Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Recall on rental car. Must drive 1 hour each way. Suggestions?

Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

My wife is currently renting an Avis car and received a call today from Avis insisting that she drive 1 hour each way to the nearest rental facility to exchange her rental car. Her current car is being recalled. She asked for them to drive to her and exchange cars but they said that they weren't equipped to do so.

Originally she was scheduled to return the car on Sunday but now she needs to extend the rental until Tuesday. Avis normally would change the return date without a hassle. However, because of the recall, they said that they would not extend the return date unless she drives the 1 hour each way to return the car.

Finally, they want to charge her an additional $100 for the 2 day extension.

I don't know if she should ask Avis for any compensation for driving 1 hour each way to exchange cars or for a discount on the 2 day extension.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
You could always ask for a break in the rate, tho normally have them two way a new car to me in the past while driving a recall vehicle.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd check how much a new rental would be versus the extortionate $100 penalty. Unfortunately, with her wish to extend, they have her over a barrel WRT the fee.

Wonder what would happen if she told them she didn't feel safe driving a recalled car all that distance and hinted about "penalties" Avis might be subject to.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I have no idea if Avis would agree to this or if this would work for her schedule, but can she try to find a nearby dealership to fix the car? If it's a recall, they should fix it for free.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat; Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Avis' computer system is programmed to not allow any extensions of a rental where the car is in a recall status in the computer. Even if you fixed the recall at a local dealership, Avis has no record of it on their systems, so the car will remain in safety recall status on their computer system. Standard procedure in this case is to allow the customer to return the car at the scheduled return date if the customer doesn't want to drive the car back. You could always call the roadside assistance folks and tell them you don't feel safe driving the car, or that theres something wrong mechanically with it ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.