Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Moral: Don't leave Avis lot without checking your contract

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moral: Don't leave Avis lot without checking your contract

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Exclamation Moral: Don't leave Avis lot without checking your contract

Bad news, good news story: I misconnected with my flight to OGG several weeks ago, and used the unexpected 5 hour layover to call the OGG Avis location to warn that I'd be arriving later than planned (but same day). Asst mgr thanked me, said the rez had been noted.

Get to OGG, uneventful rental, drop off car paperlessly 3 weeks later. Get home and check the e-receipt next day - it was almost TWICE the price on my reservation!

Called Avis. First agent was rude, insisted I had CHANGED the reservation when I called OGG and that was the correct charge, "I have to put you on hold" and disconnected me! Second agent was better, but agreed that the rez showed that it had been REBOOKED when I called about my delay, ergo astronomical rate. I told story again, and she asked me to send the original rez (made March 2015). Thank heavens I had it, as well as the reconfirm 2 days before arrival.

Three days later - Avis email confirming my original rate. Two more days - LARGE refund to my credit card.

MORAL: 1. Keep those reservation emails until you have your final receipt. 2. Check your contract when you get it, to make sure you are being charged what you expect. (D'oh)
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you use the Avis website to change your arrival flight information, you can right then and there in front of you whether that's changing the rate or not. So I prefer to do it online, rather than on a voice call.

If you then fear they might not notice that change, it might be better to then call the Avis rental location where you're picking up the car, and alert them that you updated your arrival flight information, rather than calling Avis central.

But IMHO do the change online first, and only then call to point it out to whoever you want to point it out to. That way, on the call, they're not making a change to the reservation, just noticing what you already changed.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Moral: Don't leave any rental-car lot without checking your contract.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.....and check the price when you return the vehicle.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you use the Avis website to change your arrival flight information, you can right then and there in front of you whether that's changing the rate or not. So I prefer to do it online, rather than on a voice call.

If you then fear they might not notice that change, it might be better to then call the Avis rental location where you're picking up the car, and alert them that you updated your arrival flight information, rather than calling Avis central.

But IMHO do the change online first, and only then call to point it out to whoever you want to point it out to. That way, on the call, they're not making a change to the reservation, just noticing what you already changed.
My limited experience is that the website automatically re-calculates the contract if you invoke the "modify" function. In many cases, this *doesn't* change the rate, but for vacation-area rentals where short-notice rental rates are sky-high compared to 6-9 months out, a near-in change often will result in a massive increase (as here). Same problem if the location shows no more availability for your car class.

But you are right - at least you can see what's happening if you try it online, and if the change results in an increase, just reject the modification, stick with the original rez, and phone instead. (and then check your contract and receipt!)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lskohn
My limited experience is that the website automatically re-calculates the contract if you invoke the "modify" function. In many cases, this *doesn't* change the rate, but for vacation-area rentals where short-notice rental rates are sky-high compared to 6-9 months out, a near-in change often will result in a massive increase (as here). Same problem if the location shows no more availability for your car class.

But you are right - at least you can see what's happening if you try it online, and if the change results in an increase, just reject the modification, stick with the original rez, and phone instead. (and then check your contract and receipt!)
IIRC, there are different places to click "Modify". If you modify only the section that has the arriving airline info, you might avoid the re-calculation.

I know I did it once, but of course the Avis website keeps changing, so I'm not sure if what I did then is still possible now. (And I don't have in existing Avis reservation to experiment on right now.)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Has nothing to do with Avis. Always check the key contract provisions in the email confirmation, on the document at pickup and on the dropoff receipt.

The contract still permits post-dropoff modifications for damage and the like, but not for rate.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I once got burned at SAN where I arrived right on time but switched the credit card used to pay for the reservation at the counter upon arrival. A $150 rental became $600! I called Avis from the airport once I noticed; it took 6 weeks and two more phone calls but it got straightened out and a refund hit my credit card. Had I looked at my contract upon re-printing in SAN, I would've caught it immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.