Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chairman's a good deal at $1,100?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Question Chairman's a good deal at $1,100?

Daily Getaways, through the U.S. Travel Association is offering a annual Chairman's membership for $1,115. I know little about the Avis program (have most experience with National) and wonder if this is something worthwhile?

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Calendar.aspx?week=3
Old May 15, 2014, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Have a search... This comes up every year at this time when this deal comes up. Honestly, though, it really depends on your travel/needs/desires/budget. If you travel 5 days every week, that pegs the CHM at $22/week or <$5 a day (45 weeks since vacation/others might prevent every single week rentals). Def worth it in that case, in my opinion. If you rent 1x a month, def a waste IMO.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Daily Getaways, through the U.S. Travel Association is offering a annual Chairman's membership for $1,115. I know little about the Avis program (have most experience with National) and wonder if this is something worthwhile?

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Calendar.aspx?week=3
From last year http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-...embership.html
Old May 27, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I've been contemplating to buy the Chariman's Club membership. But I also wonder what will be considered as "best cars" in LAX, LAS and ORD (the airports I frequent the most). Can someone on this forum shed some light on it?
Old May 27, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan
I've been contemplating to buy the Chariman's Club membership. But I also wonder what will be considered as "best cars" in LAX, LAS and ORD (the airports I frequent the most). Can someone on this forum shed some light on it?
I can't comment on LAX, but at LAS & ORD, I've been given the choice of the lot. Common vehicles I've received at those are similar to other large airports: 5 Series, Infiniti G/M (or whatever they're called now), Lincolns. I once had a Navigator at ORD. There was a run-on MKTs in ORD for a while, but thankfully those days seem to be over.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I can't comment on LAX, but at LAS & ORD, I've been given the choice of the lot. Common vehicles I've received at those are similar to other large airports: 5 Series, Infiniti G/M (or whatever they're called now), Lincolns. I once had a Navigator at ORD. There was a run-on MKTs in ORD for a while, but thankfully those days seem to be over.
LAX is stockpiled with Lincolns. I am almost always assigned a Lincoln, and have to talk my way into a Caddy or BMW. Never been able to get an Infiniti, don't know if they have them.

David
Old May 28, 2014, 5:38 pm

Even if I required my employees to use Avis and used them exclusively myself, I can't imagine me qualifying for CHM given some of the people who haven't gotten invites. I will soon be renting often enough that I would derive a huge benefit from the status, though. It seems awfully pricey, but I've paid quite a lot before to save me time - my most precious resource by far...

Is this the only method of purchasing the status? We have a pilot in the fold, I don't imagine we'd be able to make NetJets worth our while just to get me car rental perks =P
Old May 28, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
It seems awfully pricey, but I've paid quite a lot before to save me time - my most precious resource by far...
As always, Time = Money. Look at how often you might be able to:
1. Get an earlier flight because the "chauffeur" took you right to your airport departure door instead of taking the bus/train back to a general area.
2. Stay in your meeting 15 minutes longer and still catch your flight.
3. Have a car dropped off to you instead of trying to get a taxi/ride to the airport to get your car.

Not sure if all of these apply for you, but if time is your most precious resource too, the true value can add up quickly instead of just the upgrades.

Originally Posted by synergistic
Is this the only method of purchasing the status?
As far as I've seen, this is the only "public/honest" way of purchasing the status. The only other way I could think would be to bribe an Avis executive to get you the status... but that might lead to bigger issues
Old May 28, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
This might be something I would consider seeing that I spent this money every week on rentals.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Actual cost of membership runs ~$1,000 factoring 10% discount for using an American Express card for payment
Old May 29, 2014, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
...<snipped>...

Not sure if all of these apply for you, but if time is your most precious resource too, the true value can add up quickly instead of just the upgrades.

...<snipped>...

As far as I've seen, this is the only "public/honest" way of purchasing the status. The only other way I could think would be to bribe an Avis executive to get you the status... but that might lead to bigger issues
LOL, I have nothing against seeking out a "private" purchase, but I'd prefer to stay more or less on the guilt free side of "honest." I usually convince people to give me what I want by coming up with a version of the request that's mutually beneficial - I can't really see anything I could offer that would really interest an Avis exec. I've got some time to decide...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
So did anyone buy into this? I just checked at 1 pm and I think it sold out basically immediately.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
So did anyone buy into this? I just checked at 1 pm and I think it sold out basically immediately.
I was surprised at how fast they went - glad I was on the ball for once =P

I was about 30 seconds late, and got a message saying they were all on hold by people entering their CC info, but that I could try again in case anyone backed out. I clicked to try again a few times, and then it let me have one - I called it a sign and went ahead and got it.

Seriously considering not replacing my car, which I'm about to sell... I feel like the membership is worth my while even just for travel, but I think it'd be nice to spend a year in cars I could never bring myself to purchase - if they keep up the promos I'd even come out ahead dollars wise.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
I click it almost immediately but no chance whatsoever, kept pressing try again
for a couple of minutes and finally gave up and get back to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.