Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Disparity in estimated charges at reservation & at pickup

Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Please pardon my ignorance as I almost never rent cars. This is my first time with Avis. I used the USAA AWD to avoid the underage fee (I'm 22):

Yet upon picking up the car:

I did pick up a half hour earlier than reserved -- is that the issue? Even then the difference is substantial. What is going on? Any suggestions?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:31 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Since it's now over 2 days (picking up before noon, returning at noon), all the additional items will be 3 days (including the ALI and under 25 fee). On the new contract, it shows "Under 25 fee appl". Might need to argue to get this removed as this is $75. Also, return by 11:28am and keep it within 2 days, if possible.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club, Priority Club
Based on the picture Avis thinks you booked using AMEX Travel AWD and not USAA. That is why the underage fee applies (I assume).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by szymon
Based on the picture Avis thinks you booked using AMEX Travel AWD and not USAA. That is why the underage fee applies (I assume).
+1 I would assume your preferred profile override your USAA code. Just let the agent know of that on pick up and they will honor your reservation.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sz2628
+1 I would assume your preferred profile override your USAA code. Just let the agent know of that on pick up and they will honor your reservation.
Ah, thanks. I signed up for Preferred through AMEX, and I'm sure I changed the AWD to USAA's code when booking, but I guess I'll let them know when I drop off the car.

Also - just noticed it apparently costs $0.75/day to have a United MP number? Can I ask them to take this off?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"just noticed it apparently costs $0.75/day to have a United MP number? Can I ask them to take this off?"

You can ask, but why should they? Avis charges when renters opt to credit rentals to domestic FFPs (presumably to offset the federal excise tax which Avis has to pay for those miles). Want to avoid the fee? Credit the rental to a foreign FFP, like BA or Virgin Atlantic.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:15 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"just noticed it apparently costs $0.75/day to have a United MP number? Can I ask them to take this off?"

You can ask, but why should they? Avis charges when renters opt to credit rentals to domestic FFPs (presumably to offset the federal excise tax which Avis has to pay for those miles). Want to avoid the fee? Credit the rental to a foreign FFP, like BA or Virgin Atlantic.
Or to a hotel plan. They will allow you to do this at the return. When you get to the return agent (if there's an agent in the lot outside), tell them you need to go in to return the car.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Just returned the car. Went to an agent who changed the AWD and credited miles to BA. Final price $158. Can't thank you all enough. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.