Premium at Lax

Old May 27, 2014, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred
Premium at Lax

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm visiting the US at the end of July (coming in on a Monday afternoon) for a tour around California and Arizona (LA, Palm Springs, Route 66, GCNP, Monument Valley, Tucson, San Diego and back to LA) and driving around 1800 over 16 days.

I booked a package through BA/Avis, and specified the Premium class after reading through the options on this forum for a couple of reasons, but mainly to give me the opportunity to drive a 'typical' large American motor vehicle. Might sound strange, but there is something romantic and idealised about driving a Buick/Chrysler/Lincoln/Dodge around the west coast etc.

So the questions are: What is likely to be available at Lax on a Monday afternoon on the 21st July, and out of those that are; what would be the best choice?

The list here includes Chrysler 300, Buick Lacrosse, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and Lincoln MKZ of what i would call American cars (i can drive a Kia, Toyota or VW in the UK).

The Challenger would be the most 'iconic', and maybe fun, in my eyes, but maybe not so well specified, and probably not likely to be available?

And which out of the Lincoln/Buick or Chrysler would be the most comfortable, luxurious for a near 2000 mile trip on the various highways i'll be travelling on? And which of those would be most likely at LAX?

Finally, i've used Avis before in the UK, but not as a member. I've signed up as a preferred member, and gather that this will enable me to use the Select and Go at LAX. I'm going to email Avis UK and see if i can pop to a nearby location to register my card and driving licence, and hopefully be able to avoid the desk at LAX when i get there - has anyone else done this before visiting a foreign destination? Is it likely they'll answer in the affirmative?

Thanks ever so much for any help you can provide, i've very much enjoyed reading the forums over the last few months, and also following carrenting.com for the reviews. Keep up the good work!

Ben
Old May 27, 2014, 7:53 am

Speaking as someone who drove a Camaro as the first car, I would much rather drive around in a Camry or Passat for 18 days across the country.

If you want to drive an oversized muscle car, rent it for a day or so in LA to get it out of your system, then drive something that is comfortable and fuel efficient for the rest of your stay.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Speaking as someone who drove a Camaro as the first car, I would much rather drive around in a Camry or Passat for 18 days across the country.

If you want to drive an oversized muscle car, rent it for a day or so in LA to get it out of your system, then drive something that is comfortable and fuel efficient for the rest of your stay.
Nothing in the Premium class is an oversized muscle car...
Old May 27, 2014, 12:43 pm

The Charger and the Challenger as called out by OP?
Old May 27, 2014, 1:12 pm

The Charger and the Challenger as called out by OP?
If you consider something with a V6 and 8 speed automatic a muscle car I suppose I've also never seen a Charger in the premium class (I've always seen it marked full size) and I've never seen an Avis Challenger. More than likely he'll get a Taurus or 300. I've gotten 30 mpg highway out of a 300 quite easily.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

So I gather the options are more likely to be a Taurus or Chrysler 300?

Hopefully there'll be the Chrysler available then.

Fuel economy isn't really of paramount importance, I'm more interested in the ride than the cost.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oneear
So I gather the options are more likely to be a Taurus or Chrysler 300?

Hopefully there'll be the Chrysler available then.

Fuel economy isn't really of paramount importance, I'm more interested in the ride than the cost.
Generally, or a VW CC perhaps. The 300 is a comfortable cruiser, though generally Avis' Taurus are highly optioned so you may enjoy that as well.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I've read that about the Taurus being well specified - but as i say, I've been driving big Fords for 20yrs, and likewise with Volkswagen.

Something stereotypically American would be my preferred choice, hence wondering which of the Buick/Dodge/Lincoln/Chrysler vehicles were more likely.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Buick LaCrosse is a good highway cruiser. Look for the V-6 engine, not the 4-cylinder mild hybrid. (Really - open the hood to check.)

The Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 are from the same platform and share powertrains. The available options can change the character a bit but Avis probably won't spend much in options. A V-6 Charger has nothing on a V-6 300; take the latter every time.

The new Chevrolet Impala (again, look for the V-6 vs. a base 4) is very good, with lots of room (better packaging than LaCrosse or Ford Taurus) and a very quiet & controlled ride.

A Ford Taurus in Limited trim is competent and classically American but a little bit dated in this group.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I would much rather drive around in a Camry or Passat for 18 days across the country.

THIS. To everyone on this board! The Camaro/Challenger/etc are great for a day to spin around in. But for any amount of miles, they are very uncomfortable IMO.

Originally Posted by mittencuh
I've never seen an Avis Challenger.
They have plenty. Maybe not as many as 2 years ago, but they have them. I think they're specialty.

Originally Posted by mittencuh
Generally, or a VW CC perhaps. The 300 is a comfortable cruiser, though generally Avis' Taurus are highly optioned so you may enjoy that as well.
I'd agree that a 300/Taurus with options would be a safe bet for a long drive. The Buick was underwhelming to me and seats weren't thrilling, but maybe you'll feel otherwise. Instead of an MKZ, I would go for a Titanium Fusion (if they have one on the lot). Same basic car, but the Fusion should have lane-departure system and lots of other toys that the Linc won't (Avis' MKZs are very basic since Ford has been doing well at selling the high end ones to non-fleets).
Old May 27, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
The 300C has a small trunk compared to other full size cars just an FYI
Old May 27, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by kxc262
The 300C has a small trunk compared to other full size cars just an FYI
I would still take the 300C over all other options. The "C" has Navigation built-in, which will be very useful for all your driving.

While the 300C doesn't handle that well (nor do any of the cars in this class for the most part), it will have leather and many of the bells and whistles, and is the car I typically gravitate to.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
As mentioned upthread, the 2014 Impala is Chevy's new "big boat" car, and it's quite a good ride (but make sure you get one with the 3.6 V6... listed as 0-60mph in 6.8 seconds. The I-4 was a big sluggish in such a large car). Performs surprisingly well, though a touch mild-mannered. It's seriously my new favorite full/premium class vehicle.

I've also gotten uplevel Chargers, which are ok. The 300C definitely is a better car overall than its cousin, but I think the Ford Taurus beats the Chrysler offerings.

Something to consider... even though you booked into a premium, Avis will allow you to upgrade for a nominal upcharge (usually cheaper than if you just booked directly into a higher class). If you don't mind cost, I would recommend a Cadillac XTS as a nice American road yacht (I don't much prefer Ford products, which Lincolns are).

Personally, if you want a real American driving experience, I would opt for a Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL (LTZ/Denali trims respectively for the top-level features). Nothing like 2.5 tons of metal rumbling down the freeway, driven by a V-8, just to haul you and some luggage around. Lots of room the spread out. Better yet... I've seen Chevy Silverados (full-size pickup trucks) starting to appear on the lot.

At LAX outside of the Preferred booth (shuttle bus drops you off in front), there will be an "Exchange" aisle of cars (on the other side of the bus) where you can just pick any car parked there, though most of the time those are of the Intermediate class and up. There will also be an "Upgrade" area. Also feel free to walk the lot and note the stall number of any car that you may want to switch into.

Finally, some random words of advice for your trip:
- Get a lighter color car... the Arizona heat will bake you in a dark car.
- Get a lighter color interior for the same reason as above... but this may be more limited.
- Get a car with remote start, so you can cool down your cabin before getting in (FYI the XTS and Suburban/Yukon have cooling seats).
- Get a car with XM activated, so you have uninterrupted audio stations on your trek.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
They have plenty. Maybe not as many as 2 years ago, but they have them. I think they're specialty.

Yes, they are. It's in the same class as the Camaro V8 and the Charger RT
Old May 29, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

You've convinced me to leave the Dodge's alone, so we'll see what's available! The XTS looks the business, depending on how much extra it might be - otherwise the 300 or the LaCrosse are ticking boxes.

Great advice folks, thank you all very much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.