactly is the point behind this program to "Select & Go" instead of your assigned rental if there is nothing in that row at all?

On the last two rentals (and I rent weekly since beginning of March through to October 2017), I was sent an email letting me know what slot my rental would be in and that I could also use the "Select & Go". Both times, nothing was parked in the "Select & Go" rows at all.

This is Toronto YYZ. Would you recommend I go to the Preferred kiosk and ask in the future? Thoughts?

Thanks.
The program is not limited to YYZ. So perhaps you should be asking not what the point of the program is, but what is the point of YYZ participating in the program?

Ie, not all locations are participating in Select & Go. Most of those that can't do it (for example, because they're too small) don't try.

However, just because it fails at one time of the week does't mean it fails all the time, even at that one location. So you have to expect to be "the blind men and the elephant" (you can't tell if what you're seeing is at all representative of the whole program) if you're always renting from the same location at the same time of day on the same day of the week.

I can imagine, for example, that they might have a staffing issue in the hours leading up to you arrival time, and there's just no one available to stock the Select & Go aisle at that hour (unless they resolve the staffing issue).

Going to the Preferred desk and asking if you can get another car can't hurt anything other than possibly waste your time (if it also gets no results), so you might as well try. Keep in mind this was the only way of getting a car other than what you were assigned before Select & Go originated a handful of years ago.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus, National EC, Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've rented more than 10 times last year at YYZ, most of the time select & go is useless - either don't have cars or all quite ...... cars. Don't know if it's been better recently. That being said you can always talk to the preferred booth for a change. I've done this many times, they will offer you what they have.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Frankly, I still think the long term solution is Avis Now (which is not available in Canada yet, but I am not sure why). I believe when Now is adequately deployed and used (since tv commercials have started), I believe Select and Go may go away unless locations ask for it because they think this is the best way to get people to rent VW convertibles and other slow moving cars. Because Select and Go is designed for those who would have access to Now in most cases.

I recognize people think choices in the app are not great, but I think it does adequately and could do even better if they are more aggressive in the choices they offer and include slow moving vehicles (low rental utilization with losses in monthly fleet costs). I think Avis should include that logic in some of the cars it offers. I suspect we will get a lot more unique choices which would be a win-win for Avis. If you are offering me choices of cars that are easier to rent because of demand, that is not quite the best scenario.

Rasheed
Old May 18, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
Frankly, I still think the long term solution is Avis Now (which is not available in Canada yet, but I am not sure why). I believe when Now is adequately deployed and used (since tv commercials have started), I believe Select and Go may go away unless locations ask for it because they think this is the best way to get people to rent VW convertibles and other slow moving cars. Because Select and Go is designed for those who would have access to Now in most cases.

I recognize people think choices in the app are not great, but I think it does adequately and could do even better if they are more aggressive in the choices they offer and include slow moving vehicles (low rental utilization with losses in monthly fleet costs). I think Avis should include that logic in some of the cars it offers. I suspect we will get a lot more unique choices which would be a win-win for Avis. If you are offering me choices of cars that are easier to rent because of demand, that is not quite the best scenario.
Yuck. I don't want for Select & Go to be replaced by something that only works on a phone app, because I don't want to pay roaming charges (for using a phone in another country) or have to buy a local SIM card before I pick up the car just to use a replacement for Select & Go. (Not to mention the fraction of people who have Microsoft phones or flip phones or whatever and can't use this or that app.)

And perhaps that's why it's not available in Canada? I don't think a phone app makes sense as a sole solution for a worldwide company.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:13 pm

Why not do something similar to what national does and just have an aisle even if it's small to put cars where people can exchange for no charge?
Old May 20, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Why not do something similar to what national does and just have an aisle even if it's small to put cars where people can exchange for no charge?
Isn't that exactly what Avis Select & Go is? Except that it adds the ability to Upgrade (for a fee) in addition to Exchange (for free)? And except that it claims (not sure if enforced) to require you have reserved a midsize or larger to qualify? (I've never used National so I don't know how similar it actually is, but based your description doesn't seem much different from Select & Go Exchange is.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The Select & Go exchange section at my usual location is exactly 6 spaces... all of which are always empty. I'm also never assigned a vehicle in advance, and when I try to use the app to select one, there are never any cars available there earlier. It's not a matter of lack of availability, as most often I'm assigned the exact same vehicle class I booked after visiting the counter (so much for elite upgrades). Downright infuriating for those who are used to National EA/ES. I've spoken with Avis about these issues, and they mentioned they are putting their weight behind the app, and that it is intended to be the evolution of Select & Go spaces.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Isn't that exactly what Avis Select & Go is? Except that it adds the ability to Upgrade (for a fee) in addition to Exchange (for free)? And except that it claims (not sure if enforced) to require you have reserved a midsize or larger to qualify? (I've never used National so I don't know how similar it actually is, but based your description doesn't seem much different from Select & Go Exchange is.
I do about 95% of my rentals with national and 5% with Avis the times it is cheaper or want a specific car class. With national you are not assigned a car and can just walk into any car in the aisle and be on your way. No need for contracts and etc. At the Avis I go to they never have any cars in there and even if they do its cars like a Mercedes E300 with a contract already.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by javabytes
The Select & Go exchange section at my usual location is exactly 6 spaces... all of which are always empty. I'm also never assigned a vehicle in advance, and when I try to use the app to select one, there are never any cars available there earlier. It's not a matter of lack of availability, as most often I'm assigned the exact same vehicle class I booked after visiting the counter (so much for elite upgrades). Downright infuriating for those who are used to National EA/ES. I've spoken with Avis about these issues, and they mentioned they are putting their weight behind the app, and that it is intended to be the evolution of Select & Go spaces.
No cars to choose on app or empty Select & Go section? What location are you talking about?

Do you always arrive before your reservation time?

If possible, why don't you put your check-out time about an hour before you actually arrive? (Assuming you don't need that hour for a 24 hour interval). For a normal airport location, I have no idea why you never get assigned a car unless there is something on your Preferred profile that requires a personal visit to the counter or booth.

Of course, once you get assigned a car automatically, you can THEN swap the car on the app. You must be assigned a car before the app will give you switch choices.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.