Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 day car rental $990?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

4 day car rental $990?

So I just tried to book a car (full size) on June 27th Pick up 1:30am Calgary YYC (landing at 1am, domestic flight) and dropoff June 30th 9pm at Vancouver YVR, and I'm being quoted $990CAD after taxes with all fees included.

Seems ridiculous to me for the price. Is this common for this time of year? Any suggestions on how to get it down to a more reasonable price?

Budget seems to be sold out, and Hertz I got quoted $1100!

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's a one-way dropped off a long way away. Expect to pay a mileage charge, a drop off fee, or a very high inclusive daily rate. Unless some agency thinks it needs to move a lot of cars from YYC to YVR in a hurry and establishes a promo, this is unlikely to be cheap. You did your comparison and Avis is competitive with Hertz.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYC is often relatively short on cards, and now you're "stealing" one away from them (as they have no easy way to get it back from YVR), making them all the shorter on cards after you take it away.

They'll have high costs bringing the car back (or getting a replacement car from somewhere else), so why shouldn't they charge you an arm and a leg for that?

But to make sure it's that, what's the rate you get if you pretend you're going to return it to YYC instead of dropping it at YVR (but you otherwise keep everything the same)?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
YYC is often relatively short on cards, and now you're "stealing" one away from them (as they have no easy way to get it back from YVR), making them all the shorter on cards after you take it away.

They'll have high costs bringing the car back (or getting a replacement car from somewhere else), so why shouldn't they charge you an arm and a leg for that?

But to make sure it's that, what's the rate you get if you pretend you're going to return it to YYC instead of dropping it at YVR (but you otherwise keep everything the same)?
Makes sense, wanted to make sure my rate was reasonable for what I was doing. Thanks.

I'm seeing $480 for the same pickup time/drop off, except the location would be YYC in both instances (vs YVR for dropoff for my $990 rate).

Edit 2: Also checked picking up from YVR and dropping off at YYC instead. Only $370.

Edit 2: So instead, I searched online and I simply booked on www.avis.co.uk (versus .ca) and for the exact same itinerary and vehicle, I was able to snatch the rental price for $435CAD, pick up in YYC drop off in YVR. Very odd, but just saved $550. Expedia.co.uk lowest rate was $600CAD, which was still $390 cheaper than .ca/.com. Does anyone know why?

Last edited by cysnows; Mar 24, 2014 at 8:34 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cysnows
I was able to snatch the rental price for $435CAD, pick up in YYC drop off in YVR. Very odd, but just saved $550. Expedia.co.uk lowest rate was $600CAD, which was still $390 cheaper than .ca/.com. Does anyone know why?
Double check if your miles are unlimited.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:36 am

I see the following

"0 Free Kilometers Included
$0.25 Each Additional Kilometer, Calculated On Return And Actual Kilometers Driven "

Does this mean I will be charged 25 cents for each kilometer I drive?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I see the following

"0 Free Kilometers Included
$0.25 Each Additional Kilometer, Calculated On Return And Actual Kilometers Driven "

Does this mean I will be charged 25 cents for each kilometer I drive?
Yes.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sz2628
Double check if your miles are unlimited.
"Basic price includes: All Mandatory Charges, Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), Additional Liability Insurance, Tax, One Way Fee, Unlimited kilometres. Please note, that in the case of cancellation, no show or modification of your Pay Now reservation, your payment will be refundable subject to the fees set out in Booking Terms and Conditions."

I believe this means I have unlimited miles as well.

Even if the charge was $0.25/km, assuming 1500KM drive, it would be $435+$375 = $810, which is still $180 cheaper than $990.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by cysnows
"Basic price includes: All Mandatory Charges, Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), Additional Liability Insurance, Tax, One Way Fee, Unlimited kilometres. Please note, that in the case of cancellation, no show or modification of your Pay Now reservation, your payment will be refundable subject to the fees set out in Booking Terms and Conditions."

I believe this means I have unlimited miles as well.

Even if the charge was $0.25/km, assuming 1500KM drive, it would be $435+$375 = $810, which is still $180 cheaper than $990.
Last week I used Avis UK or a Florida rental and the agent insisted that I must have a UK license or passport to rent with that rate.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bruceba
Last week I used Avis UK or a Florida rental and the agent insisted that I must have a UK license or passport to rent with that rate.
For using an international rate yes you do. You must have either a non us license or passport, in some cases a return flight also works (non domestic of course).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sz2628
For using an international rate yes you do. You must have either a non us license or passport, in some cases a return flight also works (non domestic of course).
Do you know if this requirement is documented anywhere?

I didn't see anything in the T&C when booking.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Update from this- I was able to pickup @ $480 rate instead of $990 /w AVIS.co.uk @ YYC with Canadian drivers license/passport with no problems.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
were you charged a mileage fee?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:46 am

Cars are usually not sent "back" for one-ways between corporate stores. The higher prices are to limit demand for outbounds from cities with inventory shortages, and to direct demand outbound from cities with a surplus to those predicted to run low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.