Wiki Posts
Search

Odometer lower than start miles !

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Odometer lower than start miles !

I picked up my car at LHR T5 the other evening and doing my usual checks I discovered that while the rental agreement showed "Miles at Start" as 9051, the car itself was telling me it had only been driven 7752...

I got the agent to come out and have a look and she said she would update the system, but of course I have no way of confirming she did as the branch is impossible to reach by phone and the central teams can't see the start mileage apparently...

Anybody want to take a guess at what will happen when I return the car later this week, having driven 299 miles ? At that point, the odometer will read 8051 but the system will think I have driven (8051 - 9051) = minus 1000 miles

My guess is that I will get an automatic EZ Fuel charge and probably a bunch of other fees as well

I will report back on Friday !
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

From many experiences with this: you'll have to allot time to go see an agent at the counter. Tell them the actual outbound mileage and current mileage (or how far you drove,plus current mileage). They'll fix it quickly in the system and you'll be on your way. Never had an issue with this.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Depending on the location, someone (either the person checking you in, or someone in the booth) will modify the "out" mileage, most likely to something that will mean you drove a few hundred miles (regardless of what you actually drove).

They will do this without you having to ask based on the return mileage being lower than the rented mileage. Given you know the actual mileage, if you tell them they will likely use that - although in my experience they just as likely won't.

I've had this happen at least 3-4 times. Other than potentially a few extra minutes when returning the car I've never had it cause any issues.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Delta GM, Avis P+
I turned a car in that supposedly had driven over 10,000 miles in 3 days. The gate agent laughed and said it was an obvious typo and told me to have the rental counter take care of it. Took 10 minutes, nobody had an issue.

Do you have an unlimited miles rate?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
It was a total non-story in the end.

Check-in guy's handheld printer was broken so had to go into the office anyway and ask for my invoice. It showed the price I'd been quoted correct to the penny so I didn't bother to ask about the mileage. I assume the clerk made the correction as promised or Avis IT was smart enough to auto-correct ... definitely the former "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.