Wiki Posts
Search

Why LM has been so useful to me

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Why LM has been so useful to me

Periodically, I think, we see posts on here about whether purchasing LMs is worth it or not.

I discovered LM last year, and decided to try it out. I'd made some bookings far in advance, and later had to change my plans. The cancellation process, though annoying, worked (I still haven't gotten my taxes back!)

However, what I have found is that, much to my surprise, LM awards have been useful for last minute travel in Business Class.

This year has been a difficult one because of family health emergencies. In the summer, I managed to get a o/w award ticket from DEL to the US, three days out from my preferred travel date, on AI. And just now, I have to travel urgently back to the Subcontinent. Y tickets on my preferred Alliance (SkyTeam -- I'm Atlanta based) were through the roof. With LM, I got a space in Business Class, on UA, IAD-DXB connecting on AI to DEL, leaving tomorrow! I was stunned. I purchased the ticket (it's still being ticketed), and then got a decent o/w on DL up to IAD.

This experience alone makes it worthwhile for me. These kinds of trips are more stressful than normal, as it is, and having the ability to travel in J is quite worthwhile, for far less than an outright purchase. I can't normally afford to travel Business internationally.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by gashwingomes
Periodically, I think, we see posts on here about whether purchasing LMs is worth it or not.

I discovered LM last year, and decided to try it out. I'd made some bookings far in advance, and later had to change my plans. The cancellation process, though annoying, worked (I still haven't gotten my taxes back!)

However, what I have found is that, much to my surprise, LM awards have been useful for last minute travel in Business Class.

This year has been a difficult one because of family health emergencies. In the summer, I managed to get a o/w award ticket from DEL to the US, three days out from my preferred travel date, on AI. And just now, I have to travel urgently back to the Subcontinent. Y tickets on my preferred Alliance (SkyTeam -- I'm Atlanta based) were through the roof. With LM, I got a space in Business Class, on UA, IAD-DXB connecting on AI to DEL, leaving tomorrow! I was stunned. I purchased the ticket (it's still being ticketed), and then got a decent o/w on DL up to IAD.

This experience alone makes it worthwhile for me. These kinds of trips are more stressful than normal, as it is, and having the ability to travel in J is quite worthwhile, for far less than an outright purchase. I can't normally afford to travel Business internationally.
Yes, with AI joining * alliance, and with reasonable availability on AI and pretty good hard product now with the dreamliners, AI redemptions have become one of the better options for Lifemiles, although the cost is higher compared to what it was pre-devaluation.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
For me it is the opposite, I brought 10k last year and can not find any availabilities! I hope to burn this 10k next year in a intra-Africa flight (CMN/RAK-JNB) with C+P, and leave Lifemiles for good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.