Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 4aks
Links to new program info:
http://www.avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points
avis.com/car-rental/content/avisPref-Program.ac?pageName=avisPref-Points

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf
avis.com/car-rental/html/global/en/terms/US/PrefMbrGlobalTermsMiddle.pdf

Calendar year 2015 rentals count towards status (12 rentals = preferred plus; 25 rentals = PC )

Rentals begun July 1st earn points

Redemption of points is unknown and dynamic
Data points:
July 2015 - 3 day Minivan rental, adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 316 points. Adding Sirius (6.99/day) was 200 points
July 2015 - 4 day full size mid week - adding GPS ($9.99/day) requires 332 points
July 2015 - 1 day (full size?) in Seattle - 2400 points for one free day
Aug 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points (vs $18 base cost)
Sep 2015 - Weekday, Boston Back Bay, 1d6h rental - 4600 points (vs. $85 full size)
Oct 2015 - weekend day at SAN, intermediate - 600 points / jumped to 1330 points all month, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend day ORD - 950 points
Nov 2015 - Weekend day IAH - 1800 points (1 day)
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 950 pts, many vehicle types
Nov 2015 - weekend SAN - 1330 pts, many vehicle types (points devalued the closer to the rental period)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Avis First Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
I guess this probably also implies the new program is somewhat delayed?
I would hope so. It never made sense to me why they would change it in November, when the Avis First year ends and restarts at the turn of the year. It would make a lot more sense to have a clean year end with Avis First and on Jan 1 start the new program, instead of switching programs so near the end of the year.

I am confused as to what status I will be, because they haven't explained if the status qualifications will change, and meanwhile I won't qualify for Avis First until the last days of December (after a week-long Christmastime rental). It seems much simpler therefore, since Avis First status qualification went Jan 1 - Dec 31, to keep Avis First going through Dec 31.

Of course, I don't know if they realized this, or just ran into problems they didn't anticipate and are delaying for some other reason.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I would hope so. It never made sense to me why they would change it in November, when the Avis First year ends and restarts at the turn of the year. It would make a lot more sense to have a clean year end with Avis First and on Jan 1 start the new program, instead of switching programs so near the end of the year.
Regardless, they drastically reduced the benefits of the existing program (by making change to the expiration date) half way into the year. It just shows how little Avis respects and cares about its customers and how stupid they are in earning trust and loyalty of its customers.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
No more United MP point earning?

Got a card on November 17th that tells me "Beginning November 1, 2014, you will no longer be able to earn United Milage Plus award miles when renting with Avis."
Is this reported somewhere in this thread (I di not see it) or somewhere else?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
Got a card on November 17th that tells me "Beginning November 1, 2014, you will no longer be able to earn United Milage Plus award miles when renting with Avis."
Is this reported somewhere in this thread (I di not see it)
Of course not. This is a thread specifically about Avis First changes. (In case you're not aware, Avis First is an "elite" program with Avis, which you have to rent a lot to qualify for.) What partners Avis has in general has nothing to do specifically with Avis First, since in fact earning with parnters disqualified you from earning free rental day certs from Avis First.

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
or somewhere else?
Yes. Halfway down the first page of this forum you'll find:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...ye-united.html
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Of course not. This is a thread specifically about Avis First changes. (In case you're not aware, Avis First is an "elite" program with Avis, which you have to rent a lot to qualify for.) What partners Avis has in general has nothing to do specifically with Avis First, since in fact earning with parnters disqualified you from earning free rental day certs from Avis First.

Yes. Halfway down the first page of this forum you'll find:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...ye-united.html
Thanks. I am an Avis First which is why I was actually already subscribed to this this thread. Somewhere in searching the forum I ended up back on this one which seemed to have posts closely related when I posted. Apologies. And thanks for replying!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the year is almost finished. Still no news on the new program? This has got to be the most incompetent and customer-unfriendly loyalty program change in the travel industry for a long time.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Got email just now - it's been delayed.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
A few days ago I redeemed a 2 day rental coupon with an expiration date of Jan 15...I was told that despite that date, the coupon would work until the end of Feb 2015. I guess that is due to the delay?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Avis should not have changed to the shortened expiration in the first place. It was not good to shortchange the most frequent customers on the benefits they already earned.

Then the whole some expire 1/15 , some expire 2/28 was just crazy.

Now, the good news. I just looked on my AvisFirst, it seems that they changed them to the original 6-month expiration dates! Finally they did the right thing ^
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:17 am

Got an exciting email from Avis that they are changing to their "new" program WITHOUT telling any of the details.... what a waste of email and my time reading it....
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I just received a new free weekend coupon with expiration date of 6/30/2015. The one coupon I had with an expiration date of 1/15/2015 now has an expiration date of 1/30/2015.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Preferred benefits ?

There seem to be some differences between the North American program and the European program.

This is what the european websites have: https://secure.avis-europe.com/asset...enefits_UK.pdf
I called Avis customer service (Europe) and they told me benefits should apply worldwide.

Yet it seems that the N American program is not exactly the same - with the addition of "Avis First", a requirement for local residency (N America) and different qualification criteria...

D.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dand99
There seem to be some differences between the North American program and the European program.

This is what the european websites have: https://secure.avis-europe.com/asset...enefits_UK.pdf
I called Avis customer service (Europe) and they told me benefits should apply worldwide.

Yet it seems that the N American program is not exactly the same - with the addition of "Avis First", a requirement for local residency (N America) and different qualification criteria...

D.
When this thing first came out, I did some research and found the European Avis already had an Preferred Plus. So, I am pretty sure this is not the upcoming one. The new one will involve point accumulation of some sort. A new system is probably needed and probably is the reason for the botched rollout.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
When this thing first came out, I did some research and found the European Avis already had an Preferred Plus. So, I am pretty sure this is not the upcoming one. The new one will involve point accumulation of some sort. A new system is probably needed and probably is the reason for the botched rollout.
In other words, the new system does not seem to be about synchronizing with European Avis. It seem more like "we try (to copy Hertz) harder".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nichojo
Got email just now - it's been delayed.
I still did not get any official statement about this. What did the e-mail you got say?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.