Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Says Bye Bye to United

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Avis Says Bye Bye to United

People on the UA board are saying that Avis has announced that no more MileagePlus credits for reservations booked on or after 1 November 2014. National did the same thing since UA is choosing Hertz as the exclusive partner.

Avis: http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...1&category=Air and select United. It says:
Beginning November 1, 2014, Avis will no longer participate in the United MileagePlus frequent flyer program (MileagePlus Award Miles). Reservations booked prior to November 1, 2014, with scheduled vehicle pick-up dates through 10/31/2015, will earn United MileagePlus Award miles. New reservations booked on or after November 1, 2014 will not earn United MileagePlus Award miles.
No longer on UA's website: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...lPartners.aspx

Last edited by username; Nov 2, 2014 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Time to think

With no potential to earn either UA Miles or Marriott Points, I'll have to consider Avis on "merit"
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:21 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I get the sense a more appropriate title is "United says bye bye to Avis" rather than the other way around.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Scottrick
I get the sense a more appropriate title is "United says bye bye to Avis" rather than the other way around.
Highly unlikely; United will sell miles to anyone corporation that wants to buy them and distribute however they wish. Mileage programs are often the most lucrative part of an airline, so I don't see them stopping Avis from buying miles.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
I would suspect the new exclusive agreement they signed with Hertz included the stipulation that they wouldn't sell miles to other agencies. I could not speculate what the terms were that were accordingly favorable for united, but you can bet it was.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
United had partnerships with other rental car companies? Who knew?!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Welp, guess I better get cracking to get status link to Hertz, don't think I've ever used em!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
That Makes Two of Us!

I said "bye bye" to United in 2013. Don't miss UA one bit!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
Sixt still took my mileage plus number...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by WaxComb
Sixt still took my mileage plus number...
I'd take you MP number too, that doesn't mean that I'll give you any miles.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Don't you have to pay extra to get miles on an Avis rental? I haven't gotten air miles in years as It didn't seem worth any extra cost. Maybe just the deal with our corporate contract...not sure.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike1968
Don't you have to pay extra to get miles on an Avis rental? I haven't gotten air miles in years as It didn't seem worth any extra cost. Maybe just the deal with our corporate contract...not sure.
Maybe, maybe not. First, earning miles may be incompatible with certain corportate AWDs. Second, depending on the airline and on how Avis feels that day, you may or may not get charged a small FFP fee.

Since all my rentals are personal, and I'm happy enough with the discounts that airline AWDs provide, and since for me they seem to rarely charge that fee (and it's a tiny fee, compare to the thousands of miles I earn per rental*, even if they do charge it), it doesn't cost more (or enough more that I would notice).

* I never earn just the default of 50 miles per day. I always "follow the promos", and credit to whichever of the (many) airline or hotel programs I belong to that has the best bonus at the moment. You can see those bonuses here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...motions-5.html

So I'm typically earning at least 500 miles for a 1-day rental and at least a couple thousand miles (or many thousands of hotel points) on rentals between 2 days and 2 weeks.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Alamo didn't accept my UA MP # for a reservation yesterday in Cleveland....not sure if it's related or just a fluke
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:13 pm

Silly United. I stay in hotels and rent cars a lot, but not with Marriott or Hertz. Guess United wants me to take my air travel business elsewhere.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:46 am

I usually find better rates booking directly through rental companies, including Avis, using my USAA discount code, and, besides, I earned so few miles when booking through airines (usually AA), that it never was a big factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.