Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to sign up for Preferred

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Forced to sign up for Preferred

Just rented a car from OAK this morning. When signing the various parts of the contract, one of the screens was that I was signing up for a new Preferred account. I declined as I already have one (intentionally didn't include it on this reservation). The rep helping me at the desk said I had to sign up or I could not rent the car. I reluctantly did because a) I had to get going and b) renting at another company on the spot would have cost significantly more.

Come to think of it the reason I have a Preferred account is from the last time I rented thru OAK. The manager at the time said my corporate rate code requires me to have one (it doesn't - only requires me to show my work ID). I've never had this problem at any other station.

Is this something new? Do these guys get a bonus for how many people they sign up? Something smells odd here. And yes, I'll be e-mailing Avis later today.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Out of curiosity, why would you not provide your preferred number for a reservation? Do you enjoy speaking with rental agency counter staff?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Out of curiosity, why would you not provide your preferred number for a reservation? Do you enjoy speaking with rental agency counter staff?
I wanted different insurance options from what is saved on my profile for this short notice rental and last time it took nearly 48 hours to change my preferences through my account.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Lost
I wanted different insurance options from what is saved on my profile for this short notice rental and last time it took nearly 48 hours to change my preferences through my account.
You can always just tell them at the counter to change your insurance for that rental, you don't need to change it in your profile.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat; Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
There is no bonus or any other incentive for signing you up for Preferred for the agent or the location if they are playing by the book. I have seen agents that are REALLY good and quick with the computer sign up folks for preferred (especially on longer rentals) generate the contract and once the customer leaves, void the contract and reopen them on the preferred wizard # so that it doesn't hurt their commission base.

Also, if you don't use your wizard # on your reservation, but the credit card used for the rental is the same as on your profile, your rental will be linked to your wizard # the second that card is swiped
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hec13
Also, if you don't use your wizard # on your reservation, but the credit card used for the rental is the same as on your profile, your rental will be linked to your wizard # the second that card is swiped
I was advised that the link to the Avis profile is based on the driver license number.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Finally got a response from Avis this morning. Basically said it should not happen and she'll forward my e-mail to management. Not expecting much to happen.

:-|

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.