Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Policy on Additional Driver under 21

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Policy on Additional Driver under 21

So me and a few friends are going on vacation for spring break. We need to rent a car but unfortunately we are all 19-20 years old. If we pay the actual fee for this it goes from $140 to $300. So i have heard possibly someone over 25 could make the reservation and put me as an additional driver and then avoid the fee and just pay the additional driver fee. Is there any truth to this or does anyone have a cheaper way for us to do this? Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:13 am

Even secondary drivers are subject to the underage fee.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:52 am

HeHertz will waive the fee with free Gold Family, hertz.com/goldfamily. Maybe not under 21, though.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
HeHertz will waive the fee with free Gold Family, hertz.com/goldfamily. Maybe not under 21, though.
I will check it out, Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
In general with Avis, no drivers under 21 are allowed. Very limited exceptions to this rule include renting on a corporate rate that allows for it, and I believe under official military orders or as part of government duties.

Your best bet may be with Enterprise (I rented from them during college many times, but that was a LONG time ago).

Also be aware of the huge issue of liability. Even if you pay for all the insurance, if an ineligible driver gets into the accident, the renter on the paperwork is personally liable for all damages and loss of use (and since they weren't driving, their own insurance wouldn't cover the loss).
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I'd reccommend you shop around a bit - I remember getting a good young-persons rate in the past with Sixt, it was considerably cheaper than Hertz and Avis.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, TK*G, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, etc
Hertz will rent to you with no underage fee from age 20 using the USAA CDP of 77694.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.