AWD and the FFP field when booking a car at Avis

Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
AWD and the FFP field when booking a car at Avis

Dear FTers,

I'd like your input here, this is the situation:

There is an offer from SAS going on right now, for details please see here.

I'll be paying with their card, all I care about is the 4000 points. All I need to do is to put in SK's AWD when I book.

Do I have to put in my SK FFP too? What if I put in my Club Carlson card and then put in a CC coupon code MUHA021?

Is it possible to double dip (just curious)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

If you want SAS points, you need to put in your FF# (otherwise, how will they know which of their millions of account holders will get them?). If you want the bonus points, you need to use their coupon. Putting in your Carlson # will void any SAS points.

Avis system only allows 1 coupon. So you can either get bonus miles or use the secondary coupon, whatever that is for.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If you want SAS points, you need to put in your FF# (otherwise, how will they know which of their millions of account holders will get them?)"

From the terms and conditions of the offer:

"Only valid for Avis rentals paid with a SAS EuroBonus World MasterCard"

Presumably each individual SAS EuroBonus MasterCard is already associated with a particular EuroBonus account. So it might be possible for one to earn Club Carlson points from the rental itself, and the bonus points from charging the rental to the EuroBonus MasterCard. That's what the OP wants to know.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Presumably each individual SAS EuroBonus MasterCard is already associated with a particular EuroBonus account. So it might be possible for one to earn Club Carlson points from the rental itself, and the bonus points from charging the rental to the EuroBonus MasterCard. That's what the OP wants to know.
Thanks! That's what exactly I'm asking about.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any chance that a $30 off coupon like MUWA090 will be honored when using the SAS AWD for a car rental in the US?

I just found the coupon code on Google, so I'm probably not eligible to use it, but do they even care when I pick up the car? Any experience on using coupons like this would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Why would you use SAS AWD for rental in US? I use w300012 and it always score lower rate than SAS - unless you want the points of course.

I have tried using coupons like that and as long as you book it at avis.com and insert the coupon then you should be ok (you can even see if the coupon is applied). If you book it via avis.com then you'll only get 500 points per rental though.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thanks Nacho. I just tried the suggested AWD and the rate was just slightly lower than the SAS AWD rate. I have found other AWDs which are better, but I hesitate as I'm most likely not eligible to use them.

Anyway, the rates offered by the Eurobonus/SAS link

http://www.avisworld.com/avisonline/...eurobonus+home

are not bad at all. In fact, amoung the lowest I have found for my weekly rental in BOS/NYC. Will this be usual SAS AWD or some other (special) Eurobonus/SAS AWD when booking via this link?

The annoying part is that prices are qouted in DKK rather than USD which is a bit fishy as I will be charged in USD rather than DKK when I pick-up the car in BOS (what is the actual amount in USD?, what exchange rates have been applied? etc). In addition, it seems that you cannot add a coupon when you book via the Eurobonus/SAS link.

Returning to the subject of coupons. I have inserted the MUWA090 coupon and it has been accepted for my reservation made on avis.com, but does this mean that the agent in fact will apply it when I pick-up the car? (it needs to be applied manually because the current price does not reflect the $30 off coupon) Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you book through avisworld, then you can't insert the coupon.

You should be fine if it stated that it's accepted. You'll see in your contract when you pick your car. If you booked through avis.com the rate should be shown in USD - that's another reason why I prefer booking it via avis.com whenever I can (especially for US rentals). I saw mine applied when I picked up the car. Check your contract before you exit the gate.

Avis is known for their bad DCC practice (they took about 3-5%) - if you don't have preferred, then you can pick to be billed in USD. If you are preferred, make really sure that you pick local currency at your preferred profile. Previously I have been DCCed by avis several times - got a receipt upon return stating - "I was provided an option and I selected to be billed in my local currency". I was really mad when I saw it because NO ONE has ever given me that option.

I even talked to Avis about it and they said the only thing you could avoid it is by paying cash?!

Then I realised that the only way was to started another preferred profile and I did, after that I wasn't DCCed (I don't know whether it's because I put my AMEX into the profile).

There are also some awesome AWDs you can find in avis.com - last time I got a rate that is identical to w300012 (barclay's bank customer's code - used these tons of times and never been checked - I made sure that I have avis preferred so that I can just go and pick up the car). They are doing some sort of 25% off US and Canada promo all the time - just go to avis.com and check.

As long as you put in your EB # at the reservation, then you'll get your 500 pts.

If you are interested in club carlson points, you use your SK AWD and then put in the club carlson coupon for 8(9)250 points and put your CC # in the FFP field, if you get 9/10k (depending on whether you are renting 3/4 days) CC bonus points which could easily be worth more than $30. I have seen people on FT doing that with success.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.