Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DNR Letter Received

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

DNR Letter Received

Please please tell me that these letters go out by mistake? - I am speechless. to the point that I have never posted here although I read these forums often but I need some help.

I have spent well over 20k dollars with this company in the last 24 months The locations and the people that work there have always been helpful, speedy and respectful. Especially the Danbury, CT and Poughkeepsie, NY locations. I want to make sure that I clarify that.

Back to my reason for visiting today ...... after many months of paying for a service!!! I received a DNR letter today with no explanation, no number to contact the company with and no means of clarifying this other then an email... The email being donotrent@ - first of all I think that the email address is disrespectful and unprofessional at the very least.

Secondly this is a business account and I cannot imagine treating a loyal customer with such disregard.

Even if there is a "reason" it most certainly is a misunderstanding and could be cleared up with a simple phone call. They have all my contact information and have never before hesitated to contact me if there was a question. I find this means of informing a client you no longer wish to do business with them inexcusable and severely unprofessional.

Before people jump to conclusions, there are no accidents, no damage claims, no outstanding invoices only one licensed driver, no crimes committed, no traffic tickets.

Even our discount codes we use are either public or my own company business code.

Am I missing something? Seems to me that if you are going to make this decision you would at the very least have the courtesy to give me a contact number to discuss.

Can anyone enlighten me? Obviously I will be taking my companies business else where and will advise family, friends, colleagues and clients to do the same just seems like a respectful answer wouldn't be too much to ask for being that I have spent thousands of dollars with them?

Oh and yes have contacted them via the email provides, their website Customer Service Link - apparently I am Preferred Plus Member and when calling customer service they told me I would need to speak to the department that sent the letter and gave me a phone number. I called and the message is "do not leave a message regarding a DNR letter as it will not be returned"

Still have not received a response so I am resorting to the internet to try and get some answers. Thank you again. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by magessa2016; Apr 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm Reason: Forgot some additional details.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
First of all, stupid question, what is DNR in the context of Avis? Do Not Rent?

Second you are posting from a brand new username. is it because you have never used the forum before or because you have other posts that you know we will pick apart? You listed the two locations you frequent so presumably if you are worried about confidentiality Avis could have already figured out who you are?

Third. I don't know how anyone can help you without knowing more about the backstory.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One obvious question is how many miles per day you and others using your account or company code tend to drive your Avis vehicles.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:24 pm

Well I learned a few things today.
From mistaken names to rental car abuse (this one is obvious) to apparently pissing off a station manager can all get you on a DNR. I suspect getting on there takes more than one person so short of mistaken identity they must think you did something serious. I wouldn't have thought about mileage but I suppose if your rentals average 300mi/day over $10k per year in rentals that would really mess with things.

Btw, $10k/year for rentals isn't that much, I'm probably more than half way there for the year by myself.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...rent-list.html
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In expensive locations, $10K would be a hundred rental days @ $100 per day, while at less costly places, it could be something like two hundred days (or Monday through Friday for forty weeks) @ $200. To me, this is a lot for one person.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:10 pm

It is, I guess my main point was that $10k for a whole company isn't much to get excited about or to expect you carry much sway.

You really got me thinking about how many miles a rental car company would deem abusive. I wonder how they cost a car in terms of lost value? Obviously this isn't linear but let's say $.15/mile? So if you really do 300mi/day the car would loose $45 in value? Seems plausible. So tack on other overhead, financing costs/staff/taxes they would probably need to charge $65 (inclusive of all taxes) just to break even?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
If you have a corporate account, have your contract manager contact their Avis counterpart. They can have you removed. You're not going to get far without that.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Contact them using one of their social media accounts (ideally Twitter). This will get you in contact with them the fastest
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
You really got me thinking about how many miles a rental car company would deem abusive. I wonder how they cost a car in terms of lost value? Obviously this isn't linear but let's say $.15/mile? So if you really do 300mi/day the car would loose $45 in value? Seems plausible. So tack on other overhead, financing costs/staff/taxes they would probably need to charge $65 (inclusive of all taxes) just to break even?
A few weeks back, I had a week long rental in a BMW 528i at IAH.

Due to the wrong Miles Out, when I returned the vehicle, it had me listed as having driven it 18,000+ miles, which flagged as "excessive mileage" and required me to go talk to the check in desk.

When I went to speak to her, she realized that it was just wrong miles out (more than likely I had driven it 400 miles), but she mentioned that >500 miles on a rental flags it as "excessive" and usually needs a check-in by the counter and not just in the return lane.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by 1kIAH
When I went to speak to her, she realized that it was just wrong miles out (more than likely I had driven it 400 miles), but she mentioned that >500 miles on a rental flags it as "excessive" and usually needs a check-in by the counter and not just in the return lane.
I regularly turn in cars with more than 1000 miles, last year even on a four day rental. Never had an issue, maybe it's a perk of being CHM.

David
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:23 pm

This seems ridiculous - I rent for 2-3 weeks at a time and I've never experienced this with, say, National. Is this really a thing?

Surely 'excessive miles' depends on the duration of the rental? It seems a stretch to call 500 miles 'excessive' on anything more than a 1 day rental when unlimited mileage is advertised.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

A few weeks back, I had a week long rental in a BMW 528i at IAH.

Due to the wrong Miles Out, when I returned the vehicle, it had me listed as having driven it 18,000+ miles, which flagged as "excessive mileage" and required me to go talk to the check in desk.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I regularly turn in cars with more than 1000 miles, last year even on a four day rental. Never had an issue, maybe it's a perk of being CHM.

David
It's got to do with miles/day, not total miles. I've been flagged quite a few times: sometimes due to incorrect miles out, other times since I often rent a car to drive to 1-day meetings that are 4-6 hours away instead of piling the miles on my car.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You received a letter with clear instructions to make contact through a designated email address. You have already disregarded that (which will have been noted by Avis). Disregard the advice here to use social media as that will seal the deal.

Either there has been a mistake or you are missing something. But, the folks who issue DNR decisions are not customer service people and they won't mess around. They will be back in touch if your email to them was coherent, short and to the point.

If it was not, start again. Send an email which is no more than 3-4 short declarative sentences. No emotion, no outrage and no reference to your spend. They don't care about the former and they know the latter.

Please report back when you hear. With some specifics, you can get some good advice. Until then you are simply flailing.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Some Answers

Wow thank you all for taking the time to read and give me some insights. I will try to answer the questions.

- Yes this is my first posting although I have often visited here and read through the post and always found them insightful - so no I have no other user names or post that I think you will pick apart.

- I am not worried about the location or the company finding out who I am and I am not trying to hide at all. I have no reservation in disclosing locations, names etc. I truly do not believe I am in the wrong.

-There's only two of us as this is a small company - it's my own company and I am independent.

- As far as mileage goes it varies - It could be 500 a week or for an example this week the car hasn't moved more then 20 miles the entire week.

- I realize that on the grand scheme my companies business probably doesn't mean much. Which I can see clearly now. However to me it's a lot and I honestly feel like I have been wronged. But of course I am looking at it from the inside.

- I have never had this issue before either so this is why I was caught off guard.

- I did use the email that the letter provided and was to the point although I can not promise I wasn't a bit emotional. I actually received a response back and was told to contact the station manager as he was the one who referred us to the DNR list. Ah getting somewhere.....

- So the station manager indicated that he referred us to the DNR list because we used a code that we were not authorized to use. Being this is not the case he asked we provide proof that we are authorized and he will remove us from the list.

- Fine no problem however now he says looking back on your history there are several company codes you will need proof for? So at this point it seems as if this is personal to me......He goes on to say yeah we know all about "retail me not" etc.

- So I guess we pissed him off? Again, no accidents, no claims, no damage, no complaints always pay on time.... and I realize this isn't a big deal to such a large company I guess I learned a lesson.

- I do feel like we are flailing

- I have been in contact with my business account Rep at Avis to see if she can clear it up but obviously I don't want to give them any more business anyways. I am sure there are abusive situations that go on so I can appreciate the business aspect of it but I still don't have to agree with it.

- Interestingly our current rental is paid for until the 28th of the month which we are still in good standing to keep that. I don't know the whole thing just seems strange.

Thank you al for your comments....
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Ok - being a high volume renter at a particular location, the manager looked into your acct, probably to better understand your needs and ensure loyalty ... Instead noticed you appear to be price hunting across multiple Corp discount codes ... I guess decided your volume/profitability wasn't enough to look past the situation

I rent weekly from one of a set of five Avis locations, at least three of them know me well, and a fourth appears to view my account and always gives me the nicest vehicle in inventory -- I assume to try to draw me from the other stations, which are in more convenient locations ... Wish the station I go to for weekend rentals did the same ! They tend to assign me crap models, I've moved my weekend spend to Nationsl, even though the cost is significantly more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.