Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Old May 25, 2016, 2:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by AlanA
[I wouldn't rent] any BMW, a company who destroyed thousands of British jobs and the family were heavily into the Nazi Party.
I wouldny wee on a BMW if it was on fire (again, personal preference)
Well... that escalated quickly. lol

Last edited by IAHtraveler; May 25, 2016 at 8:43 pm Reason: Moderator removed personal attack in quote
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Local stations are a crapshoot. Typically little selection, higher miles and few upgrades. However, you could get lucky & end up with something they need to send 1-way. Don't get your hopes up, though.
This is exactly what happened - they had a pickup they needed to get rid of, and I was happy to take it off their hands.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I had the same issue. But I didn't even get to the shuttle before I noticed. The return lot was empty when I arrived and I went back maybe 10 minutes after dropping off the car but it was being cleaned.

They told me they found the case but not the glasses Learned my lesson to always triple check.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
wrong thread
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:23 am

I've gotten higher mileage on cars in Miami than other places.

My last 2 rentals in FLL and MIA were 50k+ each.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:59 am

AVIS- Preferred - Class V in MIA

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but seemed like the best place! I've got a BA preferred booking for a minivan setup for August in MIA and was wondering if anyone has had experience or looked at the line (if they have one?!) to see what I might get.

I think the way preferred works is I get a car ready and waiting? But I can refuse if I don't like the look of it etc.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:36 am

Likely a Dodge Caravan? Those are OK. Maybe a Sienna.

You can refuse if you want, doesn't mean you're entitled to picking your own car.

My simple advise? Tour the lot and see if you see something you like before saying you want another car. Then go back to the preferred desk and ask nicely if you can get the one at XX Spot. If not, something similar.

Always works for me.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Avis Preferred, Hilton Honors Silver
Avis status : Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Premium
General timing : 8am Sat 2nd July

then

Avis status : Preferred
Car type/class reserved : Full-size SUV (Z class)
General timing : 9am Thurs 7th July
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:13 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Demonwar
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but seemed like the best place! I've got a BA preferred booking for a minivan setup for August in MIA and was wondering if anyone has had experience or looked at the line (if they have one?!) to see what I might get.

I think the way preferred works is I get a car ready and waiting? But I can refuse if I don't like the look of it etc.

Thanks in Advance.
I'd say most likely a Kia Sedona. You might find a Chrysler T&C still hanging around or the rare Sienna. Dodge/Chrysler is redoing their minivans and calling it the Chrysler Pacifica. They're just hitting dealers now, but hopefully Avis will have them as I'd like to try it sine it looks so different than any other minivan out there now.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:03 pm

Thanks guys, I'm impressed as well with the videos for the Chrysler Pacifica, can but hope for a try of that.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by bthobe
Loc: LIS
Date: Early July
Reserve: Small and cheap, Ie. VW Up! or Renault Clio

Just curious if I would get anything upgrade wise? Doesn't seem to be any info on this international location in any thread in terms of upgrades or friendliness towards Avis Preferred members.
if Prez club then I'd expect you would get at least a one-car class upgrade.
Even in some locations where they have a limited inventory (e.g. ZAG) I've always received my upgrade as a PP at the time
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:13 am

What would i get?

Anyone know what i might get?

Avis status : Preferred Plus
Car type/class reserved : Luxury
General timing : Sun, Jun, 18
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Any idea?

Avis status : Preferred Pluss
Car type/class reserved : Large
General timing : 10am Mon 1st August (Civic Day)
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I've actually never selected a different car than what I was assigned, but given that I wouldn't mind a larger size car this time, I'd appreciate suggestions as to what alternatives might be available for my reservation below:

Class reserved: Premium
Timing: 8/6 (Sat) 11 AM x4 days
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:15 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Bridgeman
Anyone know what i might get?

Avis status : Preferred Plus
Car type/class reserved : Luxury
General timing : Sun, Jun, 18
Most likely an MKZ or XTS. Might be able to sweet talk into something more fun like a small Infiniti or something, if they have it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.