-----

Last edited by notlikely; Oct 24, 2016 at 11:22 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I've heard a lot less complaints about Hertz than Avis
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Thought I'd just update on this.

I spoke to Avis Customer Service. First agent was very unhelpful, although agreeing to refund the first rental overcharge. Agent was almost confrontational.

Called again. They won't do anything about the second rental (as it's "open") and they also won't cover the exchange rate fees which I have incurred due to their error. (E.g. They overcharge me $500, I have to pay 5% spread on that in Ł when it hits my credit card). They then refund me $500, but I don't get back the 5% FX spread. Unbelievable when it's their error in the first place.

Of course, the booking agents to make reservations are always so nice.. so it starts to feel like typical shoddy business practices.

Overall, this just isn't good enough. I'll try Hertz when this rental is up.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Further:

Apparently the FX fee which I was charged by my credit card for a USD transaction can be refunded if I submit a screenshot of the charge from my cc... so I have done that, and now I have to wait 15 days for that too.

And for the open rental I have to go to the rental location and talk to the manager. If I can't resolve it that way I won't spend more time on it, but just dispute the charge on my cc when it comes in.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Last update:

I went to the Avis location in the US where I am, and they fixed everything on the open rental I have now in about 15 minutes. I guess that's the way to do it, to avoid having to deal with it afterwards and get refunded.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:24 am

Your title is a bit misleading, I've had issues in the past with another rental agency where they have simply charged me for the full amount of the rental, as if I haven't pre-paid it at all, a quick call followed by e-mailing them the pre-paid voucher and within a few days I got refunded.

I also had once a car rental agency charging me for an extra driver claiming it is not one of the benefits I should get for free, again a quick call to the customer service number after the rental was closed and I got refunded the amount in a few days

People, and that includes car rental agencies employees make mistakes, no need to take it that hard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.