Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4+ month Rental Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb 4+ month Rental Strategies

I have a 4 month plus rental coming up for business and I am looking to get the most out of the Rental Car during my time with it and I am looking for strategies to use to haggle. Hertz is my first choice because of their reward programs, Avis my second because of the same, and the Enterprise locations in my area are so well run and have such good vehicles that it borders on the paranormal.

In your experience who is the best to dicker with corporate or the local manager? Will they respond with better offers and try to one up each other or are there RULES that keep this from happening?

I've rented a lot from all three but travel did all the arrangements at my previous employer so unlike with hotels, which I have played off each other, I have little experience with the car rental folks.

thanks
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:36 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

A few comments on this:

1. Be sure you're covered under your insurance policy for rentals of this length. Most credit cards don't carry coverage for those >30 days ("mini leases")

2. If you can avoid pick-up at an airport, it's best as it should eliminate many of the bogus fees/taxes

3. It doesn't hurt to try to dicker with a local manager. I doubt a corporate person would help. There aren't rules that prevent this (that I'm aware of). However, they would most likely be reluctant to let a very nice car go for a low price/day (or week or month) for such a long time. This prevents them from using the nice car for upsells/short expensive rentals for a very long period.

4. Look to break this up into weekly/30-day rentals. Might be able to get better pricing that way.

Good luck!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:40 pm

Get a new car every week on a new contract, and use MUGA050 for $40 off on each weekly rate. See which gets you the best rate:

USAA - A177232
Deloitte (my fav) - A442100
Citicorp - A074800
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:01 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by jadamczyk22
Get a new car every week on a new contract, and use MUGA050 for $40 off on each weekly rate. See which gets you the best rate:

USAA - A177232
Deloitte (my fav) - A442100
Citicorp - A074800
Be cautious about using rates you don't qualify for (unless you work for Deloitte/Citicorp/etc). Most times people don't report having any issues. However, if you have an accident or something out of the ordinary with the vehicle, they could do a number of things: put you on the DNR list, try to recoup charges, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Be cautious about using rates you don't qualify for (unless you work for Deloitte/Citicorp/etc). Most times people don't report having any issues. However, if you have an accident or something out of the ordinary with the vehicle, they could do a number of things: put you on the DNR list, try to recoup charges, etc.
I guess you're right in the case of an incident, but my local Avis asked me who I worked for and I said self employed and they don't care what AWD I use.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:30 pm

I guess you're right in the case of an incident, but my local Avis asked me who I worked for and I said self employed and they don't care what AWD I use.
My company has a fantastic AWD that I use legitimately and I've never been asked about it at all. YMMV as always, but it's always surprised me that it's never once come up.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

my local Avis asked me who I worked for and I said self employed and they don't care what AWD I use.
Yes they do. Read the rental agreement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.