Overcharged, need help/advice

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Overcharged, need help/advice

Picked up a car on Oct 8th in Boston, dropped off car on Oct 9th at 3:15 in Boston Airport with tank on full. Have picture of the Odometer with date and time stamp on the 9th with tank of full. Stayed in Boston on the 9th and 10th, flew home on Oct 11th. Avis said I didn't return the car till Oct 13th so they are trying to overcharge me significantly.

Need some advice/help on the subject.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by AlabamaTraveler
Picked up a car on Oct 8th in Boston, dropped off car on Oct 9th at 3:15 in Boston Airport with tank on full. Have picture of the Odometer with date and time stamp on the 9th with tank of full. Stayed in Boston on the 9th and 10th, flew home on Oct 11th. Avis said I didn't return the car till Oct 13th so they are trying to overcharge me significantly.

Need some advice/help on the subject.
Was this 3:15 in the afternoon or morning? If it was in the afternoon, you should have received a receipt from the Avis employee checking you in.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Same boat here. I returned to CMH at 4am and put the keys in the drop box, as directed. Have a picture with the fuel/mileage and ticket stubs showing what time I flew out (5am). They didn't return the car until 12 hours later and charged an extra day. I've sent several notes without no reply. I'm disputing on my credit card since they won't reply.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I had this happen to me once, but I flew immediately after dropping the car and therefore could produce boarding passes/other evidence of leaving. Still ended up charging the amount back though, because Avis decided they were still right. Credit card company saw sense.

Might be tricky if you didn't fly immediately. Do you have any evidence that you didn't need a car from that point? Did you stay in a hotel that offered zero parking options? With a companion that had their own car?

Also watch out for any erroneous 'damage' that appears in the extra days you 'rented' the car.

Failing that, showing you left on the 11th via a boarding pass might be enough for them to realise they were wrong and credit back all the days.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Agree that a BP is usually the best way to handle it. Had an extra 18 charge for one-way drop off appearing. I had a look at the invoice and they actually closed the contract in the other airport of the city (CDG vs drop off at ORY). Contested this in a quick call to Avis CR, and in a few days the charge was gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.