New to President's Club

Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, National Exec
New to President's Club

So I'm new to President's Club and wanted to get a better understanding of how the two class upgrade works.

If I reserve a Full Size, does that mean that I'm then upgraded into Luxury or Specialty?

Also, what is the best way to ensure ahead of time that the location may have that level of car.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by squashgw
If I reserve a Full Size, does that mean that I'm then upgraded into Luxury or Specialty?
A 2-class upgrade from full size is luxury (their car classes go subcompact-> compact -> intermediate -> standard -> full -> premium -> luxury). They consider "specialty" to be above everything else (yes, they consider Mustang and Eclipse coupes are higher ranking than a CTS...). However, you shouldn't have an issue getting most specialty cars if they are available and you reserve full size (obviously not the Corvette, and sometimes the Camaro or others, depending upon the location)

Also, what is the best way to ensure ahead of time that the location may have that level of car.
Like hotels and airplanes, car upgrades are "as available." You really cannot ensure they will have a specific class available when you show up, not even your reserved class... just how they are.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, National Exec
Thanks IAHtraveler; the woman who just converted my account to PC said the highest class that you can get upgraded into is Premium. So is that not true?

Anyone with experience on this?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Thanks IAHtraveler; the woman who just converted my account to PC said the highest class that you can get upgraded into is Premium. So is that not true?

Anyone with experience on this?
According to the exact 'rules' that is correct. However, if the luxury cars are available the locations are sometimes willing to put you in them. It really just depends on the location.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've had times when i've reserved a Cobalt and was offered a Lincoln Town Car (I declined for a Sonata instead). So your mileage may vary.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: One or two :)
Does this work when in the UK? I have the President's club membership, and I have always received the car class that I have booked

Side note - the rates for the Christmas break are horrendous at LHR. Almost double the rate that I paid back in July...
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
Does this work when in the UK? I have the President's club membership, and I have always received the car class that I have booked
It's been a couple years since I've rented in the UK, but I am sure I got nice upgrades. I get excellent upgrades in France, NL and Germany as Presidents Club.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's been a couple years since I've rented in the UK, but I am sure I got nice upgrades. I get excellent upgrades in France, NL and Germany as Presidents Club.
I have made a reservation for a Group C car at GNB in France this Feb through the BA website. I am planning to produce my PC card when pickup. I have 2 questions:

1) Should I call ahead to let Avis know that the reservation is made by someone with PC status or leave it at pickup?
2) What kind of upgrade from Group C would they offer?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by lowdownlo
I have made a reservation for a Group C car at GNB in France this Feb through the BA website. I am planning to produce my PC card when pickup. I have 2 questions:

1) Should I call ahead to let Avis know that the reservation is made by someone with PC status or leave it at pickup?
2) What kind of upgrade from Group C would they offer?
You should definitely call Avis and have them put your PC card on the reservation. If you wait, you will likely not get an upgrade at all. They don't have a large number of cars there so it's best that they know you are coming. You never know for sure what kind of upgrade you will get. I got a Mercedes C220 with my last Group C reservation in France. And the next time I reserved Group E and got a Volvo B60. It really depends on what they have available on the lot. I can tell you that Sunday evenings and Monday mornings yield the best upgrades in Europe. Generally.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:58 am

So as a PC member, should we rent as a standard car or full-size in the US?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ayodeji13
So as a PC member, should we rent as a standard car or full-size in the US?
You're entitled to a (if available) double-upgrade. So if you rent C class, you get E, etc, etc.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I just looked at my last 12 months of Avis rentals, and compared what I reserved, which was Intermediate, with what was rented.

8 rentals were made with Preferred status and an upgrade of at least 1 class was waiting for me 4 times. Another 2 times it was an SUV, and 2 times it was what I reserved(no upgrade, and I didn't ask to change).

The 4 rentals I made with Presidents Club status resulted in 1 Luxury and 2 Premium cars without having to ask. One rental had a SUV assigned and I asked for and got a brand new compact that I requested because it was a new for 2012 model that I hadn't yet driven.

I'm happy that I get an upgraded car frequently without having to ask.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by COIAHLGW

Side note - the rates for the Christmas break are horrendous at LHR. Almost double the rate that I paid back in July...
As long as you're Wizard number is in the booking you should get the double upgrade in the UK too and I've never had an issue or had to ask.
Are you sure you're not booking a "Select" car? And where are you renting from?

As for the rates, yes, they are high but are you using the PC AWD code?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
So I'm new to President's Club and wanted to get a better understanding of how the two class upgrade works.

I am on year-three as a President's Club member with Avis and have had nothing but great experiences. I always reserve full size and have had little difficulty getting upgrades to pretty much whatever I want. the majority of my experience is in the US and mainly at airport locations. Upgrades for me have ranged anywhere from Towncars to Yukon XL's. Last week I was upgraded from a full size to a Tahoe by asking for it (they had me booked in a smaller SUV). I book on highly discounted rates and my service has not diminished.

Truly, I am a happy camper with Avis and though I previously was dedicated to Enterprise (who also took good care of me), Avis has earned my steady business for three years and I have no plans of changing.

Congrats on the new status, enjoy it.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
YMMV

I have been PC for the last 12 years or so. No complaints and am a loyal Avis renter. IME, the upgrade experience vary's primarily by availability - and sometimes by location. PHL, for example, always used to give me a Cadillac, but over the past year or so, I am lucky to get a KIA, (no problem with this as long as the lost is not full of premium or luxury rides). MCI always goes above and beyond to acknowledge status and indicate that they gave the best they had a available. DFW pretty much lets you choose whatever you want except for the rare BMW. BWI makes an honest effort and is amenable to "swap" suggestions but can get very depleted based on rental volume. DCA can take a little more effort at the counter - but again I suspect this is capacity related.

I just wish they would bring back the Itunes certs. I stocked my ipod with over 1,000 songs back when that was an offering!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.