Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Airport Question

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Heathrow Airport Question

Can anyone tell me if the Avis & Budget locations at Heathrow airport in London have been merged into one building?
I have a Budget Fastbreak rental and I think I have to take the Avis shuttle from the terminal?
Thank you in advance.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: QF PS, AA
When I last rented from Avis Heathrow in January the Budget location was still in a separate building about 100m from the Avis building. The same (red) shuttles serve both locations and drop off and pick up from both. In the past when I have made a Budget booking but due to a delayed flight arrived after the Budget location had closed I was served by the Avis location with no problem. I have also returned a Budget car to Avis when Budget were closed. Avis operate 24/7 and Budget do not. Perhaps someone who has been more recently can update?
Old May 9, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
I was there on Friday. Budget is separate from Avis (although I'm not sure about out-of-hours arrangements). You will board the Avis bus and the driver will ask whether you are for Avis or Budget.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Just to add, there is a 'Budget' sign on the Avis shuttle bus as well.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: *
Another LHR question. If I return a car 1 or 2 hours post 24 hour mark, will they likely charge a whole days rental, part of it or waive it entirely?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:26 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:04 am
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by angatol
I returned a car at LHR 31 minutes late and was charged more for that 31 minutes than the daily rate. I did manage to get the charge removed after a bit of pleading. The grace period is 29 minutes.
Wow. Thanks for the info. I haven't used avis in the UK before but judging from what I see in this forum, I probably won't be using it again as they seem very user unfriendly and eager to bill and charge for anything they can lay their hands on. I usually use a rival company at heathrow (but had to use avis this time as no auto cars) and in over hundred rentals have not ever been charged for late return even up to 2 hours later and have not had a dime extra directly removed from my credit card despite few vehicle damages (including one major bash) - the other company has always made a claim for damage direct to mastercard as opposed to taking the money off my card and leaving me to fight the battle.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Isn't the renter supposed to return the car within 24 hours? The fact is that grace period is a courtesy, not a "right" so how can one get upset about being charged for keeping a car longer than a standard day?

In the example by angatol, the car wasn't 2 minutes late... it was 31 minutes late.

Anyway, the late fee is calculated by the hourly rate listed on the contract, up to the amount listed as the daily rate. It's an automated thing, but it can be overridden.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:08 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:40 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
Isn't the renter supposed to return the car within 24 hours?
Agree but the companies do not refund you if you return the car three hours early so why get anal if you return the car few minutes late? Indeed they make tons and tons of money from passengers returning cars with several hours left on rental period. We never go demanding a right to a refund - of course we didn't write the rules of engagement, so we just have to accept what we are dealt.

As I said I use another big company at Heathrow and the last thing they would do is bicker with customers over few dollars here and there, but rather they look at the big picture and want you back next time. Of course what isn't considered is that AVIS records the time rental starts as when you do your transaction at the desk. Sometimes depending on situation it can be another half hour before you actually get the car and drive out - yet they will charge you if you overrun by one minute?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.