Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Avis | Preferred
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 23, 13, 2:13 am   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
AWD/4WD SUV from Avis

I plan to rent a car from Avis NY JFK in early Jan. I am trying to get a AWD/4WD for the possible snow. I have contacted Avis and been told the only way to get such a car is by going for the Elite SUV...

Does anyone have experiences with the Intermediate and Standard SUVs? Are any of then 4WD/AWD or is there any way to secure one?
Tim182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 13, 8:09 am   #2
Moderator: Avis and Budget
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 6,369
Don't buy the "elite SUVs have AWD/4WD", it's a crappy upsell try and a lie by Avis. Some in each category will be 2WD/AWD/4WD but there's no way to be sure before you get there. Reserving something bigger won't guarantee anything but might give you more bargaining power when you show up.
__________________
Formerly IAHtraveler. Currently ILMtraveler

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Sep 29, 13 at 9:00 pm.
IAHtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 13, 5:28 am   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Don't buy the "elite SUVs have AWD/4WD", it's a crappy upsell try and a lie by Avis. Some in each category will be 2WD/AWD/4WD but there's no way to be sure before you get there. Reserving something bigger won't guarantee anything but might give you more bargaining power when you show up.
Thanks. What I find confusing is that the standard SUV is slightly cheaper than the intermediate SUV... I thought intermediate was smaller and should be cheaper...?

And even more confusing is that both standard SUV and intermediate are more expensive than the luxury class.

If it wasn't for winter I would go that that in a minute but I really do not want to end up with a RWD car in snow...

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Sep 29, 13 at 9:00 pm.
Tim182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 13, 1:23 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SYR
Programs: US-Platnium, HH-Diamond, AVIS-Presidents Club
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim182 View Post
If it wasn't for winter I would go that that in a minute but I really do not want to end up with a RWD car in snow...
Almost all SUV's in the Northeast have 4WD.
Almost all non-SUV's are Front Wheel Drive... a few exceptions of course.
Chances of getting a RWD car in NYC is incredibly slim.
bkafrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 13, 7:04 am   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkafrick View Post
Almost all SUV's in the Northeast have 4WD.
Almost all non-SUV's are Front Wheel Drive... a few exceptions of course.
Chances of getting a RWD car in NYC is incredibly slim.
Thanks!
Tim182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 13, 4:27 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 90210
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Don't buy the "elite SUVs have AWD/4WD", it's a crappy upsell try and a lie by Avis. Some in each category will be 2WD/AWD/4WD but there's no way to be sure before you get there. Reserving something bigger won't guarantee anything but might give you more bargaining power when you show up.
The reason they say this is because the Yukon XL, Expeditions, and Suburbans all come in 4X4.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Sep 29, 13 at 9:01 pm.
sz2628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 13, 9:01 pm   #7
Moderator: Avis and Budget
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by sz2628 View Post
The reason they say this is because the Yukon XL, Expeditions, and Suburbans all come in 4X4.
It's an option, but not standard.
__________________
Formerly IAHtraveler. Currently ILMtraveler
IAHtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 13, 2:40 pm   #8
QBK
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ABQ
Programs: UA 1K & UC, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, AS, US, AA
Posts: 839
The Intermediate SUV class is actually a pretty good bet, because it includes two Subarus (Outback and Forester) that only come in AWD. I've seen a lot of Outbacks in various Select-and-Go sections, and if you call ahead 24 hours and request a Subaru, you've got a pretty good shot.

Most of the other SUVs come in both 2WD and AWD configurations, so if you get an Escape, Compass, or whatever, you'll want to check the configuration. My experience is that it's usually obvious on the vehicle itself, but the agent in the booth will have no idea how your assigned vehicle is configured (it's in their system, but hidden way down deep).
QBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 13, 4:16 pm   #9
Moderator: Avis and Budget
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
My experience is that it's usually obvious on the vehicle itself, but the agent in the booth will have no idea how your assigned vehicle is configured (it's in their system, but hidden way down deep).
Same experience here. One quick way to tell is to look at the keys if the agent has the keys but the cars are out in a lot. The model name will typically (but not always) be followed by a 4 if it's a 4x4/AWD.
__________________
Formerly IAHtraveler. Currently ILMtraveler
IAHtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 pm.