Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Insurance to Europe - Extra?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
International Insurance to Europe - Extra?

Hello
I rented on saturday, in Avis Moscow, a car for a week. It wasn't cheap (250U$S), and the car was the cheapest, though brand new. I never use Avis, I use Thrifty as it is closer from my place and seriously cheaper), but they didn't allow to leave the Russian Federation.
I booked adding to my booking I wanted to travel to Latvia, I paid the full insurance, and got a printed official paper allowing me to take a Russian car outside the Russian border. When I entered at Terehova in Latvia, the Latvian Police asked me for the Green Card (the car insurance in the EU). I had none. Some ladies sold it for 50 Euros. Before buying it, I called AVIS call centre and they told me it was not included in the fare, albeit I had paid the full insurance pack, but that was only valid for Russia.
So, what's the point? Can I ask for a refund? I will use the insurance just 4 days and I had to pay it for 1 month...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:45 pm

Check what is in your rental agreement, most likely you paid the extra for reducing/removing the own risk, and unless otherwise specified might only be valid in Russia.

Were you at any point told that the insurance you pay for will cover you outside Russia? If so then you can try and ask for a refund.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
No, I wasn't told that. But I wasn't told the oposite, and I was given documents that would allow me to drive to Latvia. I expected it to be an insurance as well. Why wouldn't it be included?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:15 am

I would never assume an insurance or any other fee is included unless it is clearly stated that it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.