Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Am I in the right?! (Price change without informing me)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:46 am
Original Poster

A couple of weeks ago I made a month long one way reservations from PIT to JFK price was $1100.

Since I would be arriving for pickup late at night last flight at 1:00 and counter closes 1:30am I decided to add my flight details to the reservation myself online 2 days ago, and since I wasn't able to add my wizard number I called them today and added it with an agent.

When I pick up car I see it priced at $1650

And that's all the agent had in computer. Looking back at my reservation when I modified it online 2 days ago to add flight number I got an email from Avis confirming original price, but then I saw an email from today right after I added the wizard number which prices it up to $1650

I was not informed on the phone that adding the wizard number would increase the price.

I'm planning on calling customer service in the morning but thought I would ask to know what to expect, am I in the right? Is there any reason they can deny my original price? Any ideas how to handle this?

The only reason I added the wizard was because I figured it would give me better chances they won't close on my if flight is slightly delayed as they did last time I took this flight 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Adding a Wizard number can change the price of a rental, as the AWD associated with the Wizard number replaces whatever AWD was associated with the original rental.

I have no idea if Avis will do anything for you, but I don't think that you are entitled to any refund in this case.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Wouldn't they be required to inform me of any price increase prior to applying the change in the reservation?

Just like when online a change is made to existing reservation prior to applying they show you all changes...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by ChikkyMonkey
Wouldn't they be required to inform me of any price increase prior to applying the change in the reservation?

Just like when online a change is made to existing reservation prior to applying they show you all changes...
I fully agree they *should* but I've never had them offer that information when I've called to modify a rental. I've always had to ask to confirm the new price.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton-Diamond AAvis-First National-EE
Have them price it out with your AWD removed and see If it goes back to your original price.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by evielamp
Have them price it out with your AWD removed and see If it goes back to your original price.
Too late to do that, as the rental start date has already passed. And with many AWDs the rate can vary, depending on exactly when you make the booking.

If the OP had entered his Wizard number a day or two after he made the original reservation, he might have gotten the same rate. But getting a new rate quote a day or two before the start of a rental (and that's effectively what happened when the OP added his Wizard number) will often result in a higher rate.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by ChikkyMonkey

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I fully agree they *should* but I've never had them offer that information when I've called to modify a rental. I've always had to ask to confirm the new price.

Adding a Wizard number does not seem to me to be a modification of a rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.