Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don`t break down in the mountains

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Don`t break down in the mountains

June just gone picked car up in Kuala Lumpur City (Honda Civic with 207.000 KMs on clock) yes I know I should have complained but I didn't it seemed ok a bit worn inside. Set off on trip to Cameron Highlands in the highlands the car started to overheat let it cool down as were not near any where, did it again tried to ring the breakdown service on mobile number not available, reached a hotel at 11.45 am and they rang the breakdown service for me, (checked the water all ok something else then) told them the problem said they would ring back in ten minutes to let me know what they were going to do after one hour no phone call so rang back to them no answer. So to cut a long story short I made 10 phone calls to various Avis people the original one the car came from and the head office, eventually got the message they were sending another car this was at 14.15. Waited till 17.00 no car, rang back and were told they would not get there till tomorrow as we were in the mountains!! you can imagine what I thought so told them I was going to take the car back to our hotel approx. 200KMs away and they could collect it when they liked. Luckily the car did not overheat all downhill and they brought another car (Honda Civic with 140,000KMs) the next day.
Not a happy chappie they did refund my fuel $AU40
Don't break down in the mountains.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Don't accept a car with 207k kilometers on it.

Sorry, mate, that is a junker no matter how ya look at it!

Glad you made it back safely.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Don't accept a car with 207k kilometers on it.

Sorry, mate, that is a junker no matter how ya look at it!

Glad you made it back safely.
One of our cars is a 2000 Honda with ~285K Km on it. Runs great. I do regular maintenance and beat on it a bit, just like any rental car is subjected to.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
One of our cars is a 2000 Honda with ~285K Km on it. Runs great. I do regular maintenance and beat on it a bit, just like any rental car is subjected to.
On the other hand, I know several people who rent cars locally when doing extra wear and tear trips (worn-out mountain roads, unpaved roads, etc), and use their own cars only for everyday use around town. So I would not assume that rental cars are subjected to no more "beating" than my own car is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.