Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Preferred Plus status "work" in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Does Preferred Plus status "work" in Germany?

According to this:
https://secure.avis-europe.com/secur...in=BE&NBE=true

Preferred Plus members get a free additional driver. Since my wife has a Citi Prestige card, I was thinking of using that to get her Preferred Plus status (US-based) and then renting a car in Germany with the intent of getting a free additional driver (me). Other rental companies charge between 4-13 Euros a day for an additional driver, so this could work out to be a significant savings. However, I'm not sure the free additional driver benefit will be honored if the renter has "US-based" status. Anyone have experience with this?
Old May 18, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
After trying Twitter, first @Avis and then @Avis_DE and some DMs back and forth, I was told to call Avis USA to get an answer to this question. Called and was told it will be $8 per day up to $50 max to add an additional driver for a rental in Germany.

So I guess bottom-line is that the Europe-based Avis Preferred Plus status gives you an additional driver for free as a benefit, but the US-based version does not.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
The difference between the two schemes confuses me. As a UK Presidents Club holder, I received far better upgrades than my friend with the equivalent US status on the same trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.