How do I add a 2nd driver on the reservation

Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:10 am
Original Poster

How do I add a 2nd driver on the reservation

I want to add a second driver on the reservation to pick up the car with me. Can I do this. The reason is I lost, as in I can't find - not that it was taken away by the DMV, my license and want to drive home to my home state to pick up a new license at the local DMV to my parents. However I realized that I can not rent a car without a physical license or can I?

any thoughts or ideas?

its too cost prohibitive at this time to fly
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uElliots
I want to add a second driver on the reservation to pick up the car with me. Can I do this. The reason is I lost, as in I can't find - not that it was taken away by the DMV, my license and want to drive home to my home state to pick up a new license at the local DMV to my parents. However I realized that I can not rent a car without a physical license or can I?

any thoughts or ideas?

its too cost prohibitive at this time to fly
Unfortunately, you can neither rent a car nor be added on as an additional driver on an existing rental without presenting a valid drivers license (well, unless you find a rep willing to risk their job for you).

Are you a student? Can you just transfer residency to the state in which you currently reside and get a license through their DMV? Can you request a replacement (or at least a temporary replacement) from your home DMV via mail?

The other option would be for a friend to rent a car, drive you home, you get a new license, get added on to the contract, drive back and pay for the rental yourself at return. Have to be a pretty good friend though, depending on distance, lol.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by uElliots
I want to add a second driver on the reservation to pick up the car with me. Can I do this.
You can't add an additional driver on your reservation in advance of picking up the car. Additional drivers can only be added at the time or rental--when you're at the rental counter picking up the car.

Originally Posted by Elola
Are you a student? Can you just transfer residency to the state in which you currently reside and get a license through their DMV? Can you request a replacement (or at least a temporary replacement) from your home DMV via mail?
If it's an urgent need, many states will fax you a temporary driver's license that most rental agencies will accept as valid. Otherwise, I think most--if not all--will mail a temporary paper license. Check with your home state's DMV office.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:04 am

Are you saying that you will be the additional driver? All drivers on the agreement must present a license.

Do you not know enough information to get a new license issued via mail or have you maxed your mail reissues and need to go in person now?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I know that with PA, I mailed in a form for a second/copy license and the small fee ($25?) and they mailed the license to my house with the picture on file from the original license. Any chance of this for you? Have you called your DMV?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.