Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Fee for changing drop off location from local neighborhood location to airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I am renting a BMW x5 this weekend and had the intentions of picking it up and dropping it off on monday at the closest local Avis by my condo. I just got notified that my company is sending me to Colorado next week with the intent of Monday being my travel day.

It would be more convient for me to return to the airport (iah). I asked the agent this morning when I had to pick up a rental for my girlfriend, but she said it depends and wouldn't know unless she tried to modify my reservation. I would think Avis would encourage me to return it to IAH as the signature series cars come from the airport's, no?

Edit: I can't modify my reservation to see the price change since I used points to cover the xm radio

Last edited by LReyes66; Apr 19, 2016 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Call reservations and ask them. There's no single answer for this, as it depends on the AWD, the rate, and the exact locations.

Be cautious that even if the rate itself doesn't change, there may be a per-mile rate added instead. (Never seen this for public AWD's, but many corporate ones work this way depending on the exact locations)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Delta GM, Avis P+
A friend of mine thought he got a killer deal on a one way rental, drove it up the California cost (several hundred miles). They charged him a per mile...like 3x what the rental was for the week.

Make SURE that you don't get hit with a one way mileage charge.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by phalkon30
Make SURE that you don't get hit with a one way mileage charge.
I've never seen a per-mile charge on a public rate.

However they are very common for one-way rentals on corporate rates - the rate itself will normally be the same as for a return to the same location, but with a per mile rate for the distance covered.

Depending on the situation it might be a good rate, or it might not be...
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:47 am

Definitely call, dropping off local to airport here in Charlotte was no change in rate, but it can vary by city.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
Definitely call, dropping off local to airport here in Charlotte was no change in rate, but it can vary by city.
Even if it's not a change in rates, they might hit you with the fees for the airport location.

David
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

To update, there was no fee if changed at the time of pickup or called within 24 hours.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Even if it's not a change in rates, they might hit you with the fees for the airport location.

David
Yes, which is why I said call, they are really good at advising any changes to rates, fees or other charges in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.