Search

Changes in Avianca's redemption fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Changes in Avianca's redemption fares

Just got this email:

To maintain a reasonable relation between the miles we charge for redemptions and the commercial fares available in the market, adjustments are necessary at times.

In this occasion, we are announcing changes to our redemption fares for flights with Avianca. With these changes, some destinations will require more miles and others will reduce the amount of miles required. Some routes will not have variations.

These changes will be effective on March 1st, 2016.
The link takes one to this page.

There's a list of city pairs and representative redemption costs.

The fine print:

The table shown above should be used as an illustrative example only; it's intention is to summarize the amount of miles that will be required per region for the "X" class in economy cabin. The amount of miles required for a ticket redemption is calculated based on a specific origin and destination and it might happen that they do not match the amount of miles shown on the table above, the number could be higher.
The amount of miles required could vary depending on the date, route and redemption product.
To know the exact amount of required miles for each origin and destination, it will be necessary to consult the miles amount through the redemption system at https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/use/red/dynredpar.aspx
The amounts listed by the redemption system shall prevail over those shown on the table above.
LifeMiles is a trademark of LifeMiles B.V.
I've never actually flown AV before. It seems like this applies only to their routes, and it seems that they're following some other carriers (Delta), and eliminating fixed award redemption fares (x amount between these regions), and introducing dynamic costs based on market conditions?

The main question for me is: does this affect their Star Alliance redemption chart? It doesn't seem to ... That could be a game changer.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:30 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Interesting. It specifically says that the new table relates to Avianca (not *A) flights but surely they have already been doing this. I booked some flights this week and saw BOG EZE RT for about 130,000 LMs

LM has obviously been trying to grab routes that it operates and offer you AV flights instead of UA flights for example, and those have often been higher than *A rewards
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Interesting. It specifically says that the new table relates to Avianca (not *A) flights but surely they have already been doing this. I booked some flights this week and saw BOG EZE RT for about 130,000 LMs

LM has obviously been trying to grab routes that it operates and offer you AV flights instead of UA flights for example, and those have often been higher than *A rewards
Ah. I've really no idea why I thought this was a change in policy (yanking reward charts). Maybe because the way the email was worded ("Change in redemption fares") and because Delta just did this a few months back.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:05 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gashwingomes
Ah. I've really no idea why I thought this was a change in policy (yanking reward charts). Maybe because the way the email was worded ("Change in redemption fares") and because Delta just did this a few months back.
No it's not your fault. I didn't get this email but the page you linked to specifically says its a change for March 2016.

But I think they are already doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.