Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Avis | Preferred
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 13, 12, 8:58 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: Premier, Marriott Gold, Alamo Race Car tester
Posts: 65
Fuel surcharge on a 9 mile rental?

I rented today from Avis like I always do in SoCal. Ended up only driving 9 miles, tank was still full on a car that gets 20+ MPG. I didnt have a receipt for "filling" up the car upon return.. I kept saying.. I went NINE miles... "well, you still need to replace the gas" I kept saying.. what gas did I use in NINE miles... ended up charging my $13.95 fuel surcharge. They never stated this when I rented in the morning. I know Avis has this at some facilities, but not all. Normally when DO have the fuel surcharge on less than 75 miles, they tell you before you leave or there is a sign, etc. No sign, no warning, nothing.

.......s... anyone else seen this practice?
tomme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:24 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Between EWR & PHL
Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Silver; Hilton HHonors Silver; Avis First
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme12 View Post
I rented today from Avis like I always do in SoCal. Ended up only driving 9 miles, tank was still full on a car that gets 20+ MPG. I didnt have a receipt for "filling" up the car upon return.. I kept saying.. I went NINE miles... "well, you still need to replace the gas" I kept saying.. what gas did I use in NINE miles... ended up charging my $13.95 fuel surcharge. They never stated this when I rented in the morning. I know Avis has this at some facilities, but not all. Normally when DO have the fuel surcharge on less than 75 miles, they tell you before you leave or there is a sign, etc. No sign, no warning, nothing.

.......s... anyone else seen this practice?
If you don't produce a receipt when you return the car, you're going to be charged for refueling. It's automatic for any return showing < 75 mi driven. The policy is usually posted on a sign at the desk (which, if you're Preferred, you probably wouldn't see because you've bypassed the desk) and sometimes provided via a sticky-note on the Preferred contract card (or possibly on the tear-off portion of the contract card). It's also posted on the website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://redirect.avis.com/services/fso/index.html
EZFuelTM and Fuel Service Charge
If you don't choose the Fuel Service Option and you bring the car back less than full, you'll pay a fuel service charge. If you drive 75 miles or more, depending on whether you bought fuel during your rental, this charge will be a per-mile or per-gallon rate and will be stated on your rental agreement.

At most locations, if you drive less than 75 miles, we will add a flat EZFuel service charge to the rental. This can be avoided if you've purchased fuel and provide us with a receipt.
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:38 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: Premier, Marriott Gold, Alamo Race Car tester
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
If you don't produce a receipt when you return the car, you're going to be charged for refueling. It's automatic for any return showing < 75 mi driven. The policy is usually posted on a sign at the desk (which, if you're Preferred, you probably wouldn't see because you've bypassed the desk) and sometimes provided via a sticky-note on the Preferred contract card (or possibly on the tear-off portion of the contract card). It's also posted on the website:
At SNA, there is no preferred desk. Walk up, say your name, ID, give you the keys, off you go. No sign for EZ Fuel, does not say EZfuel or under 75 miles on my cardstock they gave me.. only the cost per mile .58$ or 9.82 per gallon or something ?

Maybe its just a crappy Avis airport office?
tomme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:46 pm   #4
Used to be spsawant
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: Marriott Silver, PC Gold, HH Silver, Starwood Gold, AA Plat, Avis First
Posts: 553
Fuel surcharge on a 9 mile rental?

First of all you have 15 grace miles to fill gas. For 9 miles they should not have charged you anything.
DFWsakp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:48 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, EY Gold, TK Elite, AR Plat, SPGPlatinum
Posts: 13,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme12 View Post
I rented today from Avis like I always do in SoCal. Ended up only driving 9 miles, tank was still full on a car that gets 20+ MPG. I didnt have a receipt for "filling" up the car upon return.. I kept saying.. I went NINE miles... "well, you still need to replace the gas" I kept saying.. what gas did I use in NINE miles... ended up charging my $13.95 fuel surcharge. They never stated this when I rented in the morning. I know Avis has this at some facilities, but not all. Normally when DO have the fuel surcharge on less than 75 miles, they tell you before you leave or there is a sign, etc. No sign, no warning, nothing.
.......s... anyone else seen this practice?
Yes, I've seen this before... in SFO.
In many markets, Avis used to include a preprinted post-it type note about the 75 miles/$13.95 charge on the back of the contract printout. I noticed that they stopped including the note at SJC earlier this year
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 9:56 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: Premier, Marriott Gold, Alamo Race Car tester
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWsakp View Post
First of all you have 15 grace miles to fill gas. For 9 miles they should not have charged you anything.
15 grace miles??? hmmmm.... is that printed anywhere at avis?
tomme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 10:21 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
If I travel less than 75 miles, do I have to refill the tank since I will be automatically charged the fuel surcharge without a gas receipt?
DanInRealLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 10:47 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: United Silver, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 537
If you have the inclination, email corporate. There's a good chance they will remove / credit back the charge. I ran into a similar situation at IAD after I went with the 75 mile option. Easy fix.
EkekoBWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 7:41 am   #9
Moderator: Avis and Budget
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInRealLife View Post
If I travel less than 75 miles, do I have to refill the tank since I will be automatically charged the fuel surcharge without a gas receipt?
If you go under 75 miles, you have two options:

1. Fill yourself AND produce a receipt upon return. Avis doesn't add any fees.
2. Don't produce a receipt (whether or not you refilled) and you'll pay the EZ Fuel fee.
__________________
Formerly IAHtraveler. Currently ILMtraveler
IAHtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 10:50 am   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: IAD
Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Posts: 299
I feel like this charge isn't really warranted by Avis, and that it misleads the consumer, but now you know. Just pump in $1.50 to avoid a $13.95 charge.
soccerguy985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 10:54 am   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boston Suburbrs
Programs: US Plat
Posts: 907
And if you rented a car that dropped to 7/8 after driving only 9 miles, you wouldn't complain bitterly that Avis gave you a car that wasn't really full, right?
ludocdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 11:06 am   #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CDG
Programs: More shiny with hotels than airlines.
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
The policy is usually posted on a sign at the desk (which, if you're Preferred, you probably wouldn't see because you've bypassed the desk) and sometimes provided via a sticky-note on the Preferred contract card (or possibly on the tear-off portion of the contract card).
Happened to me also but in my case, it was not in the contract. So only thing in the contract was the 8/8 of fuel I agreed with when picking the car. I also drove very few miles and didn't stop by the gas station for a quarter of a gallon, but I brought back the car with a clear 8/8 in accordance to my picking.

Had a polite argument with the guy who wanted the receipt but he finally admitted that he couldn't at the same time confirm the 8/8 on return AND charge for gas.
pititom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 12:55 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Between EWR & PHL
Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Silver; Hilton HHonors Silver; Avis First
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme12 View Post
At SNA, there is no preferred desk. Walk up, say your name, ID, give you the keys, off you go. No sign for EZ Fuel, does not say EZfuel or under 75 miles on my cardstock they gave me.. only the cost per mile .58$ or 9.82 per gallon or something ?

Maybe its just a crappy Avis airport office?
The sign may have been at the 'normal' desk in the airport terminal, but I've seen it at just about every station.
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 1:32 pm   #14
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DCA
Posts: 4,396
Yeah, I've seen it almost everywhere too. Drive less than 75 miles, get the surcharge added on unless you produce receipt of fillup.

Still better than Hertz, where they would charge me for a full tank of gas even though I drove more than 75 miles and produced a receipt...
drzoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 12, 7:04 am   #15
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 14,065
Ok - here's a twist on the situation. Normally I rent from National, but I made a mistake and booked one day too early and couldn't switch because the location PHL was sold out (as were other agencies). Avis had some specialty cars available so I booked one without any other options available. Booked a Prius for $140 for 1 day - of course when I arrived, there wasn't one so they gave me a Kia Optima and adjusted the rate down $20 (fair enough). During the rental I drove 76 miles, did fill up the tank ($12.00 or 3+ gallons), turned the car in the agent asked if I had a chance to get gas (which was yes) but didn't show the receipt since I wasn't aware of the policy and the pump wouldn't print the receipt right there anyways, got the receipt - and it said drove 76 miles, Fuel tank was full, but was charged $9.30 for fuel - called corporate service and it was adjusted off.

In the end it was fine, but there obviously was a hassle factor.
peteropny is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:04 am.