Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVIS Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

AVIS Switzerland

I am planning to hire Avis car in zurich, switzerland in June, planning to drive to Germany, Austria and Czech Republic. I chatted online with Avis rep. She confirmed that I can drive to Germany and Czech Republic but want me to confirm with Avis Switzerland that I can drive to Austria. I emailed Avis Switzerland and received confirmation email saying they will respond soon. Now 8 days past, despite I emailed them 3 times asking for this question, no reply. Do I have to call them? thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:51 pm

Just ignore her. If she confirmed Czech Republic, then Austria won't be an issue at all.

Just remember to buy an Austrian highway sticker, if you want to drive on the highways there..
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

thanks a lot.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Depending on how long the rental is, you may want to consider renting in Germany, rather than Zurich. Avis in Germany is significantly cheaper than Switzerland, especially as far as premium cars are concerned. Might be worth considering the 1h train ride to Konstanz, or Lorrach (over the border from Basel airport).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
Depending on how long the rental is, you may want to consider renting in Germany, rather than Zurich. Avis in Germany is significantly cheaper than Switzerland, especially as far as premium cars are concerned. Might be worth the 2h train ride to Freiburg, or 3h ride to Stuttgart...
Or renting in France, at the Euro airport (which is a 15min train ride from Basel, which is 50min from Zurich by train..)

I've done so in the past, only problem is that they don't automatically have the Swiss highway sticker on their rentals there.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
Depending on how long the rental is, you may want to consider renting in Germany, rather than Zurich. Avis in Germany is significantly cheaper than Switzerland, especially as far as premium cars are concerned. Might be worth considering the 1h train ride to Konstanz, or Lorrach (over the border from Basel airport).
thanks. only for 9 days, I do not think it worth the effort.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mhm63
thanks. only for 9 days, I do not think it worth the effort.
For Premium cars, that could be well above 500€/CHF.

But obviously it's your choice. Just don't be shocked when you check Swiss car rental fares
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
For Premium cars, that could be well above 500€/CHF.

But obviously it's your choice. Just don't be shocked when you check Swiss car rental fares
Thanks a lot. I booked through Avis, I used coupon code, however I was worried that Avis might ask for my employee ID. It cost $400 for Avis after using coupon. I got an email yesterday from American Airline for Hertz promotion, so I also made an reservation with Hertz, it cost 462 swiss francs, so I guess it close to $500. I am thinking go to Avis desk first, if they ask me for my employee ID, I will go to Hertz. I also looked Orbitz, for the same car rental, it is around 340 swiss francs, however it is Thrifty. How bad is Thrifty?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:59 am

You've made multiple reservations? I'd check your quote small print, some European rates have "no show" fees attached.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Rented a few times at Avis ZRH airport, drove into Austria (had to buy a Vingette highway sticker right after crossing into Austria at a fuel/gas station), Germany, and Italy with no problems. The car had a CH (swiss) license plate as well.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
You've made multiple reservations? I'd check your quote small print, some European rates have "no show" fees attached.
They did not ask for Credit card, how could they charge me?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Insiderdude
Rented a few times at Avis ZRH airport, drove into Austria (had to buy a Vingette highway sticker right after crossing into Austria at a fuel/gas station), Germany, and Italy with no problems. The car had a CH (swiss) license plate as well.
Thanks a lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.