Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Returned a car to AMS with a full tank, still charged for fuel.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:26 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

Returned a car to AMS airport early November with a full tank of petrol. Had filled up 10km away from the airport.

Flew home and got my cc statement later showing that I was charged the full rate by Avis.

This is what I wrote to them:

When I queried during collection why the “estimate of rental charges” was higher than the contract, I was told that it was including prepaid fuel but I would not be charged that when I collected the car – it was however not stated as extra fuel on the estimate of rental charge but rather just VAT (which is included in my rental agreement).
When I returned the car with a full tank of fuel, I was again assured that my final charge was only €667.94 as per the contract and not as stated on the Estimate of rental charge.
I today received my credit card bill for €808.21. Please refund the balance.
They replied and asked for proof. I sent them the Fuel Station receipt. And then - nothing heard.

Here I am today, after 4 emails to AVIS NL with almost no communication. Took it up with Avis Singapore over a month ago and I got this:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your rental with Avis.

First of all I am very sorry for the extreme long handling time.

I want to inform you at we have asked AVIS NL to refund you the amount 140.16 EUR. The request was sent the 27th of january and they have 10 days to answer.

If they not answer until the 6th, I will start a chargeback process.

I ask your for your patience until that.
Of course nothing happened and I had to chase it up again. And then this came:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your rental with Avis.

I ask for more patience.

We are working on this case with AVIS Netherlands.

As soon we ahve done the refund I will write to you.

Are these guys completely incompetent?
What irks me is that they should have in their own accounts an entry of fuel being purchased HAD they filled up the car themselves (unless of course some employee siphoned off the fuel - not unheard off in my part of the world).

Is there ANY way for me to escalate this?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't most big rental car places have their own fuel pumps so that no purchase of fuel would be recorded when they refuel a vehicle? It's not like they usually drive the car to a local gas station to fill up.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:47 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:47 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:50 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Even with their own pump they would have some fleet management system to account for fuel sold. Otherwise you'd have many happy rental car employees
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
I have had so many similar issues with Avis. If they charge my card in error I usually contact them and give them one opportunity to resolve. If they insist on putting me in their usual spiralling holding patterns I will call my card company and get the money back myself. All credit card companies have procedures in place for unauthorised transactions, and that is what this is - unauthorised. It is then up to Avis to work hard to claim the money back from me if they believe it is justified, not for me to work hard to rightfully get my own money back.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Even with their own pump they would have some fleet management system to account for fuel sold. Otherwise you'd have many happy rental car employees
Hard to say, I left the airport location and saw I had 1/4 of a tank and the car was muddy on the exterior, told the guy at the desk and he had me drive over to the onsite facility where I filled the tank and washed it. A less honest person might just do that every time he returned a car there
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your country of residence or CC issuer, by policy, permits you to dispute via chargeback, I would try one call/email, wait 3 business days and dispute the additional charge. Head off the. Simply note that your returned the tank full and offer a copy of the receipt.

You will usually win these and spend little time doing so
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Reply came yesterday following my rather firm email a week ago.
AVIS NL has yesterday refunded the amount and I will be mailed 4x€25 vouchers for my troubles.
I didn't like the up and downs; I don't mind the vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.