Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Upgraded or downgraded when reserved size unavailable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Booked my father with Avis for full size car via autoslash. Off-airport location in Wichita. He rents once a year or so, and I also rent very infrequently, so I apologize if this is kind of basic.

He was told there are no full size "sedans" (very specific; relevant?), but he can upgrade for about $35 extra for the week (reservation at around 160) to an SUV. He took the SUV. Is that correct, that with no options of reserved size he has to either take a free downgrade or pay for an upgrade?

This old thread below suggests that some have had this happen, but then OP said he got emailed by Avis that policy is to upgrade. It's a bit old though, premium res, and OP had status. I didn't find other threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...class-car.html

Thx for comments. It's not a huge charge, but my dad is in his 70's and has been scammed a time or two, so I get a bit defensive.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'd write to Avis CS. Since a rental car reservation isn't binding, they have a few options:
1. Cancel your reservation & make you re-reserve whatever they have available.
2. Downgrade & compensate
3. Free upgrade
4. Make you pay to upgrade, so they don't do #1

Options 1 & 4 are very pathetic. #2 isn't too much better, but still doesn't kill one's opinion of them. #3 is really the best option. I'm sure if you write CS, they will refund the $35, PLUS any taxes/fees that are % based. Keep us posted.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by maverick17
Booked my father with Avis for full size car via autoslash. Off-airport location in Wichita. He rents once a year or so, and I also rent very infrequently, so I apologize if this is kind of basic.

He was told there are no full size "sedans" (very specific; relevant?), but he can upgrade for about $35 extra for the week (reservation at around 160) to an SUV. He took the SUV. Is that correct, that with no options of reserved size he has to either take a free downgrade or pay for an upgrade?

This old thread below suggests that some have had this happen, but then OP said he got emailed by Avis that policy is to upgrade. It's a bit old though, premium res, and OP had status. I didn't find other threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...class-car.html

Thx for comments. It's not a huge charge, but my dad is in his 70's and has been scammed a time or two, so I get a bit defensive.

I always rent full-size vehicles. The times they haven't had a full-size in the lot, I have never been offered a lower class vehicle, not once out of 50+ times I've rented from Avis. Even when they have full-size vehicles, I'm offered a premium or a Prius at the bare minimum. On the otherhand, I've never rented from a non-airport location. From what I hear, the chances of renting from a non-corporate Avis location goes up dramatically when you rent at non-airport locations. With non-corporate locations, they can set their own rules.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will update what I find out after he returns the vehicle tomorrow. I appreciate the comments. I have emailed CS and asked my father to kindly mention it to the attendant. Also I did not think of the non-corporate part, but that makes sense too.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
I wouldn't be surprised if they took that action because the original rental was booked on a third party website.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:56 am

I always book a Compact car for my personal rentals and 9/10 times my neighborhood location doesn't have a Compact. They always upgrade me to the next available class at no charge and never even ask me to pay for an upgrade.

The same thing happens at the airport locations too, but there was one instance (MCO, I think) where the rental agent asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the next higher class for $$ (oos disguised as upsell?). I said no and got the free upgrade anyways. Maybe the rental agent was just trying to upsell to see if it'll fly.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Zalyn
The same thing happens at the airport locations too, but there was one instance (MCO, I think) where the rental agent asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the next higher class for $$ (oos disguised as upsell?). I said no and got the free upgrade anyways. Maybe the rental agent was just trying to upsell to see if it'll fly.
I think I'm about 50/50 on getting the upgrade for free vs. getting a car in the originally booked class in situations like these, but it's also exceedingly rare that I have to go to the counter these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.