Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Preferred Select & Go Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
This was supposed to be the official thread on Select & Go.

And, no, I used Select & Go dozens of times, last time maybe a year or so ago, and never got charged anything for the Exchange, and was always booking either Compact or Economy. So it's not always been that way. Plus, as I said, I can't find it anywhere on the Avis site.

However, I was always using it when Avis Preferred/First upgraded me to something "too big" (typically an SUV). So maybe that had something to do with it (ie, I was "exchanging" to get something less than what I got upgraded to)?
Maybe you got lucky, but searching this very own thread it says intermediate as a requirement. I'm sure having First helps though.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
This was supposed to be the official thread on Select & Go.

And, no, I used Select & Go dozens of times, last time maybe a year or so ago, and never got charged anything for the Exchange, and was always booking either Compact or Economy. So it's not always been that way. Plus, as I said, I can't find it anywhere on the Avis site.

However, I was always using it when Avis Preferred/First upgraded me to something "too big" (typically an SUV). So maybe that had something to do with it (ie, I was "exchanging" to get something less than what I got upgraded to)?
I can verify what mittencuh said - the minimum car class requirement has been in place since Select & Go was announced. Whether the station(s) you were renting from were ENFORCING the req. is another story.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Does Select & Go free Exchange now require a certain minimum rental class or not?

The website:

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/cont...o-US_en-033067

says nothing about needing to rent a specific car class.

But as I was picking up a rental at MCI (Kansas City) a couple days ago, I walked by a sign saying something that Exchange was free if you had rented a mid-size or full-size (or something like that). Huh??? In the past, I've rented Economy or Compact and been able to use Exchange for free (sometimes as Avis First, other times as just Avis Preferred). Did something change recently about this or not?
Hah, seems like we've got the Avis Lurker here again. Within 24 hours of you posting that, the page now shows "...when you reserve an intermediate vehicle or larger."

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...o-US_en-033067

Another public request to "Avis Lurker": We would love to have you or someone here from Avis as an official company rep. Many other travel companies have a rep (or group of reps operating as one person) on FlyerTalk and I think it would be great to have someone from Avis also. If you're interested, please send me a Private Message and we can get you set-up.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critic
I can verify what mittencuh said - the minimum car class requirement has been in place since Select & Go was announced. Whether the station(s) you were renting from were ENFORCING the req. is another story.
It's beyond "not enforced". Back in fall 2012, Avis (Avis.RentACar [email protected]) was proactively sending me emails like this on rentals that were reserved as either Economy or Compact:
Welcome to LOS ANGELES AP CA.

Your FORD EXPLORER 4WD is ready. Go to parking space P22 in our Avis Preferred area. (License plate # (NV) xxxxxx; Rental Agreement # zzzzzzzzz)

Your rental document will be ready at the exit gate (because we're paperless now). Just show the agent your driver's license.

And if the FORD is not exactly what you wanted, you can exchange or upgrade from our Select & Go area.
Now, Ford Explorer 4WD is way above Economy or Compact, and what was in the Exchange area was either more of those SUVs or cars only a class or two above what I had resereved. So again, while the rules seem to say "reserve" an intermediate, the actuality seems to be if you get "over upgraded" (to something far above what you reserved), you apparently can use the Exchange area (as opposed to going back to the Preferred booth and bothering a clerk about how you don't want an SUV, you want a "normal car", and then them having to find you one, which seems more work for them than to just let you use Exchange).

Having said all that, in my most recent rentals, I haven't been geting ridiculously (for me) huge vehicles, and so I haven't tried to use Exchange.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 17, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:53 am

^^ Are you certain you reserved an economy or compact class? An Explorer is quite a huge upgrade from that. That's simply an automatically generated email so I'm assuming since the class of the car assigned is much higher than intermediate it simply included the line about Select and Go.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:49 am

Arrived at LAX location around 5:30 last night, was assigned a Mazda 6 (full-size reservation), went over to the exchange area, and found 3 cars: A Nissan Murano, a Ford Escape (no keys), and a Nissan Altima (no keys). Went inside to ask if they were bringing out more cars and was flat out told "no." Stuck with the Mazda 6. Some program!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
LAX is the WORST. Don't judge the program based on your experience there.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:16 pm

I don't, I've had much better experiences at CMH (even got an MK-Z on one trip).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mittencuh
^^ Are you certain you reserved an economy or compact class? An Explorer is quite a huge upgrade from that. That's simply an automatically generated email so I'm assuming since the class of the car assigned is much higher than intermediate it simply included the line about Select and Go.
Yes, I am certain that I was reserving economy or compact class. This was "rentals runs" for an airline promo (which worked on one-day rentals), and I was reserving what was abolute cheapest, and that was certainly economy or compact. (Compact was I think ever so slightly more, but I was doing back-to-back one-day rentals to max out the promo, and I wanted an "excuse" of needing a different type of car if they would ever ask. But of course they never asked.)

I actually ran into this "over-upgrade" at a number of different Avis locations for several years, not just at LAX. (I haven't on my most recent rentals, though.) It was always to some sort of SUV, which in most cases I didn't want. I presume it was because it was what they had the most unrented stock of, not because it was the next level up (which of course it wasn't).

Anyway, the last point you make is the one I've been trying to get at. No matter what is says the rules are, it seems to be like the implementation might be that Select & Go access is based on the car you get (after the ugprade), not on the car you reserved.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:35 pm

I was reserving what was abolute cheapest, and that was certainly economy or compact.
I've rented cars on several occasions where larger car classes were cheaper than smaller car classes.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abefroman329
I've rented cars on several occasions where larger car classes were cheaper than smaller car classes.
I have too. But that was not the case the Avis LAX at that time (fall 2012 multiple weekends). I definitely remember that I was alternating between economy and compact, and those were indeed the cheapest two at that location on those days.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:39 am

I actually dropped that car off at SNA, is Select and Go any better there? The facility looked pretty awful, buried in the basement of the parking garage.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:12 pm

I actually dropped that car off at SNA, is Select and Go any better there? The facility looked pretty awful, buried in the basement of the parking garage.
Probably not. Smaller airport stations generally don't have Select & Go. (I know BUR doesn't.)
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
Probably not. Smaller airport stations generally don't have Select & Go. (I know BUR doesn't.)
Comparing BUR and SNA is apples and oranges.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no Select & Go at SNA (nor at most smaller airports).

The list of Select & Go locations is here:

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...o-US_en-033067

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.