Wiki Posts
Search

Debit Cards ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Debit Cards ?

Hi,

A friend wants to rent a car for a day from BUF to Niagra Falls. He wants to use a debit card. Does Avis accept debit cards now?

He indicated he had tried to do so in Philly airport and was rejected.

Would appreciate any information -

Regards, Noela
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:41 pm

Preferred has that option but A valid CC is still required.

DTW offers debit cards...But the hold is like $500+ and they have a disclaimer saying the hold takes like 10+ days to clear.

/cliff notes

I guess it depends on location, and Preferred status and the fact you still need a valid CC on file.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:44 pm

Why not use a CC? No CC?

Can't you always pay with a debit card as long as you held with a CC? I guess I have never bothered to pay with anything other than my CC on file at the time, but they always ask if i want to keep it on my amex.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a CC yet.

rgds, N

Originally Posted by gj83
Why not use a CC? No CC?

Can't you always pay with a debit card as long as you held with a CC? I guess I have never bothered to pay with anything other than my CC on file at the time, but they always ask if i want to keep it on my amex.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
He should get a "secured" credit card to build credit and ease the car rental experience...most credit unions and a few major banks (Bank of America being one) offer secured cards where your deposit in a savings account is equal to your credit limit, generally ranging from $300 to $10K.

Best part is, if the card is a Visa it will include free secondary loss damage waiver coverage for rental cars, which all Visa credit cards, but not debit cards, offer. And it looks and acts just like a 'real' credit card at the rental counter, so no $500 holds or extra suspicion from the agents.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by Noela
Does Avis accept debit cards now?
You should check with the branch directly because their policies differ, but in my experience they require that you have a "Major Credit Card in your name" as a condition of rental.

I have used a debit card for rentals sometimes and gotten away with it because it just says VISA on the card and it isn't obvious that it is a debit card rather than a credit card.

Sometimes they even ask for two credit cards.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by sundrop
Preferred has that option but A valid CC is still required.

DTW offers debit cards...But the hold is like $500+ and they have a disclaimer saying the hold takes like 10+ days to clear.

/cliff notes

I guess it depends on location, and Preferred status and the fact you still need a valid CC on file.
I just rented from Avis in Calgary and used my Discover card. The agent had never seen on before!! He had to ask how to enter it. When I got home I checked my account and there was an authorization hold for $500 CAD on my card...turned out it was from them and it took 2 weeks to get off my card. Was a major pain...good thing I have other credit cards!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
debit

I rented with a debit card in STL back in '04 when my credit card was rejected. The counter person was most helpful in arranging it.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I have used a debit card with National many times. I found that they were the best to work with. One thing that made it easier was signing up for the Emerald Aisle program ahead of time that way they had some information already on file regarding who you are and your flight / airline info. You just show them your flight info and you are on your way!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:03 am

you cannot be under 25 and use a debit card. you can do either or. Call the res center and tell them where you will be renting. They will look up the debit requirements for your location. Foriegn (non u.s. bank) debit cards will never be accepted at the beginning of the rental, but will be accepted at the end.

Depending on the region, debit cards will be holding 300+, meaning the minimum hold will be your estimated total, or the minimum, which ever is greater.

There are 2-3 regions around the nation which do not accept debit cards at all, but any manager, given the right situation, may waive it. But if a manager waives the card and allows it, and it gets turned back, the manager risks their job, so those willing to waive debits out of policy are few and far between. I only did it 3 times in 5 years before debit cards were allowed, all were individuals whom had ties to big accounts where I was sure I could track them down. Average joe schmo barely had a chance to get by me, lest I risk my job.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:26 pm

If your still watching this thread, do you ever have people who buy the loss damage waver so they can go and total the car? I know you would have a hard time telling but do you ever have that suspition and how often does that suspition turn into reality?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
If your still watching this thread, do you ever have people who buy the loss damage waver so they can go and total the car? I know you would have a hard time telling but do you ever have that suspicion and how often does that suspicion turn into reality?

People *willingly* get into car accidents?
Old May 14, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold, AVIS Preferred, SIXT Platinum
A valid CC is no longer required if you are Preferred. I have rented many cars from their Signature Series all over the states on a VISA Debit card.

At any US airport, even some European you simply show your license; either at the Preferred desk or at many locations, a billboard has your name and a stall number on it and you go straight to your stall where your car is parked, pick the keys, show your license to the attendant and you're out.

Many US locations has "Select & Go" where you can choose to change, upgrade or keep your current car. Works excellent, specially at MIA.
Old May 14, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by kimfrost
A valid CC is no longer required if you are Preferred. I have rented many cars from their Signature Series all over the states on a VISA Debit card.

At any US airport, even some European you simply show your license; either at the Preferred desk or at many locations, a billboard has your name and a stall number on it and you go straight to your stall where your car is parked, pick the keys, show your license to the attendant and you're out.

Many US locations has "Select & Go" where you can choose to change, upgrade or keep your current car. Works excellent, specially at MIA.
Yes, a debit card is sufficient at many Avis locations, maybe even all corporate locations, but some franchisees will give you a hard time. Also, many Avis locations have a sign on the counter which says something like "if you are using a debit card, three times the amount of the rental will be placed on hold for up to ten days," or similar. So, if you are planning on using a debit card, and the amount of the rental will be $300 ai, then make sure you have at least $1,000 free on your debit card for the hold. Upon check out, you can ask them to release the hold balance, but not all will do it.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Dude - you reopened a thread from 2007 - six years ago.

FT T&C state to not open threads more than two years old. There was no need to reply to this.

Mods - please lock/close this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.