No one-way fee on "Cool cars"? UK booking

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
No one-way fee on "Cool cars"? UK booking

Hello Avis Gurus,

I'm not a big car renter, so please bear with me.

I need to pick up a car in London (somewhere central-ish) and do a one-way to a regional airport (MAN).

Booking on avis.com (US site) when I look for London locations I get two entries for all non-airport stations, one has regular fleet and one "cool cars". If I book a cool car there is no one-way fee, if I book a regular fleet there is!

Is this legit? I don't want to get to the counter and then get hit with it.

TIA
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:41 am

I think "cool cars" translates as "select series" in Avis UK.
As far as I recall, select series vehicles are not available for one-way hire.
I wonder if something has been lost in the translation between UK and US booking systems.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by gbsfo
If I book a cool car there is no one-way fee, if I book a regular fleet there is!
Where do you see no one way fee?

Just tried it myself on avis.com, selected a "cool car" (LHR-MAN) and it was showing me a $62 one way fee...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
I think "cool cars" translates as "select series" in Avis UK.
Correct.

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
As far as I recall, select series vehicles are not available for one-way hire.
Incorrect.

As long as the return location offers a Select series fleet, you can certainly book a one way, albiet the one way fee is pretty steep (but that's nothing to do with the select series, it's the case with any car).
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Originally Posted by clubman
Where do you see no one way fee?

Just tried it myself on avis.com, selected a "cool car" (LHR-MAN) and it was showing me a $62 one way fee...
This was not from LHR to MAN, it was from one of the central London stations to MAN. Apparently they have these "cool cars" at non airport stations in London?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
This was not from LHR to MAN, it was from one of the central London stations to MAN. Apparently they have these "cool cars" at non airport stations in London?
Yep - a few. All locations listed here.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was not from LHR to MAN, it was from one of the central London stations to MAN
Still getting the one way fee even when trying other pickup locations (Euston and Victoria).
In fact there is even an extra message saying that the One Way free is subject to tax in some locations...

Are you 100% sure about this? Can you walk us through the booking process you're trying and tell me what appears under Estimated Total in the right hand windows (red) on stage 3 of the booking process? (after choosing the car).

Last edited by clubman; Jul 24, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.